BCF2000 Vs TouchAble

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dai

BCF2000 Vs TouchAble

Post by Dai » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:34 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for a control surface to mix with (in the mixing engineer sense, not the DJing sense)

I am looking at the BFC2000, and the slightly more expensive option of an iPad + TouchAble / Touch OSC

Despite my research on both systems, I can't quite figure out how easy it is in a real life situation to control plugins; such EQs (particularly 3rd party ones) that are obviously essential to mixing.

TouchAble looks a lot quicker to use and obviously has the cool factor 8)
I am just slightly worried about the touch screen interface, for example a fader jumping 10dB if I touch it in the wrong place by accident.

Has any one done any 'serious' mixing using a TouchAble / Touch OSC?

On a side note, how easy is the BCF2000 easy to use with plugins and EQs?
Do people find it easier adjusting plugins on the computer screen and just using the BCF2000 for volume, sends and pans - or are people using it to adjust their EQs as well? Is it not fiddly having to scroll through all the plugin parameters?

Thanks

Dai

Pasha

Re: BCF2000 Vs TouchAble

Post by Pasha » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:38 pm

Dai wrote:Hi,

I'm looking for a control surface to mix with (in the mixing engineer sense, not the DJing sense)

I am looking at the BFC2000, and the slightly more expensive option of an iPad + TouchAble / Touch OSC

Despite my research on both systems, I can't quite figure out how easy it is in a real life situation to control plugins; such EQs (particularly 3rd party ones) that are obviously essential to mixing.

TouchAble looks a lot quicker to use and obviously has the cool factor 8)
I am just slightly worried about the touch screen interface, for example a fader jumping 10dB if I touch it in the wrong place by accident.

Has any one done any 'serious' mixing using a TouchAble / Touch OSC?

On a side note, how easy is the BCF2000 easy to use with plugins and EQs?
Do people find it easier adjusting plugins on the computer screen and just using the BCF2000 for volume, sends and pans - or are people using it to adjust their EQs as well? Is it not fiddly having to scroll through all the plugin parameters?

Thanks

Dai
As an owner of the BCF2000 I can only write about that.
Initially I have programmed it to be used as Mackie emulation but the absence of feedback render it not very fair to be used. I now use it in Native Mackie Mode emulation (Behringer added Led feedback in the Firmware) and as a pure mixer (not plug in controller) it works fine and I'm very happy. Used as plugin controller is a pain. I use an LPD8 for that.

Hope this helps,
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:03 pm

If your wish is to handle a maximum of Ableton live features, you should consider TouchAble as the way to go.
About mixing : there is no jump with faders, touchAble offers a relative mode for both device and mixer. Also, upcoming update will offer new special "long faders" mode :)

Dai

Post by Dai » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:57 pm

Thanks for replies so far.

Can I use an iPad app like TouchAble to easily control 3rd party VSTs like PSP masterQ and Vintage warmer (for example)

hubiedubie

Post by hubiedubie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:37 pm

Dai wrote:Thanks for replies so far.

Can I use an iPad app like TouchAble to easily control 3rd party VSTs like PSP masterQ and Vintage warmer (for example)
Yes. can't remember the details but yes its possible.