Crash Bug still in 8.28: Delete Warp Marker and Undo = Crash

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
tom.luft

Re: Crash Bug still in 8.28: Delete Warp Marker and Undo = Crash

Post by tom.luft » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:08 am

I guess my BSOD is caused by my E-MU soundcard. It is just a feeling, but their driver isn't the most stable one out there...
My BSOD is obviously triggered by live vanishing (eventually!) out of memory. Since one isn't able to kill this app when it crashed I always have to reboot the whole machine to make it work again. That's bad!
Beside your described bug, however, I rarely run into crashes. Most of the times it is an issue with 3rd party VSTs.
Live 11.0.2
Windows 10
i7 6700k, 16GB
Scarlett 18i8

kensonic

Post by kensonic » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:04 pm

I agree that Live is more stable than it used to be. My biggest issue with this crash bug is that it's persisted over so many upgrades. This week will be my first major gig with a laptop and stability is my biggest concern. Personally, I haven't had Live crash while I was simply DJing with it but all of my friends have had it crash on them at least once during a gig, on Macs and PCs. Needless to say, I'm going to have CD decks (with extra hot and funky cued CD's), within arms reach...

[tow]

Post by [tow] » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:06 pm

Please bear in mind to always send crashes and bugs you spot to support@ableton.com, especially if you've already investigated and broken it down into a step-by-step description. Please always include an Ableton status/crash report.
This one has been filed now, btw. Could reproduce it on a Mac, too.

Regards,

Torsten

kensonic

Post by kensonic » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:29 am

Hi Torsten,

Thanks for replying. Great news to hear that this one has be filed. Interesting to note that this also affects Macs.

Thanks so much for taking the time to follow up on it - much appreciated. It's definitely reassuring that Ableton is following the threads here - though your reminder to file the bugs to directly to Support also duly noted.

BTW, I've been DJing for over 20 years and I've run the gamut from vinyl through CDJs but last night I used Live for my first DJ gig on a laptop. It went quite well and due credit to the folks at Ableton: Live didn't hiccup at all, even though I was pushing a bit hard on my meager hardware.

Nevertheless, if I could beg or plead for one single feature to be added to Live it would the capability to display two Session Clip Views at once. I know I'm stating the obvious but for DJing, being able to see both the playing and cued track is the standard for very good reasons. Is there anything we could do to convince the the brass at Ableton to add this? Write in campaigns, $ collections, Occupy Ableton demostrations, anything! Just give us a clue ;-)