Changing parameters over time live in Session view

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dave_house

Changing parameters over time live in Session view

Post by dave_house » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi people,

Probably been asked before but I'm struggling to find the right search terms but...

Is there a way to steadily change a parameter over time in Session view? A bit like an automation envelope. Eg, I want to slowly change the delay on my hi-hat over X bars without having to turn a MIDI knob the whole time. I want to tell it 'go from 0 to 300 in 30 seconds' (or whatever) and let it carry on while I do other stuff.

I've written a Max patch that does this which I could Max For Live-ify as soon as I've sussed Max For Live, but meantime I thought maybe there's a sipler, built-in way to do it in Live?

simmerdown

Re: Changing parameters over time live in Session view

Post by simmerdown » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:34 pm

bottom left corner of clip view there an 'E' button, that opens your envelope window...

when its open click on whatever param you want to effect and the will be the envelope you are drawing....

dave_house

Post by dave_house » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Ah! Thanks! I never knew that could control parameters for anything in the track. The things you miss over the years!

Another question though - what I really want to do is have a very short loop, say 1 bar of hi-hats, and have an envelope effecting it over the span of, say, 30 bars. In the Envelopes box associated with the clip, the envelope can only effect the looped portion of the clip, so in this case 1 bar. Without cutting and pasting the clip so it's 30 bars long, is there any way of affecting parameters of this smaller, looped clip over the duration of 30 bars?

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:16 pm

in the envelope window youve got a Region/Loop box...switch that to 'Unlinked'...

set your start/end...draw as big an envelope as you need

dave_house

Post by dave_house » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:36 pm

You're a legend! Thanks!

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:02 pm

you bet

my kharmic help debt is far from paid