How to approach an audio effect problem?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
MarkvW

How to approach an audio effect problem?

Post by MarkvW » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:17 am

I'd like to create a real time effect that takes each word spoken, and for that word does nothing for the first part of the word, but applies an array of effects to the later part of the word. I'd like to be able to vary the point in the word when the effects start to kick in.

Is such an effect doable in Ableton?

Any ideas on how to approach it?

BassTooth

Re: How to approach an audio effect problem?

Post by BassTooth » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:28 am

i suggest you read chapters 18 through 19 in the Live user manual concerning automation and clip envelopes.

this way you can draw in with envelopes in what part of the sample, where the words you want to effect kick in, and send to your effects from there.

MarkvW

Post by MarkvW » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:41 am

BassTooth wrote:i suggest you read chapters 18 through 19 in the Live user manual concerning automation and clip envelopes.

this way you can draw in with envelopes in what part of the sample, where the words you want to effect kick in, and send to your effects from there.
I wonder if there's a way to do something like that in real time. In other words, as I speak. I'm wondering if there's a way to do something like this without a sample. In other words, sort out (by frequency or db) when a word starts or ends and then apply an effect combination a variable amount of time after that word starts.

Boss Level Music

Post by Boss Level Music » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:06 am

I would suggest trying a gate before your effects sidechained to your vocal track. Might be able to get something close with that.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:06 pm

I'm thinking doing sidechain compression on the fx might work out. At the end of your fx chain, put in a compressor and use the vocal as the sidechain. Try the threshold level at -18 and maybe 8-16 as the ratio. The idea is that when your voice is going, the fx are brought down and when the vocal is gone the fx level comes back to normal.
ImageImage

MarkvW

Post by MarkvW » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:21 pm

Boss Level Music wrote:I would suggest trying a gate before your effects sidechained to your vocal track. Might be able to get something close with that.
From what I've been able to try, the gate effect works best. I gate the "normal" chain to pass only the lower db and the "effects" chain to pass only the higher db. Takes some fiddling to make the two work together. Messing with the mic gain or my vocal loudness triggers the effects. Pretty cool!

Until I write a gated timer in Reaktor (or find one), that will have to suffice! Thanks!

Boss Level Music

Post by Boss Level Music » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 pm

Happy to help, even if it's only a temporary solution.