DMG Audio Compassion (new compressor) is out!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
33tetragammon

DMG Audio Compassion (new compressor) is out!!!!

Post by 33tetragammon » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:28 pm

http://www.dmgaudio.com/index.php?_view ... .product.1

:D
goddamn this sounds good!!!!

now to figure out what the hell all those additional controls do.......
Last edited by 33tetragammon on Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MacGuffin

Re: DMG Audio Compassion (new compressor) is out!!!!

Post by MacGuffin » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:11 pm

w00t! it looks great!

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:15 pm

MacGuffin wrote:w00t! it looks great!
indeed!
let's see if it can kick the crap out of my beloved Sonalksis sv-315 compressor on drums. until now, no compressor i ever tried could give me THAT drumsound.

update :

oh....my.....it sounds fantastic on drums as well....it gives it that glue, punch, and the transient designer wasn't even switched on.....

Compassion killed my Sonalksis sv-315, just like Equality killed the sv-517......

ok, where's my creditcard?!?!?!
Last edited by 33tetragammon on Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:23 pm

it indeed looks like an improved version of the sonalksis

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:01 pm

Considering Dave used to work for Sonalksis, I think you have nothing to worry about. Demo'ing this now, sounds great.

IP

Post by IP » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:08 pm

and now a limiter

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:41 pm

233 $ 8O
for a software compressor.. 8O
it better be fookin good !

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:23 pm

3dot... wrote:233 $ 8O
for a software compressor.. 8O
it better be fookin good !
Give it a couple of months and it'll be "freewarez"....... :roll:

agent314

Post by agent314 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:03 pm

Does anyone have any examples of good-sounding compressors compared with bad-sounding compressors on the same material?

I have no idea what to look for when I'm listening. Other than pumping/ducking, what does a bad compressor sound like?

What makes this one so much better than Live's native comp?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:23 pm

it's probably more versatile ... (meaning it's got more envelope shapes / more detector types)
but people forget that a compressor is simply a dude with his hand on the fader..
there are tons of free/cheap ones ..which make even a very versatile (and expensive)software comp not so much appealing to me..
it does look like a nice tool though..shame about the price..

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun May 01, 2011 3:45 am

3dot... wrote:it's probably more versatile ... (meaning it's got more envelope shapes / more detector types)
but people forget that a compressor is simply a dude with his hand on the fader..
there are tons of free/cheap ones ..which make even a very versatile (and expensive)software comp not so much appealing to me..
when it would be so simple people wouldnt spend >3ooo on hardware compressors.. Even guys that work elsewise in the box often have at least one heavy sum compressor...

when it just would be for the leveling you dont need an compressor in a fully automated domain at all..
its actually the way a compressor shapes and also distorts the sound that makes it attractive..
Some hardware devices really melt the sound in the mix together.. especially on pop vocal productions you need this melting of the instrumental with the voice.. a quality i havent heard sofar on a plug in. but maybe there are some that can do it..but i doubt it..when it comes to the mojo factor the digital domain still shows its limits.
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Sun May 01, 2011 5:49 am

Obnoxiously large, but looks like it's worth it.

SWAN808

Post by SWAN808 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:43 pm

3phase wrote:
3dot... wrote:it's probably more versatile ... (meaning it's got more envelope shapes / more detector types)
when it would be so simple people wouldnt spend >3ooo on hardware compressors.. Even guys that work elsewise in the box often have at least one heavy sum compressor...

when it just would be for the leveling you dont need an compressor in a fully automated domain at all..
its actually the way a compressor shapes and also distorts the sound that makes it attractive..
Some hardware devices really melt the sound in the mix together.. especially on pop vocal productions you need this melting of the instrumental with the voice.. a quality i havent heard sofar on a plug in. but maybe there are some that can do it..but i doubt it..when it comes to the mojo factor the digital domain still shows its limits.
well put 8)

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Sun May 01, 2011 12:56 pm

SWAN808 wrote:
3phase wrote:

well put 8)
Yep. Agree 100%.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun May 01, 2011 4:06 pm

3phase wrote:..when it comes to the mojo factor the digital domain still shows its limits.
there's no mojo...
only signal resolution.. physical properties... plus a whole lot of randomness...

and I wasn't even talking about analog vs. digital...

only the price tag..

I've tested most comp vsts out there...
and some have different flavors..
(meaning : different envelope shapes/detector algorithms/internal 'coloring' eq/architecture etc.)
I'm happy with the range of compressors I already have.
and I've found that some free ones sound better than the expensive ones... on certain materials..
go figure..

anyways
this plug looks cute ... but not 250$ cute..
guess I'm not feeling the hype...

as for 'melding' tracks together.. that's a given .. for a compressor I mean