Changing Segment BPM On A Group Of Tracks Together

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
PlastikTide

Changing Segment BPM On A Group Of Tracks Together

Post by PlastikTide » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:20 am

Hey All,

I have recently been trying to sort of emulate Monome MLR style sample chopping and have almost achieved something similar by splitting a loop vertically down eight scenes with "follow action next" set on them and then re-order the sequence on the fly. However this all has to be setup in advance to avoid a fairly tedious recreation in a live scenario of a random sample but I realize that you can have a group of these tracks and then "hot-swap" the main sample for an instant switch but unfortunately with the exact same clip settings including the "Seg. BPM".

What I was wondering is does anyone know of a simpler more logical way of doing this or if not then is there a way to change the "Seg. BPM" number of all the scenes in a follow action group together at the same time? I feel that doing so would be fast enough that I could pull it off quickly live if I feel inspired to chop a certain sound I haven't setup in advance.

Hope this makes sense, thanks!

Best,
- Nick a.k.a. Tide -

PlastikTide

Re: Changing Segment BPM On A Group Of Tracks Together

Post by PlastikTide » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:38 am

Or perhaps is there a way to replace the waveform of all the scenes in a follow action group together at the same time?

PlastikTide

Re: Changing Segment BPM On A Group Of Tracks Together

Post by PlastikTide » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:09 pm

For anyone interested the workaround I figured out is basically to create "Dummy Clip" follow action groups at various tempos and bar lengths that I imagine I would most commonly be using live containing a blank *.wav file with no sound in it. If it was a 128 BPM/2 Bar loop I would name the patch "128 (2 Bar)" So basically I just drag the "Dummy Clip" group onto a track and for example record a live loop through a mic then on the fly "replace" the blank file with the newly recorded one in the File Manager and then start chopping.

It works but requires me to have all the possible "Dummy Clip" combos created in advance. If anyone has experience in this area let me know how you achieved your method! :mrgreen:

- Nick a.k.a. Tide -