Omnisphere, Live and Dropbox = corruption?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Sly One

Omnisphere, Live and Dropbox = corruption?

Post by Sly One » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:44 am

Just scoping out if anyone else has encountered this issue. I'm not certain it's this combination yet, and have no wish to encounter the issue again so have not replicated it a final time to confirm.

I always increment a number at the end of my .als file names every few minutes so that I have a version history and can recover from just about any point in time.

When running a large Live project with an instance of Omnisphere, with the Live project consolidated and saved to my Dropbox, I have encountered the issue three times now where at some point Live will crash, and when I open it again, the instance of Omnisphere, which will have been playing absolutely normally at the point of the crash, will be completely "blanked". That is to say, all its Live-automated parameters will have blank names on the Live plugin slot, all the patches will have been initialized, and none of them will make any sound even if a new preset is loaded.

The worst bit is that when this occurs, if I go back to the previous numbered save, the *same issue is there*. Even the save before that and the save before that. The last time this happened I found that I had about 2 hours' programming work lost and had to go back 5 saves to find a working instance of Omnisphere.

Initially I thought this might have been Omnisphere going ape because of lack of memory, so at the suggestion of Spectrasonics, enabled the /3GB switch in windows XP. Since then I've had no memory issues whatsoever (can't believe I never did that before) but the corruption issue has recurred - once.

I noticed that recently, Dropbox had been flashing up alerts about Ableton temp files getting changed whenever I was working on projects in Live. On the off-chance, I moved the project out of Dropbox in case Live and Dropbox were competing for file locks or something, and the issue has not recurred since then - for long enough that I'm starting to think it may have indeed been the cause.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

8O

Re: Omnisphere, Live and Dropbox = corruption?

Post by 8O » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Hi, I've had some OSCulator files corrupted by dropbox in the past. I got round it by zipping the file before putting it on dropbox.