stutter effect

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
dm_hawk

stutter effect

Post by dm_hawk » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:13 pm

Ok, I hate trying to verbally describe a production technique/sonic effect, but here we go...

What is the best way to get a sample/sound/loop to "stutter," then play all the way through? This effect is most often used in percussion tracks in idm and d&b and heavily used in the music of Apparat, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and Monolake. I can reproduce the effect decently using the delay knobs on my Korg ER-1, but the delay is global (bastards!) or by manually chopping up and repeating the beginning of a sample in Live's arrangement view (i.e. pasting the same .01 second slice over and over again, followed by the full sample), but this is too tedious to make sense

There must be a quick, easy way to do this in real time: a plug-in, app, Live technique, hardware unit, etc.

Better still, it would be cool to have pitch and loop length control along with the stutter. This all would be possible - if a little complicated - in Live if the Clip View's transposition knob, loop length, and LOOP button were mappable, and if there was a way (is there?) to make the sample continue playing after the LOOP button is turned off.

Thanks,
D
..... . . . . . . . . .

illsub1

Post by illsub1 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:44 pm

Here's a really nice trick I found. Use the following effects chain on a loop- Supatrigga - Gate - Buffer Override. The effects other than the Gate are available at www.smartelectronix.com. This is for instant random stutter madness (experiment with the parameters) or for just one sound just use the buffer override. I think you'll be pleased with the results!!!
:)

Harris.Andrew

Post by Harris.Andrew » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:36 am

Just an idea, maybe you could load the sample into simpler; set it to loop; set the start and end to the fraction of the sample you want to loop; trigger the sound w/ a midi clip; while playing, open up the sample by moving the end point to the end of the sample.

Dunno, that's what I would try.

Noematus

Warp markers and transients are all you need, baby.

Post by Noematus » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:38 am

Try this warp markers: fix one to the position of an attack in say a drum loop by double clicking. Do the same for the two following warp markers. Then take the warp marker that immediately follows the next drum hit and move it as far as you can toward the first warp marker that you double clicked. Set your warp mode to beats to, 1/16, and voila! This is by far the simplest way to stutter edit.

Noematus

Post by Noematus » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:41 am

by the way, you forgot us in your list of people who do stutter editing! :wink:
check it out: www.noematus.com

dm_hawk

Post by dm_hawk » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:05 am

Thanks for the advice and the link. I like your work, Noematus - so clean, spacious...
..... . . . . . . . . .

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:16 pm

i use a freebie plugin called phutboy to do this. It even syncs to host, something bufferOverride doesn't do with live, unfortunately.

feyshay

stutter

Post by feyshay » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:09 pm

Couldn't you split part of the clip (you're millisecond portion) and then use follow actions (like on page 99 of the manual?)
That would be less work than a recurrent cut and paste, no?
Did I misunderstand the question?

dm_hawk

Post by dm_hawk » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:47 pm

Incredible - Buffer Override and Supatrigga do the trick, and the other plugs from bram and dfx are SICK!

Today has been a good day. I cancelled all of my appointments and made things stutter.

Thanks,
D
..... . . . . . . . . .

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:38 pm

have you tried unlinking the volume clip envelope?

experimedia

Post by experimedia » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:52 am

Throw this freeware programmable syncable gate plugin into the chain as well.
mgTriggerGate

I just wish they would update it soon and make that swing knob thats been teasing me functional.

Noematus

Post by Noematus » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:04 pm

cool! It's a bastard that I can't just bookmark this board. those are great suggestions! Another thing you may want to toy around with is Dopplemangler. *sigh* well I've been assigned supper duty tonight - and with the meals my wife has been making, I'd better not fuck up. Some serious culinary precedents have been set - on away from the computer...

gsbe

Post by gsbe » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:41 pm

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:54 am

i just wanted to point out that dfx on smex have a midi gate plugin that works well in live 4 and is cross-platform - it is easy to miss since it is on their 'extras' page:
http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/extras/index.html

also, i had listed some "stutter" tricks in this thread that might be useful:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15270
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

Noematus

Post by Noematus » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:59 am

I'm just getting:
http://www.ableton.com/index.php?main=forum
Maybe it's a firefox thing.