Partitions on HardDrive

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
davidhughes

Partitions on HardDrive

Post by davidhughes » Mon May 23, 2011 7:53 pm

Hi there

Im wondering what the best set up would be to optimise performance with Live

Would it benefit to set up some smaller partitions on my 1TB internal drive ... 1 partition (perhaps 20gig) for VST's , and another partition (perhaps another 20gig or so) for compositions

Im thinking that maybe on smaller drives there will be less files to fly through when retrieving files and thus helping buffering etc?

Akshara

Re: Partitions on HardDrive

Post by Akshara » Mon May 23, 2011 8:33 pm

Depending on the physical drive itself, the seek time of the drive head moving between partitions could offset the positives created by partitioning; and could place added stress on the drive, increasing its chance of failure, or shortening its lfespan.

Now I could see patitioning a 20 to 100 GB area at the beginning of a 1 TB drive for the recording project(s) that you are currently working on, then the remaining area as a second partition for the OS and everything else. Anything more than that, you have to ask if the benefit outweighs the possible negative impact.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon May 23, 2011 8:58 pm

Yeah, the first partition on a drive will be on the outer portion of the drive, and thus have more data throughput per revolution. I've got a 20GB partition as my first one, just for audio projects I'm working on at the moment or for live sets. The rest of the drive is a 2nd partition for OSX and everything else.

invol

Post by invol » Thu May 26, 2011 5:18 am

Tarekith wrote:Yeah, the first partition on a drive will be on the outer portion of the drive, and thus have more data throughput per revolution. I've got a 20GB partition as my first one, just for audio projects I'm working on at the moment or for live sets. The rest of the drive is a 2nd partition for OSX and everything else.

DItto. That's the way I do it too...