Any chance of the Lion fullscreen arrow thing?

Piplodocus

Any chance of the Lion fullscreen arrow thing?

Post by Piplodocus » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:41 pm

Any chance of the Lion fullscreen naive behaviour and double arrow thing on the top bar?

Just wondering, as it'd be simpler than using Fn-F11, and we could then access the pop-down file menu to recall recent projects etc, something that can't be done in normal Ableton fullscreen. Dunno if this is a whole can of worms or a relatively simple mod using apple APIs though...

hoffman2k

Re: Any chance of the Lion fullscreen arrow thing?

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:33 am

Piplodocus wrote:Any chance of the Lion fullscreen naive behaviour and double arrow thing on the top bar?

Just wondering, as it'd be simpler than using Fn-F11, and we could then access the pop-down file menu to recall recent projects etc, something that can't be done in normal Ableton fullscreen. Dunno if this is a whole can of worms or a relatively simple mod using apple APIs though...
The problem is windows. If it can't be done in the windows version, it won't be done with the Mac version.
Spotlight already indexed my entire drive, yet I still have to wait around in Live for the worlds slowest search algorithm.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:44 pm

I hoped it might be easier than having to write code into the file browser like spotlight might. Although it would stop me thinking "oh no, there goes my next hour of music production" every time I lose a sample, and have to go find it with spotlight in the end anyway!

I hoped it might be more along the lines of the window controls in mac OS and MS Windows work differently but they're controlled by the OS. The menu bar disappears when you click the fullscreen arrow, but reappears when you go to the top. I assumed that was handled by Lion as long as you give it some basic info to chew on.

More like writing clever HTML: if the right bit of simple code is there then it works in clever browsers, but misses that function in older ones. (not the best example I know if you figure the trouble people go to to support IE6 still!!!)

So is why I asked, is it:

a) officially difficult and never gonna happen
b) officially easy/medium so will be done in time, but you can't rush these things!
c) officially easy but Ableton don't want to enable it in case people using it live have reappearing menus they don't want whilst gesticulating wildly on their trackpad! (although I'm more of the school of thought that accessing the "recent items" menu live without un-fullscreening would be a greater advantage)

Obviously c) can be overcome if they implement Lion fullscreen but leave the Ableton fullscreen function intact...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:44 pm

I (unofficially) hope its option B. But I wonder if it would conflict with earlier versions of OSX if they optimize it for Lion. Doesn't seem to be an issue for other software. We'll see what happens...