Is it a good time to get a MacBook Pro ?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Machinesworking

Re: Is it a good time to get a MacBook Pro ?

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:54 pm

I seem to recall that the Apple Store will replace a logic board for a flat fee of $350 btw. If you look online for a logic board people sell them for roughly $500, so it's definitely worth it to make a genius bar appointment and see if this is still the case.

Never can figure out how Apple do things sometimes, LCD replacement is something like $1,100 yet they seem to be honorable when it comes to their own hardware. :roll:

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:35 am

Machinesworking wrote:I seem to recall that the Apple Store will replace a logic board for a flat fee of $350 btw. If you look online for a logic board people sell them for roughly $500, so it's definitely worth it to make a genius bar appointment and see if this is still the case.

Never can figure out how Apple do things sometimes, LCD replacement is something like $1,100 yet they seem to be honorable when it comes to their own hardware. :roll:

Yeah, great point MW! Tnx. I'd forgotten that about the flat fee. Hope that's still the case. Made my appointment for Monday am. Fingers crossed. :|
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:29 pm

Good news! Turns out it wasn't a logic board issue or anything hardware related. We booted up in safe mode, cleaned some shit out, cleaned more shit out, and more still. Restarted...works great.

Still got my eye on the MBP refresh next month. :twisted: At least this puppy will keep humming along for a bit longer.

However, Question: I noticed that on my external drive where I do my TimeMachine backups I can actually access individual folders/apps/files/etc. I thought for sure that you couldn't do this via the Finder because everything was essentially compressed? Bit surprised to see essentially an exact mirror.

???

:x

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:23 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:essentially compressed? Bit surprised to see essentially an exact mirror.
:)

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:30 pm

beats me wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:essentially compressed? Bit surprised to see essentially an exact mirror.
:)

:x :x I know, right? :x :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:32 pm

Now, mofo. Open up your TM backup and tell me if you can also access your individual files. I could have sworn when I tried during Snow Leopard that you could NOT. There was only mondo bizarro encrypted file formats listed.

Essentially, anyway. :x :) :x

steko

Post by steko » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:37 pm

http://pondini.org/TM/Works.html

NOTE: Try to avoid looking at your backups via the Finder. If you accidentally change, move, or delete anything, they can be hopelessly corrupted.
http://pondini.org/OSX/Home.html

A good old Safe Boot often works wonders! http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:46 pm

As usual, you're the MAN steko. Tnx :x

masterblasterofdisaster

Post by masterblasterofdisaster » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:25 pm

Machinesworking wrote:I seem to recall that the Apple Store will replace a logic board for a flat fee of $350 btw. If you look online for a logic board people sell them for roughly $500, so it's definitely worth it to make a genius bar appointment and see if this is still the case.

350, eh? I was quoted close to 1K.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:39 pm

man, I just did it. I have been on a 2Ghz white plastic macbook, and I bought the 15' macbook pro now. because on the old one the firewire plug started making problems and it wasn't reliable for gigs anymore. I already had two ugly situations in front of audience with it.

I am quite happy with the new one, but I am a bit sorry that 2 times faster/better is actually not that much. I easily get to 40 percent cpu just by noodling around with stuff.

and it's fucking expensive.

what is great, though, was that I can now use The Mouth by NI/Tim Exile in my big Liveset during concerts just for doing crazy improvised stuff without the computer hanging. yesyes, fun times last wek on the first gig with it.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:49 am

masterblasterofdisaster wrote:

350, eh? I was quoted close to 1K.

They told me $280 for a logic board replacement. CHEAP. 8O

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:50 am

pepezabala wrote:man, I just did it. I have been on a 2Ghz white plastic macbook, and I bought the 15' macbook pro now. because on the old one the firewire plug started making problems and it wasn't reliable for gigs anymore. I already had two ugly situations in front of audience with it.

I am quite happy with the new one, but I am a bit sorry that 2 times faster/better is actually not that much. I easily get to 40 percent cpu just by noodling around with stuff.

and it's fucking expensive.

what is great, though, was that I can now use The Mouth by NI/Tim Exile in my big Liveset during concerts just for doing crazy improvised stuff without the computer hanging. yesyes, fun times last wek on the first gig with it.

The 40% is because the Live engine is old and tired. :lol:

How much RAM did you go with / add-on?

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:36 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:

only the built in 4 GB. I will update this in a month or two and drop in 8 GB. or 16. not sure. 16 would be kind of overkill, isn't it? I mean I do not edit video while I play live-concerts and make visuals in isadora or so.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:47 pm

pepezabala wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:

only the built in 4 GB. I will update this in a month or two and drop in 8 GB. or 16. not sure. 16 would be kind of overkill, isn't it? I mean I do not edit video while I play live-concerts and make visuals in isadora or so.

I'm going to upgrade to the full 16 once I get a new MBP. Overkill? Perhaps. But it gives you the freedom to be running multiple apps either during a show or recording. And man.....the stuff is so cheap at this point. $244 for 16GB? That's fantastic. 8O

steko

Post by steko » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:05 pm

You're welcome! :x

I'm not using Time Machine (Carbon Copy Cloner) & wonder why they make the stuff directly accessible (unlike e.g. the iPhoto Library -> package), where folks can muck around ...
I'm going to upgrade to the full 16 once I get a new MBP. Overkill? Perhaps. But it gives you the freedom to be running multiple apps either during a show or recording. And man.....the stuff is so cheap at this point. $244 for 16GB? That's fantastic. 8O
+1 -> RAM prices are at a historical all-time low: http://www.macworld.com/article/165520/ ... und_1.html - http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/201 ... rends.html

For a new Mac always check here: http://macperformanceguide.com/index_topics.html
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6