Session view instrument rack automation

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
kgmonarch

Session view instrument rack automation

Post by kgmonarch » Sat May 21, 2011 10:11 pm

Here's the situation:
  • I'm using Live 8.2.2 on Windows 7 x64
  • I'm using the Session View.
  • I have a MIDI track with a single Instrument Rack that contains a single VSTi.
  • I've wired up one of the Macro 1 knobs to one of the VSTi's parameters.
  • If I turn the knob, the VSTi parameter alters accordingly.
  • I assigned one of my MIDI faders to the knob, and it seems to work.
  • However, if I record a clip, mash keys and adjust my midi fader, the instrument rack's automation is not stored in the clip.
  • Also, if I record a clip, and manually adjust the knob with the mouse, the instrument rack's automation is not stored in the clip.
  • I opened up the clip and modified the envelope for that macro knob. It has no effect when the clip is played back.
  • Recording of the knob works if I use the Global Recording button, but the automation is stored within the Arrangement.
Now what?

EDIT: Read a little bit more, learnt that automation in session view is a big bone of contention. Oh well. Disregard.

outershpongolia

Re: Session view instrument rack automation

Post by outershpongolia » Sun May 22, 2011 4:41 am

If your synth can assign mod wheel or pitch bend to parameters you can use this for quick session view automation recording.

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Tue May 24, 2011 4:35 am

outershpongolia wrote:If your synth can assign mod wheel or pitch bend to parameters you can use this for quick session view automation recording.
I thought automation couldn't be recorded into clips, Session view or otherwise? I would love to be mistaken.

thatMcFlyGuy

Post by thatMcFlyGuy » Tue May 24, 2011 3:49 pm

You can automate hard midi CC's in session clips, but no ableton devices or macro controls.

So, if you use a plug-in, let's just say, and you use the plugin's midi-map to assign a parameter, you can then record the automation in session clips.

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Wed May 25, 2011 12:44 am

That makes sense - yes, any MIDI CCs that make it into the track (and aren't intercepted by MIDI mapping or something) are definitely recordable. Thanks for the clarification!

kgmonarch

Post by kgmonarch » Wed May 25, 2011 2:06 am

Yes, in the end I have an automation track set to CC's from one port and mirror them out to another.
I also have a loopback cable patched from the output to another input. My first input is set to receive only Track In while the other is used to receive Remote data.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed May 25, 2011 5:58 am

kgmonarch wrote:Yes, in the end I have an automation track set to CC's from one port and mirror them out to another.
I also have a loopback cable patched from the output to another input. My first input is set to receive only Track In while the other is used to receive Remote data.
ya theres some IAC driver hacks and such, but I usually can get away with using mod wheel and pitch bend - but obviously if you want to use an actual pitch bend you can't really assign this or else they'll both happen at once.. now that I think of it, that could be pretty damn cool