Transpose from Am to A

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djtom2000

Transpose from Am to A

Post by djtom2000 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:43 am

Hi,

I have a track that I have put together that is in "A" and the accapella is in "A" but my baseline and stab are in "Am".

I think I need to transpose the baseline and stab to get them in "A" but I don't know how much, e.g. 1 to the left or 1 to the right, etc.

Any help appreciated.

Is there some methodology to this?

Many thanks

Tom

swishniak

Re: Transpose from Am to A

Post by swishniak » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:18 am

hmmm - the first thing would be to make sure the 3rd and 7th of the chord are not minor (flatted)

you should be able to fool with the notes of the chord until it sounds major - if you can hear the difference already.

good luck

gjm

Post by gjm » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:32 am

Transposing will not change a Minor into a Major. You need to learn the notes that make up an A Major scale and then learn to play an A Major Chord.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:33 am

Well, you can shift your bass line and stabs 3 semitones down (i.e to the left) and then your song will be in F# minor. That should sort of work in theory, because F# minor is the minor relative scale to the A major scale. Anyway, listen and see if you like it.
|soundcloud|

MBP 2.2 GHz i7 quad 10.7.5 8GB ram | Live9suite | Reaper | Metric Halo ULN-2 + DSP | PSI A21-M active monitors | Littlepapercones passive speakers | Studer 169 analog mixer

n8tron

Post by n8tron » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:33 pm

If your bass line and stabs are midi then just change every C# to C, every F# to F, and every G#to G (basically any black keyboard notes to white). If the bass line is recorded audio, cut up each note that hits a C#, F#, or G# and again transpose it down 1 semitone. If the stabs are audio and they are major chords, then the only way to do this is with Melodyne with direct note access. Your results may vary...

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:18 pm

bicarbone wrote:Well, you can shift your bass line and stabs 3 semitones down (i.e to the left) and then your song will be in F# minor. That should sort of work in theory, because F# minor is the minor relative scale to the A major scale. Anyway, listen and see if you like it.
for some reason describing the relative minor as 'to the left' is funny and quite punk rock. I can fully imagine standing in a rehearsal room shouting at a bassist to "go left you bastard! No! More left!"
Spinal tap moment.

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:55 pm

ToonTracks have a nice new software, "EZ Keys".
It has a built-in chord wheel and can transpose midi from any scale to another.

Just the image:http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/ezkey ... change.jpg

Link to site: http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/ezkeys/
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:09 pm

n8tron wrote:If your bass line and stabs are midi then just change every C# to C, every F# to F, and every G#to G (basically any black keyboard notes to white). If the bass line is recorded audio, cut up each note that hits a C#, F#, or G# and again transpose it down 1 semitone. If the stabs are audio and they are major chords, then the only way to do this is with Melodyne with direct note access. Your results may vary...
He wanted to go from A minor to A major. You're taking him from A major to A minor.
bicarbone wrote:Well, you can shift your bass line and stabs 3 semitones down (i.e to the left) and then your song will be in F# minor. That should sort of work in theory, because F# minor is the minor relative scale to the A major scale. Anyway, listen and see if you like it.
Might sound cool, but essentially changes the "tonal" center in the bass line from A to F# while the upper part is still centered on A. Regardless of whether they share a key signature, the parts will be orbiting around two different central tones.

And for the record, as gjm hinted, this would not be transposition. Transposition is when the intervallic content of a pitch collection, melody, or chord progression remains the same while the pitches themselves are shifted by some interval. What adonis wants is a modal shift. To change from a minor mode to its parallel major mode.
Unsound Designer

masterblasterofdisaster

Post by masterblasterofdisaster » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:11 pm

stringtapper wrote: Transposition is when the intervallic content of a pitch collection, melody, or chord progression remains the same while the pitches themselves are shifted by some interval. What adonis wants is a modal shift. To change from a minor mode to its parallel major mode.
http://www.andymilne.dial.pipex.com/Modulation.shtml

Edit: Forgot to say, "yes, what stringtapper sez."

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Yes, it's modulation. I guess I was hesitant to use the term in this context because in music theory we normally use it to describe a musical process (i.e. something happening in an actual piece of music) rather than an arranging or orchestrational procedure like adonis's problem.
Unsound Designer

masterblasterofdisaster

Post by masterblasterofdisaster » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:39 pm

stringtapper wrote:Yes, it's modulation. I guess I was hesitant to use the term in this context because in music theory we normally use it to describe a musical process (i.e. something happening in an actual piece of music) rather than an arranging or orchestrational procedure like adonis's problem.
That's an interesting point my instructors either didn't reinforce, or I missed.

Edit: Reason: word choice.

Breaks Dude

Post by Breaks Dude » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:25 pm

The other option is Melodyne. Haven't tried it on something like this but that program is flat out amazing.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:42 pm

stringtapper - thanks for hanging out around here.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:39 pm

Tone Deft wrote:stringtapper - thanks for hanging out around here.
Thanks TD. Yeah sometimes it's good to step away from the antics of The Lounge and get on topic. :)

To lay it out completely and organize what others have already touched upon, what adonis needs to do is just look at the structure of the A minor and A major scales and draw the comparison.

A minor - A-B-C-D-E-F-G

A major - A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#

Find where each note of the two scales lies on the piano roll and then shift any C, F, or G that happens in the bass line up a half step. If it's an audio file then as someone said you're going to have to find where the Cs, Fs, and Gs are in the line and edit them to their own clips and then use the clip transpose feature to raise them a half step.

Edit: or you can just use a clip envelope to transpose the notes within the audio without creating cuts.
Unsound Designer

gjm

Post by gjm » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:31 am

funken wrote:A minor is actually the same as C, so you would transpose A minor down three to get to A.
Are you sure?
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller