Export master with everything?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
jbm

Export master with everything?

Post by jbm » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:53 pm

Hi All,

The project I'm working on uses a few dummy clips to control automation in the Session view. The track that these clips are on uses the IAC Bus to control a Sampler instance on an adjacent track. Everything works great while I'm improvising with this, and I can record the results into the Arrangement, as expected. But when I export, I lose all the Sampler stuff. Obviously this is because the Export function doesn't actually play the MIDI data that's coming from the dummy clips, though the IAC Bus... This is kind of annoying, as I would assume that it would just bounce everything that's happening in the arrangement...
Does anyone know how I can do this properly? I'm just trying to get a stereo file export of everything, but I can't see any way to do that. It would be super lame if I had to actually route audio to another app, but I suppose I'll do it if that's the only way.

Thanks in advance.

James.

jbm

Re: Export master with everything?

Post by jbm » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:59 pm

hmm... for some reason, posting a question always makes a new idea come to mind...

So, what I've done for now is to create yet another track, which receives audio from the Sampler instance. This one gets recorded to the Arrangement and thus does export properly. Is that the best way? O is there some approach that doesn't require 3 tracks for one idea?

Thanks,

J.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:36 pm

If you are resampling everything to audio then you may not have to export it as well. The audio you record will get saved in the project folder (samples/recorded) so you can just grab it from there, it could save you some time, unless of course you need to dither or something using the export.

jbm

Post by jbm » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:16 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I'm exporting as well. Good to know about the samples/recorded folder.

cheers,

J.