Maschine - Ableton Live - Focusrite Saphire 24 DSP

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Neubild

Maschine - Ableton Live - Focusrite Saphire 24 DSP

Post by Neubild » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:35 am

Hi all

I'm having some problems recording Maschine into Live via Focusrite Saphire 24 DSP firewire interface - I've tried every kind of routing possible and still can't get the sound of the Maschine showing up in Live - audio track is enabled for recording etc, I have checked all of the Focusrite channels as in AND out

Nothing

Any other Focusrite users got it sussed?

P.S. I can record direct inputs (Korg Monotribe etc) into Focusrite into Live so I know that I CAN route audio (Just don't know if there is something I need to do in Maschine specifically)

lqud009

Re: Maschine - Ableton Live - Focusrite Saphire 24 DSP

Post by lqud009 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:11 pm

Neubild wrote:Hi all

I'm having some problems recording Maschine into Live via Focusrite Saphire 24 DSP firewire interface - I've tried every kind of routing possible and still can't get the sound of the Maschine showing up in Live - audio track is enabled for recording etc, I have checked all of the Focusrite channels as in AND out

Nothing

Any other Focusrite users got it sussed?

P.S. I can record direct inputs (Korg Monotribe etc) into Focusrite into Live so I know that I CAN route audio (Just don't know if there is something I need to do in Maschine specifically)
Hello,

I don't own Maschine - but it has only a Midi In/Out and a USB interface. The Monotribe has a Analog Output. So how do you connected the Maschine to your Saphire Pro? Via Midi? -> Then you'll get never ever Sound into your Interface. If you connected it via USB to the Computer same thing.
Isn't Maschie a Midi Controller or I'm wrong?

I think you must look at the software side to route your audio signal into live. -< do you work with Mac or PC

On the Hardware side I see one possible solution. Connect the "Spdif Out" to the "Spdif In" at you Saphire and send the Sound of Maschine to the Spdif Port the record/monitor it from Live. But take care of feedbacks with experiments like this!

But I think there should be quiet smarter solutions on the software side.

koranek

Post by koranek » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:43 pm

First of all, did it ever work or is this the first time you are trying it.

Can you hear anything else? Can you hear tracks with loops or other VSTs?

If you can, that means the Focusrite is set up OK.

Are you using Maschine as a plugin? Can you see the Maschine interface on your computer?

Maschine has a driver that needs to be installed to have the Maschine hardware communicate with the plugin. It's part of the normal installation. If you've installed a new version of Maschine without installing the newer driver, this may break how Maschine works. You can go to the NI site and check.

If the driver is working, you don't need to do anything besides drop the Maschine plugin into a track and play. You don't even need to record enable the track or set up routing.

If you want to capture the audio from Maschine you can create a new audio track and route the output of the Maschine track to that track.
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

2020 27" iMac i9 10 core, 64G Ram, OS 10.15.7
Push 2
Novation SL MKIII
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 11 Sweet

Ryanmf

Post by Ryanmf » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:11 am

I've had good experiences routing audio to/from Maschine with JACK OSX (or JACK if you're on windows).

I have a Saffire Pro 14, and it's a nice interface, but the Mixcontrol software is a bit weird to me and I generally don't use it unless I absolutely have to.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:41 am

however it is in the mixControl where he can find the solution.
It really is an efficient companion for the interface.
The only problem at first uses: recognize what inputs correspond to the ones in MixControl, once you've identified, it's only fun then.

Just a silly question: have you plugged audio outs of maschine to audio ins of pro24dsp?

Me the other day was trying some skype fun with my father, I couldn't talk or hear him.
Damn S##T the phones were plugged in the microphone inputs and same for the microphone plugged in the phones in'...
what a silly example :lol:

EDIT: enabling every inputs in ableton preferences from the dsp, maybe?

Neubild

Post by Neubild » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:02 pm

Hi

No I've not plugged Maschine into Saphire directly - Maschine is plugged into Macbook via USB

I think the issue may be I need to use Maschine as a standalone VST plugin in Live and take the Saphire out of the equation (other than it doing audio duties)

Does that sound about right?

Cheers

koranek

Post by koranek » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:22 pm

I think that's right. I actually have this setup (Live/Saffire/Maschine). I think the basic confusion you are having is that you are comparing the Monotribe to Maschine. The Monotribe is an external hardware synth that needs to get its audio signal into Live and the way to do this is to patch the audio outs of the Monotribe to the Audio ins of the Saffire. You do this with any external instrument like a synth, a guitar, or a mic and you need to use real physical audio cables to do this.

VSTs run within the host Live. This is true whether you are using Live's instruments or third party plugins. They generate the audio in Live and Live gets that audio out of the computer through the Saffire. From the Saffire's point of view it makes no difference if you use a track with a loop or a track with a plugin. Live just sends the Saffire audio signals.

The confusing thing about Maschine is that it looks like an external instrument (because of the pad controller hardware) but the audio is not generated in the hardware box, it's generated in the plugin running inside of Live. There are no audio jacks on the Maschine box. And you can even completely disconnect the Maschine box from your computer and still run the Maschine plugin without it.

But it's a lot more fun with it.

Hope this explains it. It is a cool setup.
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

2020 27" iMac i9 10 core, 64G Ram, OS 10.15.7
Push 2
Novation SL MKIII
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 11 Sweet

Neubild

Post by Neubild » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:39 pm

Perfect thanks that helps a lot!