Recording Shoot-out: I made a mistake!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rikhyray

Re: Recording Shoot-out: Ableton proved inferior??

Post by rikhyray » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:13 pm

You asked for it. There is difference asking for help "cant get stereo signal in" or "why my stereo input turns mono" to "Recording Shoot out Ableton proved inferior?" I , neither anyone familiar with audio production needs to know anything more about you then read your post and hear the examples. I dont want to make fool out of you, you did.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:24 pm

just went through the wav files...

your test is seriously flawed..
I don't know where.. (not PT)... but it is !
the live file..
for instance... is "mono-stereo" (same signal on L and R)
while the PT file isn't..

check yourself !

also..
do yourself a favor and search this forum for 'live sound quality'..
or 'live summing'..or 'live audio engine'..

Opz

Post by Opz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:57 pm

I know the test is flawed by now, but why did it happen?
I can't seem to find the difference. I've always recorded using the same setup without any problems at all.
The only difference is that I recorded at 96 kHz for the first time in Live.
And I also recorded in PT for the first time ever at home (I have recorded to a TDM based PT8 system during my audio engineering classes but I only recently bought PT9 myself).

Actually, prior to doing these flawed recordings I recorded a different song in Live using the setup that I would normally use, at 44.1 kHz/32 bit. Nothing was wrong, all sounded nice as it should. I did not change anything except change the sample rate from 44.1 to 96 kHz and this was the result. So as I already told, I changed the sample rate in Live back to 44.1 kHz and recorded the song again but the result was the same for the 96 kHz recording in Live. Why? Before switching sample rates all was well.

Why would changing my sample rate cause this?
And why, at 96 kHz, is the sound in PT10 as is should be while it is not sounding correctly in Live at 96 kHz?
Only after changing the sample rate in Live I started to have this problem. But the problem is not there when using PT10.
I'm just curious and that's why I'll post the results when I redo the recordings.
This is the first time ever that I'm having these results, I just want to resolve the mistake I'm making.

And @3dot: about maximizing the audio coming in at the 828mkII inputs;
I should have written that down more carefully. What I do is add gain to the point where it is loud enough without clipping. But I forgot to mention that it's added in a 'sensible' matter. Even though I'm mixing it properly after recording, I try not to loose the balance of the song too much by applying the gain proportionally to all tracks. So yes, some tracks have a lot of headroom while others have far less. But they all still have headroom.
Last edited by Opz on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Opz

Post by Opz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:13 pm

rikhyray wrote:You asked for it. There is difference asking for help "cant get stereo signal in" or "why my stereo input turns mono" to "Recording Shoot out Ableton proved inferior?" I , neither anyone familiar with audio production needs to know anything more about you then read your post and hear the examples. I dont want to make fool out of you, you did.
'Can't get stereo signal in'?? What are you talking about? I never said I wanted to record a stereo signal nor did I say my stereo input turns to mono.

Opz

Post by Opz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:34 pm

friend_kami wrote:this again?
really?
Yes, this again.
Due to the fact that I had different results between hosts and I want to know what I'm doing wrong.

just_in

Post by just_in » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:41 pm

rikhyray wrote:You asked for it. There is difference asking for help "cant get stereo signal in" or "why my stereo input turns mono" to "Recording Shoot out Ableton proved inferior?"
This.

OP, probably you messed up somewhere. Or you discovered a bug in your audio drivers or in Live..
Either way, you should have approached this with a different attitude. I suggest you just make a new thread and ask the mods to delete this one.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:47 pm

Opz wrote: I never said I wanted to record a stereo signal nor did I say my stereo input turns to mono.
But that is what you got and posted- the files are:
PT is stereo
Live is mono
Since the files are dual mono it cannot be Live`s export set to mono.

Post the screenshots, will be easier to find the error which could be:
1. @ your inputs setting in Live
2.@ soundcards software
It is not a big deal, but you really started at wrong foot with all that "Shootout Ableton proved inferior" and got people discussing something else, without listening to your samples that speak for themselves clearly.

Make yourself clear, what do you want? Solve your issue or challenge the forum, Ableton and the Universe?

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:14 pm

deleted: no point.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Opz wrote:You don't know me and haven't got any idea of my knowlegde and skills. Maybe for the first time I'm not seeing what I'm doing wrong (also due to using options I haven't used before), but I usually have enough experience to fix any problem.
Heads-up: you're on a slippery slope with this one. I'd just let it go if I were you. If you have actual experience, you most definitely recognize that you are listening to 100% flat mono instead of stereo. If you have actual experience, you DON'T react by starting a "recording shoot-out" thread afterwards, "Ableton proved inferior??"

It hasn't got anything to do with using unfamiliar options. Whatever options you are faced with, you should be able to hear from the end result "oh, this plays back as mono, I wonder why it's happening?" Instead, you start out by suspecting it's about engine differences and you describe the output you're getting from Live is "squeezed, slightly more dull and has some sort of boxiness to it." No shit, it's mono.

Maybe start a completely new thread and detail the actual issue there without the nonsense?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:14 pm

last night i bought a Cuisinart CJE-1000. Live definitely has inferior sound quality. the summing bus sound engine auto warp modulator code wave generator algorithms are clearly different. Live is incapable of generating that level of tones and frequencies on any kind of comparable playing field.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Opz wrote:To me it's seems to be the difference in 'digital summing' of both hosts.
you're a victim of interweb DAW forum. too much reading, not enough doing. you know the buzzwords but you don't know what to do with them.

take it as a learning experience.

back to the badgers and their lunch.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:30 pm

^ disagree. i think he's on to something and should keep going.

forever.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:31 pm

last night i bought a Cuisinart CJE-1000. Live definitely has inferior sound quality. the summing bus sound engine auto warp modulator code wave generator algorithms are clearly different. Live is incapable of generating that level of tones and frequencies on any kind of comparable playing field.
"There really is no comparison... they are totally different. The masticating machines will always be more efficient, giving a higher juice yield with dryer pulp. They are also twice the price (or more), harder to use, and harder to clean. If you want convenience, choose a centrifugal system, but you will sacrifice juice yield and pulp dryness. If you want the absolute most you can get out of your produce and don't mind spending more time juicing and cleaning up afterwards, buy a masticating system."
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
i think he's on to something and should keep going.
"The kid who swallows marbles doesn't grow up to have kids of his own."
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:32 pm

shadx312 wrote:"There really is no comparison... they are totally different. The masticating machines will always be more efficient, giving a higher audio output yield with warmer tones. They are also twice the price (or more), harder to use, and harder to upgrade to 64 bit. If you want convenience, choose a centrifugal DAW, but you will sacrifice MIDI yield and reverb dryness. If you want the absolute most you can get out of your production and don't mind spending more time mixing and mastering afterwards, buy a masticating system."
fixed.