stubhub has taken ticket scalping to the extrememe!!!!!!!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
nathannn

stubhub has taken ticket scalping to the extrememe!!!!!!!

Post by nathannn » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:20 am

a ticket to go see M83 in Detroit was originally $15.00
now since it sold out due to scalping the tickets are going from $45.00 - $222.00
Florence and the Machine tickets are the same $90 and up and there are 1700 available tickets through scalpers, the venue only seats around 5,000. this tells me half of all tickets are being sold to scalpers!!!
why is this site even legal?
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

dhilsabeck

Re: stubhub has taken ticket scalping to the extrememe!!!!!!!

Post by dhilsabeck » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:56 am

Interesting stuff. Ticket brokers are making tons of money. No doubt.

I also know some everyday folks who pull good tickets to in demand shows just because they know how, turn around and sell them instantly on stubhub to people who got shut out or are just willing to pay a premium to not have to deal with presales, passwords or just don't give a shit just as long as they get into the show. Profits can be pretty staggering in very short periods of time (15 minutes turnaround) for merely knowing how to work the system. And stubhub always gets their cut so they always win.

I don't know how it's legal either but I guess it helps people get what they want without the hassles of ticket scalpers or potentially bunk tickets at the event.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:02 pm

Legalized scalping is just an example of businesses lobbying local legislatures for favorable laws. In Massachusetts where stubhub resides, scalping was illegal for many years then miraculously was legalized to make it easier for fans to get tickets 8O

What a joke! What it means is that ticket prices have shot through the roof because these "ticket agencies" become the only place to buy them. Nothing but a middleman profiting from demand :x

Meanwhile, the teams penalize ticketholders who try reselling their tickets above face value (hint: don't do it online) :roll:

Ace Tickets, one of the largest agencies in Boston with an office across the street from Fenway Park, is "a proud sponsor of the Red Sox".

Save me :evil:

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:11 pm

Whats even worse is when you get the ticket outlets, in this case ticketmaster, actually scalping their own tickets on secondary websites they own. They got busted for it in 2009 but Im pretty sure they still do it. Last time I tried to get a hockey ticket in town they were somehow all sold out, which they almost never are, so I got redirected to their 'sports ticket resell' website, where i could pay 4x the face value for a ticket that I could just go buy at the box office

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:34 pm

its crazy, almost every band that is coming to my area is sold out.
goyte http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY has only been famous for about a month here in the states and he manages to sell out?
its a great time to be in a band though. you make a song throw it on youtube, plan a tour and sell out before you even leave your house.
you may only play to 2 people but at least every ticket has been sold.
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

pskept

Post by pskept » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:58 pm

if people don't buy tickets from stubhub then stubhub can't do business. suck it up and take a chance on a door ticket the day of the show. thankfully phish loves their fans and provides a lottery.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:42 pm

Personally I like having tickets in hand prior to leaving for any show.

And I think people will always be willing to shell out the cash to both guarantee entry and to sit where they want. Especially with big acts like Phish. If I had fuckloads of money I'd probably do it too if I didn't get what I wanted in the lottery or if it was a particularly tough ticket (NYE, Halloween).

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:22 am

i also like having a ticket in hand but scalping is so out of control i think bands should just do away with pre sales and sell tickets at the door.
andrew wk is also sold out in detroit.....
i remember going to see him back in 2002 and he didnt sell out then at the height of his career, how could he be sold out now at the most shit point of his career?
not that i want to ever see andrew wk again.

no computers or synths

pskept

Post by pskept » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:51 pm

dhilsabeck wrote:Personally I like having tickets in hand prior to leaving for any show.

And I think people will always be willing to shell out the cash to both guarantee entry and to sit where they want. Especially with big acts like Phish. If I had fuckloads of money I'd probably do it too if I didn't get what I wanted in the lottery or if it was a particularly tough ticket (NYE, Halloween).
i agree with all of this. i'm really just bitter that i don't have tons of money to blow on pit tickets for every show.

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:21 pm

moved to the Lounge.

Sage

Post by Sage » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:55 pm

If people didn't pay the extortionate prices, then there'd be no business for the people and companies involved in all this. It is the consumer that needs to change ultimately.

And who would want to see Florance and The Machine anyway?

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:58 pm

why would some one not want to see this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czhA9ow0ZFE

no computers or synths

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:04 pm

I'm like 'who the fuck are all these people I've never seen before'. Then I saw David's post. :lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:04 pm

Ableton_David wrote:moved to the Lounge.
makes sense.
toilet material goes to the toilet.

no computers or synths

Sage

Post by Sage » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:08 pm

nathannn wrote:why would some one not want to see this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czhA9ow0ZFE
Just always seen her as a second rate Bat For Lashes/Gabby Young & Other Animals (Who was doing the dyed red hair and general image & sound a long time before).