Is Ableton really a 'pro audio application' ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
friend_kami

Re: Is Ableton really a 'pro audio application' ?

Post by friend_kami » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:34 pm

ikeaboy wrote:
friend_kami wrote: now try working at 700bpm with several timesignatures, lots of tempo automation and millisecond-editing, and automation, and see where it takes you.
long story short: live's automation is imprecise, and doesn't offer enough control.
neither does the sample editing.
it's a sketchpad. it might be awesome for making live racks and designing sounds but when you really need to do precise editing it sucks.
if you disagree then you clearly need to use it more.
Ah come on, 700 bpm with several timesignatures and lots of tempo automation then it messes up for you so you brand Live a sketch pad! You're music sounds interesting but your expectations and sweeping statements are ridiculous
depends on what kind of music you do, no?
i don't always work at 700bpm, but when i do i desire even more precise contorl, since the automation stepping really shows at that tempo.

http://soundcloud.com/gbsr/milehighscie ... ightyear-1 this is the piece i had to rewrite, at 50 seconds about. retriggering samples with tempo automation.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:47 pm

yeah..at 7 bpm its a bitch too !

ilya.soloviev

Post by ilya.soloviev » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Music is the only job for me, and i use only Ableton Live

is this means im a pro?

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:20 pm

3dot... wrote:yeah..at 7 bpm its a bitch too !
cool story bro.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:21 pm

700 bpm. 8O wow i thought we meant pro as in professional musician not pro as in professional cardiac response unit. making rhythms for defibrillators to bring heart attack victims back from the dead is a noble goal, but personally i work within roughly 70 - 120 bpms so i guess your point is lost on me.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:28 pm

H20nly wrote:700 bpm. 8O wow i thought we meant pro as in professional musician not pro as in professional cardiac response unit. making rhythms for defibrillators to bring heart attack victims back from the dead is a noble goal, but personally i work within roughly 70 - 120 bpms so i guess your point is lost on me.
try listening to xanopticon, and count the beats. :p

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:33 pm

ok. i tried this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4om56W1FwE

maybe heart attacks was the wrong medical condition.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:10 pm

friend_kami wrote:
ikeaboy wrote:
friend_kami wrote: now try working at 700bpm with several timesignatures, lots of tempo automation and millisecond-editing, and automation, and see where it takes you.
long story short: live's automation is imprecise, and doesn't offer enough control.
neither does the sample editing.
it's a sketchpad. it might be awesome for making live racks and designing sounds but when you really need to do precise editing it sucks.
if you disagree then you clearly need to use it more.
Ah come on, 700 bpm with several timesignatures and lots of tempo automation then it messes up for you so you brand Live a sketch pad! You're music sounds interesting but your expectations and sweeping statements are ridiculous
depends on what kind of music you do, no?
i don't always work at 700bpm, but when i do i desire even more precise contorl, since the automation stepping really shows at that tempo.

http://soundcloud.com/gbsr/milehighscie ... ightyear-1 this is the piece i had to rewrite, at 50 seconds about. retriggering samples with tempo automation.
Sorry was off having dinner. Nice glassy and crunchy bubble style sounds. The build towards the end is cool. Very impressive, I'd say it's like assembling a pocket watch building a track like that. I can see how automation compensation is a big issue. At the same time I couldn't imagine using anything but Live producing in that territory.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

ikeaboy wrote:Sorry was off having dinner. Nice glassy and crunchy bubble style sounds. The build towards the end is cool. Very impressive, I'd say it's like assembling a pocket watch building a track like that. I can see how automation compensation is a big issue. At the same time I couldn't imagine using anything but Live producing in that territory.
thank you, and yes i know. this is exactly why it's such a big deal. live is the perfect daw for me in theory, but everyday i require more control and live continously delivers disappointment after dissappointment in that regard. at the same time, i have tried to switch several times but nothing is as fast to work with as live. for all care, if they only fixed that and dropped their bpm limitation from 20 to 1, i couldn't care less about other features.

the rest is just candy, really. although candy i really really really want, still candy nonetheless ;)

tylenol

Post by tylenol » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:32 pm

700bpm = ~12Hz, i.e. 1 beat every ~86ms. While I'm sure you can do some cool stuff if you have a host that can do this (even at all), I have to admit I find it a little hard to sympathize with a complaint that some program doesn't do this kind of tempo well...I mean, this is barely out of the audible range for most people. I'd sort of rather ableton fixed other things than make this kind of corner case work...

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:44 pm

crumhorn wrote:I was always taught that it's a bad worker who blames their tools.

Pros rely on sharp tools to produces fine work but those tools also give you a lot more power to mess up if you don't know what you are doing.

Live gives you all the tools you need to totally fuck up your sound.
if i could be bothered to write something myself (being as i am rather tired and unable to be arsed to at the moment)
the words would probably resemble the ones in the quote above.

on reflection, i could have made an original and no less penetratingly precise and correct point in the time it took to write this.

pffft. at least it's better than typing 'this'. or not. in fact i'll just stop now. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:52 pm

My Fender Jazz Bass doesn't work so well at 700bpm either.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:57 pm

my live sets go to 11..!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:00 pm

"clearly you need to use it more"

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:42 pm

this argument is dumb. every DAW, hardware, software, etc. has things that it can do better than the others and things that it can't do. to ask if it is a pro audio app is a loaded question- the question you should be asking is "can it do what i need it to do?"

if live can't do 700 bpm at 17/4 time and that's what you need it to do, then find something that does it better. or, better yet, make it yourself. if you feel the live mixing engine isn't up to snuff, use something else. even before there were computers, people had to come up with creative ways to work around the limitations of the technology.

technology in its most basic definition is building or using tools. that's what live is- a tool. just like a compressor, a bass guitar, an echo chamber- these are all tools in which we use to reach an ends- music.

you guys whine too much.
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33