Awesome drummer using Live...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JuanSOLO

Awesome drummer using Live...

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:26 am

This guy on the Dallas Ableton user group site has posted a couple of videos. I think they are cool, I'd love to see more drummers using set up's like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... _lV4pyz4#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGHmeK_q ... e=youtu.be

skullNbones

Re: Awesome drummer using Live...

Post by skullNbones » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:40 am

that's pretty badass. cool idea with tons of possibilities. tight as hell, too, esp. the first video...
MacbookPro 2.33/ Live7/ APC-40/ BCR2000/ padKontrol/ Oxygen61/ Edirol FA-66/ KRK Rokit 5s with sub/ infinite possibility...

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:51 am

Thanks for posting..
One-man-drummer-bands are growing in numbers 8)

maze23a

Post by maze23a » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:37 pm

Ey this is supercool.
Are the Drums triggered?
How is this made?

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:20 pm

maze23a wrote: Are the Drums triggered?
How is this made?
I have no idea, I told the guy who made it to post it here, but I am not sure he's on the forum.

@Rabalder, I wish I could play in your band. That new years video you posted was amazing.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:37 pm

Really nice!

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:14 pm

You'd think it's triggered but I don't think so. He said in the 2nd video that he had to sequence the harmonizators(forgot what they're called) to get the chord progression, so he was playing in time with it.
I think each drum hits a different harmonizator, and it's going through mic's, not midi triggers. I'm not sure he even has midi triggers. I think it's a combo of playing along to a sequence and/or each there's a different effect for each drum mic to get different notes/tones. Great stuff.

I remember thinking while watching it that he could have dummy clips set up for each mic input, so that not all the effects for each input are static ie different fx chains switching automatically over time.
ImageImage

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:30 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:
maze23a wrote: Are the Drums triggered?
How is this made?
I have no idea, I told the guy who made it to post it here, but I am not sure he's on the forum.

@Rabalder, I wish I could play in your band. That new years video you posted was amazing.
Looks like he has a trigger hooked up to the snare so he is probably using triggers. Not sure if he is using them in these videos though. Doesnt sound like it, but Im no expert on the subject.
He uses programmed effects automation (like it says in the description). Each mic has probably got its own effects-chain with automated parameters lined up like a song.
His setup is probably very re-arrangeable without a fixed setting.

@JuanSOLO. Thanks again! Very kind of you.
My "new years video" has become somewhat outdated(at least from my perspective..) Ive rerouted everything, got a second phatty, pimped my theremin and are currently waiting for some external reverb being shipped from Denmark.
Ive been working like a crazy scientist to complete the setup and record a proper demo so I can book some gigs for the summer.
Maybe we can do a split-gig some day...

My video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kd1GJZ8VfA

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:56 pm

!+!+!+!++!+!+!+!+!+gud

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:22 am

JuanSOLO wrote:I am not sure he's on the forum
he is - Max Oepen

/stalk

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:30 am

8)

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:36 am

Rabalder wrote:
Maybe we can do a split-gig some day...
I'd be so into that. Me and my band mate are on that mad scientist action too. We got some recording sessions lined up for next month. This year is gonna be a good one for putting out music.

2 Slim Phatties?...jealous fer sure

I'm working on getting a Tempest. 8O

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:32 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:I'm working on getting a Tempest. 8O
Ohhhh.. Been drooling on that myself!
Gonna get my hands dirty as soon as one shows up in my local shop. :mrgreen:

Max Oepen

Post by Max Oepen » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:31 pm

Thanks, John, for bringing my stuff to attention here! :)

To answer some of the above questions:
No triggers are used, (even though I have one connected to the snare), it's all live sound from four mics. I used to go with 2 overheads plus a kick mic, but risk of feedback during performances (especially when utilizing distortion etc) made me go to close-micing.

If you read my posts on this forum, they're pretty much all related to challenges from this project.

I push my system to get the least amount of latency possible. Ideally I'd like to get below 10ms round-trip, which believe me, sounds easier to achieve than it is. (The number in Live's preferences does not represent your real latency.)

shadx312 pretty much got it. I have a couple of effects-chains. I automate parameters, often adding soft-synth melodies/chords/bass-lines. The only "out-board" effects come from the chaos pad. I play along with a click in my ear and the effects do the work in real time. Very painstaking to "compose", but very rewarding to play along with.

The whole setup has gone through its own evolution. The first incarnation was basically the inverse approach: Start with nothing and loop/layer/process on the go, composing in real-time. There were many routing obstacles to overcome. Florian Bomers' Midi Translator Pro was key to making this possible. I have written literally hundreds of translators that allow me to control every single parameter on every effect with my controllers, never having to touch the laptop. The idea was to learn to play this setup like its own instrument.

The thing I had to learn the hard way was that in order to master an instrument, kinesthetic feedback plays a large role. And with as much complexity as the Spacebar setup, I learned that it was close to impossible to master it, as it is so easy to lose track of which effects are on, which tracks have loops running on them, etc.

So I have now adapted it to where effects-changes are pre-"composed" (automation) and I can keep playing the drums the whole time.

Ironically, with the original setup the audience thought I had stuff going on that was pre-recorded, while now the whole thing has a more exciting and "live" feel to it.

I'm working on recording more of this. Btw, someone mentioned that there are more and more drummers out there starting to do this. I've been working on this for over five years. Back then, absolutely nobody was doing it on drums. KJ Sawka was one of the first I found doing a similar thing, albeit without nearly as much external control. I believe Zach Danziger uses live effects automation now with Mister Barrington, and Martin Dosh has been messing with that too.

I'd be curious to learn about others out there. Please feel free to list any of them.

Thanks for the kind words!
Max Oepen

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks for clarifying!

I was wondering if you had set up 2 or 3 gates to trigger different (or maybe just additional) effects from the same channel, just have 3 different thresholds so depending on how hard you hit the crash it would only trigger 1 effect or 3. Have you tried that?
ImageImage