For some reason, the very first kick is different?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Komodovaran

For some reason, the very first kick is different?

Post by Komodovaran » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Maybe I'm going insane, or maybe something weird is going on.

If I hit stop, and then play from 00:00, the very first kick will sound slightly different from every other kick to appear after that. I'm using a sample, so it has nothing to do with synths.

I've never ever noticed this before, so what's going on?

The Carpet Cleaner

Re: For some reason, the very first kick is different?

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:29 pm

I had the same thing.
if I press two time stop, and go back to 0, the very first kick is different.
If I just put the timeline at 0, the kick is normal.

I consider it as a bug ...

glenn303

Post by glenn303 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Komodovaran wrote:Maybe I'm going insane, or maybe something weird is going on.

If I hit stop, and then play from 00:00, the very first kick will sound slightly different from every other kick to appear after that. I'm using a sample, so it has nothing to do with synths.

Do you have "Create Fades On Clip Edges" enabled in preferences? That could be the problem.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:22 pm

glenn303 wrote:
Komodovaran wrote:Maybe I'm going insane, or maybe something weird is going on.

Do you have "Create Fades On Clip Edges" enabled in preferences? That could be the problem.
But shouldn't that apply to every time the sample is triggered?

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:25 pm

^^What Glenn said, or if you have a compressor or sidechain compressor happening, the first kick might be firing before the compressor has time to respond to any other source material.
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:27 pm

Komodovaran wrote: But shouldn't that apply to every time the sample is triggered?

No, it shouldn't. That preference setting does exactly what it says -- creates fades at the edge of every individual clip in the session. A sample can be triggered numerous times within a single clip, the fades will only effect the first and last, assuming they occur close to the very start and very end.

I'm almost 99% sure that this preference is what is making the first kick sound different in OP's situation. This issue has come up before in the forum...

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:27 pm

I'll check it tomorrow. Right now it's 12:27 AM, and I'm just hearing.. things.

If I try hard enough, I can make the kick drum form a melody all by itself.

2be

Post by 2be » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:30 pm

Have you tried loading a oneshot version of the sample into simpler and triggering it by MIDI?

mihai

Post by mihai » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:48 am

i actually get this on occasion with a groove applied to a drum loop. what happens [in my case where i print to audio often] i'll notice that the actual hits are shifted early by just a few ms so the first hit will have its transient cut out completely while everything else will come in those few ms early.

what i usually do is print a double-length pass then shift what i need to over a bit to satisfy those transients dropping on beat/grid and problem solved. ideal solution or not, don't care. pdc/bug/whatever, don't care. just happens i guess.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:15 am

I think the problem in my case must've been the Create Fades option. I think my ears and my samples are back to normal now :D

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:49 pm

I recall reading somewhere (the manual maybe?) that the fades on clip edges are 4ms long.

I will swear to you that when Live streams audio from a hard disk, if it can't get to the position in the file in time, it'll play nothing until it has enough data. This results in a very short but audible attack. I noticed this when I was trying to get really surgical warping up a particular audio clip in the Arrangement view. It seemed to happen anytime I pressed play, particularly when I had the playhead partway through the clip.

It doesn't seem to happen when I trigger something in the Session View, since I trigger slightly early thanks to universal quantization, and Live has enough time to go get the file.

This seems to go away if I force the clip to be loaded into RAM. It doesn't affect anything that I do so I don't see it as a problem, but I do look out for it.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:26 pm

Very common problem with the fade setting, I have been there before and so have many others. 8)

Alfonso Muchacho

Post by Alfonso Muchacho » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:40 pm

This is why I use drum racks/impulse. Even turning the fades off I was convinced I could hear differences at the beginning of kicks. Use drum racks.

Acid303

Post by Acid303 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:43 pm

I have this problem even with fades enabled turned off. It's driving me crazy. I noticed it when using kick vst or recording kick drums from hardware synths that every few drum hits the sound changes. There's no automation and i've rendered it to audio and tried looping various kick drum on shot samples and the same thing happens whichever part I loop. It always seems create some random glitch or pop or weird change to the sound on the first over every 4 repetitions of the one shot sample played. It's very strange.

My cpu levels are low, my buffer is set quite high and no indication of hard drive issues. I've had this issue with previous versions of live i'm sure but only just got around to researching it. I don't know how to stop it or why it's happening. It only seems to happen with audio and midi kick drums as far as I can notice.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:11 am

I get this all the time when looping midi too. Very annoying.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection