Hoffman2k's 16 macros and clip mapper

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
glitchrock-buddha

Hoffman2k's 16 macros and clip mapper

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:43 pm

Simply the most useful device to come out of Max for Live so far.

I thought I would break off a new thread from the granulator thread so that it doesn't keep hijacking that one.

But I did want to ask another question (I'd have pm'd you Hoffman but I'm sure others would be interested):

What happens if you have macros in the midi version mapped to an instrument device and you hotswap the device? Will the macros assignments stay intact? If not, then I guess changing presets is out for the native ableton instruments. I can't check until tomorrow...

cheers
Last edited by glitchrock-buddha on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Shark Jumper.

glitchrock-buddha

Re: Hoffman2k's 16 macros

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:58 am

Happy to report that hotswapping leaves all mappings intact. Even when 16 macros is on a different track. This is not only a great tool for setting up parameter layouts for an instrument or performance controls for one track, it's also great to use the audio device version on the master track as a master parameter device for your most important parameter for a song.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:54 am

Yeah, this device uses all of the persistent ID stuff that Ableton added.
You'll notice you can create racks, drop those racks inside other racks and a add couple of copies of the rack and it will still all work as expected.
Live is doing a very good job of keeping track of what went where and what is connected.

Coming soon: Similar magic with clips. The new Clip Mapper will keep track of a clip regardless of where you move it to.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:21 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Yeah, this device uses all of the persistent ID stuff that Ableton added.
You'll notice you can create racks, drop those racks inside other racks and a add couple of copies of the rack and it will still all work as expected.
Live is doing a very good job of keeping track of what went where and what is connected.

Coming soon: Similar magic with clips. The new Clip Mapper will keep track of a clip regardless of where you move it to.
I guess having program change in the midi version of 16 macros essentially does that anyways right? But since the audio doesn't have program change, I guess that's where clip mapper comes in? To have clip specific assignments for the an audio device?

I can't remember, does clip mapper recall which parameters are mapped to the device or what the values are of those parameters. I noticed that the preset switcher for 16 macros audio is automatable but not visible to clip envelopes. Wouldn't clip envelopes essentially do what clip mapper would do? Maybe that would get weird with the relative nature of clip envelopes...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:52 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:Yeah, this device uses all of the persistent ID stuff that Ableton added.

I guess having program change in the midi version of 16 macros essentially does that anyways right? But since the audio doesn't have program change, I guess that's where clip mapper comes in? To have clip specific assignments for the an audio device?

I can't remember, does clip mapper recall which parameters are mapped to the device or what the values are of those parameters. I noticed that the preset switcher for 16 macros audio is automatable but not visible to clip envelopes. Wouldn't clip envelopes essentially do what clip mapper would do? Maybe that would get weird with the relative nature of clip envelopes...
Hmm. I forgot to enable the Modulation for the loadbox it seems. I'll fix that in an update.
Which is another improvement in a way.. By not having an ever changing device title because of updates, almost any update I release will retain the data that is already stored. Loads just like any other device would.

Clip Mapper was the first real big device I built. Its where the 16 Macros 1.0 code came from. The idea was that you could assign 16 parameters to be recalled when a specific clip was triggered. If I trigger a 303 clip, I control the 303. If I triggered beats, I control the beats.
The concept was great, but the implementation sucked. You couldn't move clips, you couldn't blend different .als files, parameter values where shown in just float numbers.

Fast forward to Sixteen Macros 2.0. Even if I say so myself, this device is perfect. It keeps track of everything. It works across sets, presets and Live Clips. It does 90% of what I wanted out of my original Clip Mapper idea.

So Clip Mapper 2.0 is now going to be a simpler device. Assign a clip from anywhere to 1 of 64 preset slots. If one of the mapped clips gets triggered or starts playing, the preset number is sent out.
I want it to send to the loadbox of 16 macros. But it could also be the Chain Selector on a Rack. And it probably has some more purposes I haven't come up with yet.
Still a work in progress, but it'll be as simple as this:

Keeps perfect track of all the mapped clips. You can move them anywhere. If the clip is deleted, then so is the mapping. Mapping is going to be as easy as shift-clicking a preset slot and clicking on a clip.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:42 pm

Clip Mapper 2.0 has been released: http://bit.ly/ganBba

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:13 am

Good stuff man, I could see this being extremely useful on the master channel with a 16 macros device as a central spot to control the most important parameters for every scene.

One question - the picture shows both the audio and midi versions but the download just has the midi version. Is there an audio version download as well? (Would be necessary for Master channel).

thanks!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:12 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Good stuff man, I could see this being extremely useful on the master channel with a 16 macros device as a central spot to control the most important parameters for every scene.

One question - the picture shows both the audio and midi versions but the download just has the midi version. Is there an audio version download as well? (Would be necessary for Master channel).

thanks!
Woops. Forgot the link: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=611

coldbuggin

Re: Hoffman2k's 16 macros and clip mapper

Post by coldbuggin » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:16 pm

where is the download for the 16 macro device? I only saw one for the clip mapper.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:14 pm

Sixteen Macros - Audio: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=603
Sixteen Macros - MIDI: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=606
Clip Mapper - Audio: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=611
Clip Mapper - MIDI: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=610

I'll make this a bit easier soon with having it all in a single package.

coldbuggin

Post by coldbuggin » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:23 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Sixteen Macros - Audio: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=603
Sixteen Macros - MIDI: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=606
Clip Mapper - Audio: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=611
Clip Mapper - MIDI: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=610

I'll make this a bit easier soon with having it all in a single package.
thanks!

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:26 am

still no luck with sixteen macros...uninstall then reinstall max latest version, device still doesn't show tracks/learn...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:10 pm

rabouille wrote:still no luck with sixteen macros...uninstall then reinstall max latest version, device still doesn't show tracks/learn...
You said you were getting the error "no such object - live.thisdevice". Maybe Cycling forgot to include it in the windows installer or something. Not sure why you don't have that object, but I know I can't fix it. Its an MFL problem. Maybe try locating the object manually to see if its really there.

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:41 am

hoffman2k wrote:
rabouille wrote:still no luck with sixteen macros...uninstall then reinstall max latest version, device still doesn't show tracks/learn...
You said you were getting the error "no such object - live.thisdevice". Maybe Cycling forgot to include it in the windows installer or something. Not sure why you don't have that object, but I know I can't fix it. Its an MFL problem. Maybe try locating the object manually to see if its really there.
Wasn't me, the message in max window I' ve got , is: "Live API is not initialized, use live.thisdevice to determine when initialization is complete"

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:09 am

rabouille wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:
Wasn't me, the message in max window I' ve got , is: "Live API is not initialized, use live.thisdevice to determine when initialization is complete"
Weird. Sixteen Macros shouldn't have that error and even if it does, it shouldn't be causing problems.
Any red errors? Those API ones are orange errors.
Check if an error occurs when you try to Learn a parameter.
One error that could explain your issue is the "cannot be triggered by notifications error", but I can't reproduce it here.