ableton live project folder "icon"

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pieterrr

ableton live project folder "icon"

Post by Pieterrr » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:35 am

weird: when i made a new ableton live session, the session was in a regular OSX folder icon. not the white ableton live icon.

not a big deal (so far), but how did that happen?

+ in that folder there's a file called "icon"... as if that file shouldn't be there and trigger the ableton live icon instead.

dazzer

Re: ableton live project folder "icon"

Post by dazzer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 am

Happens to me too sometimes. No idea why. If I drag the folder away from where the rest live onto the desktops it converts into the Live icon.

The ghost in the machine.

cutdekprod

Post by cutdekprod » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:51 pm

Don't know why it happens but here's the fix on Mountain Lion

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10847

Use an icon from another file or folder

Select the first file or folder and choose File > Get Info. Then select the other file or folder and choose File > Get Info.
In one Info window, select the icon you want to use and choose Edit > Copy.
In the other Info window, select the icon you want to replace and choose Edit >Paste.

spchlmt

Post by spchlmt » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:30 pm

Has anyone figured out how to fix this in Windows 10 yet?

pottering

Post by pottering » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:51 pm

spchlmt wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:30 pm
Has anyone figured out how to fix this in Windows 10 yet?
In Windows, folder icons settings are stored in the hidden "Desktop.ini" file (in each folder).

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/desktop-ini-file-windows

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13631/c ... and-vista/
♥♥♥

sj1

Post by sj1 » Wed May 20, 2020 3:34 pm

Hi.

I too am having a problem with my Ableton folder icons and the above is not quite enough information for me to understand how to fix it.

In my top-level folder containing various Live project folders, there are several different icon styles shown for different project folders. I have no idea why.

I would much live to have one consistent style that indicates an Ableton project folder. (IOW, setting them all to default blank folders is less-than-preferable).

Is anyone else having this issue too? Can anyone tell me the fix? Thanks!
Live 11, Windows 10 Pro, LPP MK3

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu May 21, 2020 12:04 am

Are you running El Capitan?
Ableton Forum Moderator

sj1

Post by sj1 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:46 pm

Ah, I should have mentioned, I'm on Windows 10 here. Sorry!

Does anyone know where the folder icon for Ableton Live project folders is located?
Live 11, Windows 10 Pro, LPP MK3

Snow Ghost

Post by Snow Ghost » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:48 am

This is driving me NUTS. I'm having the same issue, and for the life of me I can't fix it. I've tried reinstalling Ableton, resetting the Database and library, but still nothing. Screenshot attached. The 'Untitled Project' should have the default Ableton folder icns but it's not generating automatically as it should. Every project I've saved so far has had the "Icon?" file generated, and it's just a blank textedit file. If anyone has any solutions, please let me know. Currently running OSX Mojave, Ableton version 10.1.18.

Edit: Tried setting a new location for the User Library in a blank folder - same problem, same "Icon?" file.

luverbeats

Post by luverbeats » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:10 pm

Hi! I haven't been able to find an overall solution but I tend to use a quick fix for this.

I'm running Ableton on Mac, so, when this happens, I click on the Project folder and press cmd + i (which is the same as right click > obtain information). I leave the window that pops up open and do the same with another folder that actually has the Ableton icon. Once that second window pops up, I just click on the folder icon and copy it (cmd + c), then I go to the information window of the project without icon, click on the folder and paste the icon (cmd + v).

It's kind of annoying but at least you have all the folders nice and good looking on your computer! :D

Hope this helps!

Lokua Chicago

Post by Lokua Chicago » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:36 am

For anyone here using OSX, it was noted earlier that you can:

1. Get Info (cmd + i) a Live project that does have the Live icon, then click the top left and copy it.
2. Get Info (cmd + i) on the folder you want to change the icon for
3. Click the icon in the top left and paste (cmd + v) - NOTE: you may have to do paste TWICE. Not sure why.

To do this to many folders at once, see the accepted answer here on Stack Exchange (basically how to "Get Info" for multiple items at once in one window without opening a window per-file): https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... 2590#62590 <- doing it this way will allow you to paste that icon for all the folders you have selected.

dmyra

Post by dmyra » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:15 am

yes this is super annoying. in Windows on Live 11 its in Live11>Resources>Miscellaneous

should be able to search the ableton directories for .ico files. i found it by looking around