Riding the faders

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Carpet Cleaner

Riding the faders

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:37 am

Until now, I ve always set the volume of each track for a project, one by one, sometimes into groups (stems) to make the process easier.
I can then correct it later by using small changes in the clip fader, or drawing some volume automation.

But now, I actually want to ride the faders while recording, so I can increase a bit more here and here, or reduce as well, and make the whole mix more alive. However, I feel like it is simply going to mess up my mix and the general volume of every channels.

Isn't there a solution or a feature, maybe on other daws that offer an option like that? I thing I ve read about it but I'm not sure.

infiniteB

Re: Riding the faders

Post by infiniteB » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:38 am

there's a waves plugin, isn't exactly riding the faders, but sort of is-- has minimum and max values that compress/expand, and also other parameters, all the while being able to move the slider itself..
PRODUCER/LYRICIST

(SNEAK PREVIEW OF MY ALBUM)
SOUNDCLOUD
http://soundcloud.com/infinitebeyond/
MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/infiniteb
TWITTER:
http://twitter.com/InfiniteBeyond

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:32 am

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:Until now, I ve always set the volume of each track for a project, one by one, sometimes into groups (stems) to make the process easier.
I can then correct it later by using small changes in the clip fader, or drawing some volume automation.

But now, I actually want to ride the faders while recording, so I can increase a bit more here and here, or reduce as well, and make the whole mix more alive. However, I feel like it is simply going to mess up my mix and the general volume of every channels.

Isn't there a solution or a feature, maybe on other daws that offer an option like that? I thing I ve read about it but I'm not sure.
I would not touch a fader while recording. Unless you must because otherwise the recorded signal is either too hot or way too low. You can adjust afterwards easily, but too readjust your fader-rides will be difficult.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:28 am

Ok I checked. On pro tools it's called touch automation. If you touch a fader that it records its movement. So you can adjust a bit. Is there something like that in ableton ?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:34 am

ctrl-z../ctrl-shift-s are your friends..
or 'loop record' automation ..

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:56 am

3dot... wrote:ctrl-z../ctrl-shift-s are your friends..
or 'loop record' automation ..
Lol undo and save as are my friend to do volume automation ! I hope I can feel the irony in your advice :-)

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:57 am

well... I DO record automation like I record instruments ...make takes..until I get it right ...
no irony ..
:wink:

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:24 pm

Unless it is to achieve some special effect, I can't see how riding the faders while tracking could produce good results. At that point in the game the fader is acting more like a trim (not really because the A/D process has already taken place) and I thought the idea was to get the best signal without clipping. How does moving the fader improve your chances? If the artist(s) practices the part, knows the part and is competent with their instrument, whatever it is, I would think there would be no opportunity to ride that fader while tracking.

And with that same breath I'd also like you to try it and let us here the results. I'm always up for learning new things.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:41 pm

oh... I missed that...
it's level riding during recording ??!!!
that's so... ehm....pre-90's
I meant automating while mixing..

savyurrecords

Post by savyurrecords » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:03 pm

Depending on the vocalist I will ride the gain on the mic pre during recording. I have to be familiar with the song and the vocalist has to have very poor mic technique.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:26 pm

savyurrecords wrote:Depending on the vocalist I will ride the gain on the mic pre during recording. I have to be familiar with the song and the vocalist has to have very poor mic technique.
bet you do .. (after he's already clipped...)
:wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhY254rZwM8

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:15 pm

Ho i m so sorry i meant when I m recording automations... When the arrangement is done, in arrangement view.
If want to do a volume automation and later change the overall volume of the track, I'm screwed. I know I can use utility plug but it more like a workaround than a clean solution...

Mage2k

Post by Mage2k » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:56 pm

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:I know I can use utility plug but it more like a workaround than a clean solution...
Why is that? Different people have different workflows and I've heard of quite a few people doing all of their volume automation during arrangement with utility plugins and not touching the track volume faders until it's time for the final mix down.

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:17 am

Ableton records all of your fader moves while in record mode. Hook up a BCF or 2 or 3 or whatever... and go to work.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.