double question for an ableton noob

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
SmoothSubliminal

double question for an ableton noob

Post by SmoothSubliminal » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:05 pm

I would appreciate anyones help in answering the following 2 questions:

1. Is there a way to gradually change tempo in a clip (either by using master tempo or the clips own relative tempo)? In my quick web search there does not appear to be a way outside of using dummy clips (?).

2. I am having trouble assigning the master tempo slot in live to my APC40. I thought I enter MIDI map mode and just press a switch or rotate a knob to get the tempo slot assigned to said switch/knob but this does not appear to be happening. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Warrior Bob

Re: double question for an ableton noob

Post by Warrior Bob » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:32 pm

SmoothSubliminal wrote:1. Is there a way to gradually change tempo in a clip (either by using master tempo or the clips own relative tempo)? In my quick web search there does not appear to be a way outside of using dummy clips (?).
You can't easily do this in a clip that I know of. However, you can automate it from Arrangement view, or you could use some kind of virtual loopback MIDI driver (Bome's, MIDI Yoke, IAC) to control it through mapping, and then sending the correct MIDI signal out from a clip. It's kind of awkward to set up though.
SmoothSubliminal wrote:2. I am having trouble assigning the master tempo slot in live to my APC40. I thought I enter MIDI map mode and just press a switch or rotate a knob to get the tempo slot assigned to said switch/knob but this does not appear to be happening. What am I doing wrong?
Make sure "Remote" is enabled for your APC in MIDI preferences, which allows you to use the quick remote mappings with that controller. You've got the rest of the process right: enter MIDI map mode (everything goes blue), click the control you want to assign (in this case, the tempo, probably the coarse tempo) and then move the knob in question.

SmoothSubliminal

Post by SmoothSubliminal » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:29 am

thanks a lot Warrior!

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:15 pm

No problem! Hope it helped :)