'Transcribe' With Live!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
rachmanoff

'Transcribe' With Live!

Post by rachmanoff » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:20 am

Transcription is one of the best excercises one can do to train the ear, sharpen musical skillz, and find out why you like some of the things you like. Try it with your favorite songs, parts of songs, or just rhythms of songs you like the best. There's huge payoff.

And Live is a transcriber's wet dream. Here's some steps to 'transcribe' in Live:

1. Take a passage of audio you want to transcribe, set it in an audio track, and select a couple measures at a time (the audio should be warped in order to keep MIDI and audio together.. but don't overwarp!)

2. In a midi track, set up some simple sound to play on the keyboard (a piano-type sound would work well), create a midi clip, and set your midi loop regions to mirror the length of the audio loop (mirror loop position too if you're doing a whole song). Then just play along for a little while to the part you want midi-fied.

3. When you're getting close to playing the part how it sounds, record what you're playing. Depending on what you're transcribing, its probably a good idea to turn off record quantization.

You don't even have to play the couple measures all in one pass. Turn the midi overdub switch on and record tiny portions at a time. Just leave everything runnung, and go after any part you like for as long as you need, till you get what you're after. then just shift notes and velocities around to fine tune. You have the source playing side by side with your transcription to compare.

You can slow the tempo down, isolate parts with filters.. all those kinds of things to help.

Ultimately, you'll have such a better understanding of the music you're transcribing from listening to it extra closely and forcing yourself to emulate it. And it's really manageable to do a couple measures at a time.

(sorry for not posting this in tips and tricks.. i wanted as many people to read this as possible. i blame the forum! :) )

conny

Post by conny » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:33 am

Yes, absolutely.
MrYellow had some interesting scale information some time ago and said he might set a tutorial up. (Is it coming..?) Now this is also something that could be shared and worked on for those interested.
Why not just start with some samples and post the problems, results and discuss the process?
For example a melody, a rythm and maybe some chord thing and a bass line to start with. Well, there is already things in the Live factory content one could try.

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:04 am

I also get wicked results by playing something on the keyboard and then transcribing it by drawing the midi notes in. Great excercise for programming.

FreePatOnFire

Re: 'Transcribe' With Live!

Post by FreePatOnFire » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:21 am

Hi there

Sorry, I'm really at the very beginning with Ableton.
Could I ask you how can I "set my midi loop regions to mirror the length of the audio loop (mirror loop position too if you're doing a whole song)"?

I've tried to look it up online but couldn't find an answer.

Thanks in advance!