PROMETHEUS

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
arachnaut

Re: PROMETHEUS

Post by arachnaut » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:19 pm

I just got my pre-order of this from Amazon.

I just looked over the art but haven't read anything yet. It covers a lot of concept art and most of this stuff will probably be on the DVD as specials.

It looks pretty good and has a bunch of alternate take scenes which I guess were later rejected. In particular there is a slightly different opening scene with two Engineers - the acolyte and an elder dark wizened figure that looks a bit like an Engineer in Weyland's makeup or possibly the original guy who appeared as the giant head figure.

-> link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/178116 ... 01_s00_i00

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:16 am

So, I'm wondering how things would've turned out in the temple-urn room if say Holloway had ripped a massive hot bean-curd slider while approaching the alter. How would those methyl-mercaptan molecules from that Class-5F full roaming vapor have affected the atmosphere. I'm imagining that given a molecular bonding of the fumes with the dark goo, things would've disintegrated rapidly into a very ugly and smelly situation. Thoughts? :o

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:23 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:
pulsoc wrote:Even though I hate 3d as a gimmick.
I think you're going to dig it. For the first time it feels as though the 3D is fully integrated and not overpowering. In fact, I can't imaging this movie without it now....

:x
I don't know. As somebody still looking for that showcase 3D movie that isn't a documentary I found the 3D in Prometheus almost completely unnoticeable which is better than over the top blatant gimmick shots, but for Prometheus I found the low key nature of it being to the point that it was completely unnecessary. Can't think of one scene where I went "that was some cool 3D!". But I do remember some shots that I thought should be brilliant in 3D, but weren't.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:32 am

beats me wrote: I don't know. As somebody still looking for that showcase 3D movie that isn't a documentary I found the 3D in Prometheus almost completely unnoticeable which is better than over the top blatant gimmick shots, but for Prometheus I found the low key nature of it being to the point that it was completely unnecessary. Can't think of one scene where I went "that was some cool 3D!". But I do remember some shots that I thought should be brilliant in 3D, but weren't.

Hmm. Strongly disagree there, broham. The last thing I'm looking for is a SHOWCASE 3D movie. Eew. The very concept makes me want to vomit.

Likes I've said before, I usually hate 3D but really found it to be a vital yet subtle addition here. It didn't jump out at you (pun intended), and that's the key. It's always there, though, and felt completely NATURAL. To me with this film it's not unlike the first addition of color - at some point you've got to stop being amazed it's a COLOR film and get to the point that it's so natural that you can't imagine it any other way. That's what Prometheus did with 3D.

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:53 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:
beats me wrote: I don't know. As somebody still looking for that showcase 3D movie that isn't a documentary I found the 3D in Prometheus almost completely unnoticeable which is better than over the top blatant gimmick shots, but for Prometheus I found the low key nature of it being to the point that it was completely unnecessary. Can't think of one scene where I went "that was some cool 3D!". But I do remember some shots that I thought should be brilliant in 3D, but weren't.

Hmm. Strongly disagree there, broham. The last thing I'm looking for is a SHOWCASE 3D movie. Eew. The very concept makes me want to vomit.

Likes I've said before, I usually hate 3D but really found it to be a vital yet subtle addition here. It didn't jump out at you (pun intended), and that's the key. It's always there, though, and felt completely NATURAL. To me with this film it's not unlike the first addition of color - at some point you've got to stop being amazed it's a COLOR film and get to the point that it's so natural that you can't imagine it any other way. That's what Prometheus did with 3D.

I respectfully disa :x

If anything I see it as proof of a heavy 3D lobby in Hollywood that every movie short of a chick flick should have a 3D version. This of course equates to higher movie ticket prices, and more purchases of 3D TVs, 3D Blu-ray players, and 3D Blu-rays. It's the crutch for shit story telling (but not in this case).

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:49 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:

Yeah it was pretty good with it.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:49 am

I hate the cynicism of 3D (it's obviously primarily an anti-piracy and higher ticket prices policy) but I can't help but think that there is a massive section of the population who's eyes just don't get it. You know, like those Magic Eye fuzzy picture things that people get very annoyed with because they can't see jack shit. Nothing worse for them than someone going 'oooooh, I can see a butterfly in that!'. Irritates the tits off them.

All I know is that the bit with the 3D holographic star map with David holding the Earth worked for me.

What was very disappointing though was the fact that these already legendary sets we've heard so much about didn't seem to have the depth of field that I was hoping the 3D would enhance. They looked a little 'pokey' to me - perhaps in 2D, with child actors in suits, there could have been more of an illusion of scale.
Last edited by beatmunga on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:54 pm

beatmunga wrote: What was very disappointing though was the fact that these already legendary sets we've heard so much about didn't seem to have the depth of field that I was hoping the 3D would enhance. The looked a little 'pokey' to me - perhaps in 2D, with child actors in suits, there could have been more of an illusion of scale.

Yeah, very good point. I'll have to see it again because I'm not entirely sure what happened here. I think part of it has to do with the camera angles they went with, and part of it is that the 'bridge' shown in Prometheus was far better lit with very little shadow areas. Watching this scene again:

https://vimeo.com/13974940

At the 4:30ish mark there's a brilliant camera pullback that really adds to the sense of massiveness, but everything around is still dark to help.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:43 am

For those who feel Premetheus was 3D finally done right, perhaps I could interest you in some house music that features a kick drum for only 14 seconds of an 8 minute track because anything beyond that would be gratuitous abuse of a production cliche. :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:57 am

beats me wrote:For those who feel Premetheus was 3D finally done right, perhaps I could interest you in some house music that features a kick drum for only 14 seconds of an 8 minute track because anything beyond that would be gratuitous abuse of a production cliche. :x

Sounds good, actually. Refreshing, in fact. I mean, at some point the indulgence must end and the Art begin. Right?

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:11 am

LoopStationZebra wrote: Watching this scene again:

At the 4:30ish mark there's a brilliant camera pullback that really adds to the sense of massiveness, but everything around is still dark to help.

That's still the single most artistically impressive scene in the entire series. Never less than awe inspiring.
beats me wrote:For those who feel Premetheus was 3D finally done right, perhaps I could interest you in some house music that features a kick drum for only 14 seconds of an 8 minute track because anything beyond that would be gratuitous abuse of a production cliche. :x
I like my films a bit intelligent, but the cerebral has no place in good honest dance music in my opinion. Otherwise I'd listen to Bored of Canada, Autechre, Squarepusher and other pretentious wank masquerading under that most patronising of labels: "Intelligent Dance Music". Which no fucker ever dances to and which is never nearly as clever as it thinks it is. Double fail.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:34 pm

beatmunga wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote: Watching this scene again:

That's still the single most artistically impressive scene in the entire series. Never less than awe inspiring.
I like my films a bit intelligent, but the cerebral has no place in good honest dance music in my opinion. Otherwise I'd listen to Bored of Canada, Autechre, Squarepusher and other pretentious wank masquerading under that most patronising of labels: "Intelligent Dance Music". Which no fucker ever dances to and which is never nearly as clever as it thinks it is. Double fail.
Lol I agree with that sentiment.
Because Whatever.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:51 pm

I read a few reviews here and learned I would go to see it as a 6 on the scale. I was disappointed anyway. Writing and directing wasn't very good at all. I let a few annoyances go by until the scene when "the couple"(?) had a soap-opera scene conversation about shit that had no business helping the story. Convoluted for no reason. Ridley is the man, but he has the ability to make a stinker. One has to wonder why on this one. Hopefully he pulls up his boot-straps for the new Bladerunner.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:03 pm

knotkranky wrote: "the couple"(?) had a soap-opera scene conversation about shit that had no business helping the story.

Well.....er.....it did lead to some hanky-panky which DID serve part of the plot.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:29 pm

agreed, the boring sex scene and relationship stuff was essential to the plot.
The major holes in Prometheus are all in the obvious stupidity of the characters:

The geologists getting lost in the ship when they had radio access to a 3D model of the route.

The geologist deciding to make friendly with a fucking alien snake????

Hero dude taking off his helmet in the ship when any average witted moron 12 year old would know better in an environment with alien microbes floating around possibly.

In fact the consistent lack of any sort of quarantine procedure pretty much ruined my suspension of disbelief.

David is immediately forgiven by Noomi for attempting to use her as a host for the alien....

I could go on, but the plot holes as far as what real actual human beings would do in the situation presented were beyond stupid and I really wonder exactly how this shit gets by the 100+ people involved in the making of a movie like this? I enjoyed it and will watch it again, but the main reasons I was excited to see Scott return to sci fi are absolutely missing from this movie. Blade Runner and Alien both have an attention to detail in the character building and plot that are entirely missing here. Tiny point, but huge to me, in Blade Runner Deckard gets beaten up very badly, and later back in his apartment while drinking whisky you can see blood flow back into the glass. That kind of subtlety is missing in this movie.