Able-Tones Music fest SIGN UP HERE :)....................

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
16 BIT

Able-Tones Music fest SIGN UP HERE :)....................

Post by 16 BIT » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:03 pm

Anyone is welcome to take part in what I am about to suggest regardless of abilities. If your a maestro great, if your a beginner then you can also get involved. If you cant play a note there is a job for you.

This is the initial idea and of course there will be issues I havent thought of Feel free to suggest alternatives or point out errors.

THIS IS NOT A COMPETITION.

For example Lets say there are seven teams.

Team Moonbase
Team sexy
Team Down Undah
etc
etc
etc

Each team has members consisting of various members who are each allocated a task. bass Player, Artranger, keys etc. this way everone can get involved.

Project leaders

I would recommend two of these. You are the people that liase with the producers on your allocated teams making sure they are hitting deadlines This job requires good organisation abilities. Each producer will keep you updated on the progress. This job may sound boring. It isnt. If you relish the idea of being the head honcho sign up :). You are the people that decide which members are allocated to teams and no one can argue with your decision. You may find that there is trouble within a team. It will be your job to fix it dimplomatically.

Producer Of Each Team

Your job is to keep your team together. Keep them motivated, make sure your team are hitting deadlines liase with project leaders. Discuss with team members the direction of the mix/song. It matters not what style the mix is. If you feel you could be a producer on a team sign up.

Team members Suggestions

1. Producer
2. Mixer (He mixes the track) only one person can mix the track
3. Bass Player (real or synth)
4. guitar (regardless of style sign up)
5 vocalist (we need you. Can you sing or shout)
6 keys/Synth
7 Special FX/Samplists
8 Drums. (do you play real drums?)
9 Drum Programmer
11 Mastering engineer (Ideal for someone that likes to tweak)

The above are only suggestions. Im merely pointing out that regardless of where your skills are you can sign up.

It would be cool iif we could get some organic instrumentalists involved. Im sure there are guitar players, bass players and vocalists around here. Sign Up!

The Songs

Im leaning toward original compositions. This opens the doors for more options. Im not against people offering already written tracks for remixing. This should be a point of discussion Im not sure about this one.

hosting

We would need someone with an FTP server for uploading and downloading. Each team will be given a password. You cannot download another teams work to have a sneaky peek at what they are up to. Ideally each team would have its own server. Im not clued up on this sort of thing but Im sure there are a number in here who are.

Deadline- Judging
For arguments sake lets say all tracks have to be completed by the 1st of May. No team is allowed to hear another teams efforts until that date. Each producer will deliver the masters to the project leaders who will post them on an FTP.

Critique on all merits is welcomed. Mixing, arranging, Musical Parts, originality. keep it friendly. If you disagree with someones comments disagree in a sensible and constructive manner. friednly jesting is cool.

Whats the point of it all

Friendship and networking. Much good can come from this.

No rules

If you are assigned as a guitar player and feel you can add some keys to enhance the track do so. It works the other way also.

Mixer
You can remove parts if you like. Its probably a good idea to talk with the producer about this first but the ball is in your court essentially. You will be provided with the arrangement from the arranger and if you feel the need to change the arrangement as a result of removing parts then do so but respect other peoples work. Dont sabotage the track for the sake of it

Arranger
You must supply an arranged track. It cant be a bunch of clips with a message saying press scene 1 then 6 etc.

Flamers

Pleeeeeese dont tell me to F off. If this is of no interest to you then move on.

This is an inital idea. Im sure there are many things I havent thought of so feel free to discuss

To start the Ball rolling I will go first.

16 Bit

1. Mixer
2. Guitar
3. Bass gtr
4. producer

The above are what I believe to be my skills in no particular order. It will be up to the project leaders to allocate me a job.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN (if any) :)

PS
Ableton headquarters

Please dont post asking them if they will release this as an Ableton Collective CD. It puts them in an akward position and after all they have much more pressing matters to be getting on with.
:wink:
Last edited by 16 BIT on Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ikeaboy

Bit Complex

Post by ikeaboy » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:32 pm

i haven't the time to read it all now :?:
Last edited by ikeaboy on Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:38 pm

yeah, way too complicated...

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:44 pm

ikeaboy wrote:Great idea but did you have to make it so complicated? admittedly i haven't the time to read it all now :?:
hey just saw this post, i think that it sounds like a recipe for something unique and of high quality.

if you have worked in any production environment, you would see that these are roles that people need to fulfill in order to make sure that everything is done in a timely fashion and so that peoples efforts do not go to waste.

if you haven't got the time to read this, do you think you will have the time to spend working on music with other people? ... anyways I just say that because it took me all of 30 seconds to read this (admittedly long) post, but it all seems logical.

cmon guys, let's show the other forums and the rest of the world what we can do instead of complaining it's too complicated.

16 BIT

Post by 16 BIT » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:51 pm

jesus is correct,

The method i posted is a tried and tested method that works. The whole point is everyone and anyone can join in regardless of skill. No one should be excluded. I agree its a looooong post. Maybe Im over expalining it. I will see if I can strip it down. A bit like a remix Huh!

Its simple really. what we need are

Project leaders
Producers
Musicians

Anyone that has a skill only need post it here.

easy peasy

8)

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:54 pm

16 BIT wrote:jesus is correct,

8)
yes, a little faith goes a long way ;-)

16 BIT

Post by 16 BIT » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:13 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
16 BIT wrote:jesus is correct,

8)
yes, a little faith goes a long way ;-)
:lol:

So jesus, I know your good with speeches,

but wheres your real skillz

:wink:

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:25 pm

okokok I will offer my services as a producer and artist.

And if you guys want some motivation, I will say that whoever joins my team can have the satisfaction of knowing that the final result will be mixed down and mastered in a world class production studio.

Bring it on!

mikemc

hey, SJ, count me in?

Post by mikemc » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:40 pm

I can do beat prog, male vox, elec guitar, some keys, I have sound libs and I would premix such that any clips from these cannot be 'isolated' for ripping-- :wink: if we can't do this legal-like; well then, that's just cheating. :)

What I don't have is a place to readily upload, super fancy equipment, or a whole ton of time.

So if that's alright with you some samples of my work available here, listen to the HiFi clips--if it's totally not your style and you want to pass, that's cool.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:51 pm

I may consider giving it a go. I am a reasonably ok guitarist in the Joe Satriani, Steve Vai style. Though, how does it all work in terms of hearing what people have contributed or how things progress along?

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:02 pm

mikemc and astral, good to hear you guys are into this.

i have ftp space i can dedicate and i think 16bit pointed out that there's no predetermination in style or sound etc... and anything could go, so no matter what you do, would be cool if you can participate.

astral, you know i was once an ambitious vai wannabe, i totally respect all the stuff from satch and vai and think it has a great place in modern music, technical brilliance and true musicmanship is easily forgotten in this world of samples and experimental noise (which of course still sound great too). Just have a listen to some infected mushroom, their new cd has some wicked guitar stuff ... very very satriani surfing with the alien tones.

I think we're off to a good start.

Any producers or people who are project managers in a corporate role keen to lend their skills to the cause?

16 BIT

Post by 16 BIT » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:27 pm

Good to see some action and players. but slightly dissapointing amount of interest.

Am I detecting shyness from the forum ?

Musical ability isnt crucial. Even if you only add one chord your job is done.

Come on guys just jot down where you think your strength lies.

beginners are welcome, seasoned pros. Its for everyone

Good to see a vocalist posting.

Post your skills

Whi fancies the mastering Job?

Who wants to be producer?

Who wants to be arranger?

Those tasks dont need musical ability. They just neeed a good ear.

polemans

Post by polemans » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:49 pm

sounds like a very good well thought out idea, i'm in. I can propose:-

1. drumming.
2. field recordings/non instrumental samples.
3. arranger
4. mixer

any or just 1 of the above in no particular order. cool
ableton, computer, old drums, newfangled drums, loadsa bits n bobs. - http://www.myspace.com/polemans

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:51 pm

thanks poleman, your contribution will be muchly appreciated.

basetwo

Post by basetwo » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:16 pm

I'm still new to Live, so I won't be very good with the mixing/mastering (although I do need practice). However, I've been a musician all my life. I'm not a master at any instrument, but can add several instruments to the mix:

Electric Violin (or acoustic, although it'll be easier for me to record Electric)
Acoustic Guitar (either rhythm or a little bit of fingerstyle -- again not fancy)
Electric Guitar (just the basics, although I could probably add a "slow" solo)
Tin Whistle (currently own 2, keys of C and D)
Chanter (the fingered part of the bagpipes)
Male VOX (I have a generic voice, may not be great solo, but can harmonize)

I do quite a bit of improv with my violin and have been practicing similar things on the electric guitar.

I also rent a server that I could use to hold a team's data.
The question is not whether or not you are influenced, but rather what it is that influences you.
-----
Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939/AMD 64
Seagate 80Gb/Samsung 120Gb SATA
1GB RAM/Delta 66/Firebox
32bit WinXP