gangster rap created by owners of private prisons??

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Forge.

gangster rap created by owners of private prisons??

Post by Forge. » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:04 am

http://www.waxpoetics.com/blog/news/mus ... confession
wax poetics wrote:We love a good conspiracy theory. But even the ones that ring true can’t always be trusted. But then again, our entire global history is rife with real conspiracies, not just theories.

Wax Poetics, along with many other good people in the music and publishing industry, received this email today from an anonymous source claiming to be a former insider. We have chosen to post this for our audience to read, but we neither support nor argue against the claims of Mr. “John Smith.”
"Between the late 80?s and early 90’s, I was what you may call a “decision maker” with one of the more established company in the music industry......<snip>

in early 1991, I was invited to attend a closed door meeting with a small group of music business insiders to discuss rap music’s new direction. Little did I know that we would be asked to participate in one of the most unethical and destructive business practice I’ve ever seen........<snip>

He explained that the companies we work for had invested millions into the building of privately owned prisons and that our positions of influence in the music industry would actually impact the profitability of these investments. .....<snip>

We were told that these prisons were built by privately owned companies who received funding from the government based on the number of inmates. The more inmates, the more money the government would pay these prisons. It was also made clear to us that since these prisons are privately owned, as they become publicly traded, we’d be able to buy shares. ,.....<snip>

He told us that since our employers had become silent investors in this prison business, it was now in their interest to make sure that these prisons remained filled. Our job would be to help make this happen by marketing music which promotes criminal behavior, rap being the music of choice. He assured us that this would be a great situation for us because rap music was becoming an increasingly profitable market for our companies, and as employee, we’d also be able to buy personal stocks in these prisons."

noisetonepause

Re: gangster rap created by owners of private prisons??

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:06 am

That's ridiculous.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:37 am

noisetonepause wrote:That's ridiculous.
hope so.

where the hell have you been? 8O

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Is it?

Pennsylvania Judge Gets 'Life Sentence' For Prison Kickback Scheme
http://www.forbes.com/sites/walterpavlo ... ck-scheme/

I doubt this is the only case.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:10 pm

whether or not it has to do with rap or not is not as horrific as the fact that there is definitely an invested interest in keeping folks a part of the system
for instance if certain segments of society were not in jail and not under felony restrictions it would ruin everything politically desired at least in the country where I live.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:44 pm

Forge. wrote:hope so.
I've rethought this and maybe it isn't completely ridiculous that this took place as I first thought.

What is ridiculous, though, is the idea that listening to rap music makes people go out and commit crimes.
where the hell have you been? 8O
Here and there :) Making music and running Live again ATM
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:39 pm

It really doesn't matter, but all I know is I wanna see more Tupac holograms on tour. I'd pay anything to see that, especially with eMiNem.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:49 pm

noisetonepause wrote: What is ridiculous, though, is the idea that listening to rap music makes people go out and commit crimes.
hmm... I'm not so sure.... I doubt these kinds of people who are all about money would make sweeping claims like that if there weren't stats to back up their claims... clearly it does have an effect.

and actually I was a teenager around that time and I'm not sure me and my mates wouldn't have nicked spray cans from K-mart so we could bomb our schools if we hadn't been totally into things like Ice-T and Colors and Beat Street etc at the time!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Its ridiculous but ...
William Leonard Roberts II (born January 28, 1976), better known by his stage name Rick Ross (often stylized as RICK RO$$), is an American rapper. He derived his stage name from the drug trafficker "Freeway" Ricky Ross, to whom he has no connection.
...after overwhelming evidence of his past came into the public's eye, Ross later admitted that he did work as a correctional officer in Florida during the early 1990s.[27] In a 2008 interview with AllHipHop.com,[28] "Freeway" Ricky Ross, claimed offense that Roberts used his name and identity when he learned that The Smoking Gun posted documents revealing Roberts' previous employment as a Florida correctional officer.[29]
Tldr; a prison guard steals the persona of notorious coke overlord and becomes gangsta rapper.

andydes

Post by andydes » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:51 pm

Bagatell wrote:
Is it?

Pennsylvania Judge Gets 'Life Sentence' For Prison Kickback Scheme
http://www.forbes.com/sites/walterpavlo ... ck-scheme/

I doubt this is the only case.
Now that's disgusting. I hope the other inmates literally tear him a new arsehole in jail. Hell, it would almost be worth going to jail just to join in.

As for the op, it seems unlikely. But it's kind of irrelevant if you think it would work or not. The question is whether some morally bankrupt dick (probably with no idea about music anyway), would think it's worth pursuing that kind of deal. It wouldn't surprise me that much.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:48 pm

as far as my experience has taken me, I've only ever seen criminals who become rappers, I've never seen a rapper become a criminal.
every gangsta rapper that I know of was a gangsta before a rapper. I think there are more rock musicians who turned into criminals after they were rock musicians.

still, the prison system is the huge ugly rock that hasn't been turned over yet, and I have no doubt about the shenanigans going on in that system.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:52 pm

There's so many things wrong with this story that it's hard to know where to even begin.

ffs.

:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:04 am

omfg.

Funny, but I just read an article on the subject of private prisons yesterday.

1st off, 'Funding from the Government' based on the number of inmates. omfg. That's now how it works at all. :lol: There are established fee based contracts that have fuck all to do with the 'number of inmates'. omfg. In fact, many privately run prisons get into enormous hot water BECAUSE THEY CONSTANTLY TURN AWAY NEW INMATES. LOL. Why? Because they are paid with a set contract, and it's in their best interest to have as few inmates as possible. They also hate violent prisoners because THEY FUCKING COST MORE TO MANAGE.

I could continue, but why bother. Christ.

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:31 am

if that's not how it works, then why did that Judge bother?

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:05 pm

Well at least we can all agree that rap has elevated respect for women.

:x