Live 8 + Launchpad + LPC vs. Maschine Mikro

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Chingy

Live 8 + Launchpad + LPC vs. Maschine Mikro

Post by Chingy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:55 pm

Hi,

I just got Live 8 plus a Launchpad and LPC from nativeKontrol. I also have a Maschine Mikro, but with the Live / Launchpad / LPC, I'm wondering if there is any reason to still keep it. For those that have both, what do you prefer using the Maschine for, if anything? I made a Geist template for the Mikro, which is the only thing I can think of keeping it for, but I think the Launchpad could be used for that instead.

Cheers!
C

Chingy

Re: Live 8 + Launchpad + LPC vs. Maschine Mikro

Post by Chingy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:22 am

Bump please?

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:39 am

which feels better for percussive playing?

which is better for sound design workflow like sample layering, ease of resampling?

for this reason alone you might want to keep the maschine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhFfff5ERoE

Chingy

Post by Chingy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:51 pm

Any additional opinions? Thanks!

Chingy

Post by Chingy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:53 am

As an update to this, spent some time creating a Mikro template using Selected Track Control, which has allowed me the best of both worlds - Ableton and Maschine. I can't have a clip launch matrix like on the Launchpad, but I don't use Live 8 for DJing or playing Live, so I don't particularly need that. I can control most of the Live parameters necessary for mouse-free recording through the Mikro and on top of that, I can use Maschine as my groove box inside Live as well (which is great - I even like it more than drum racks, but I don't have to choose since I can play the drum racks with my template as well). The Mikro also has better pads (velocity sensitive for one) than the Launchpad. LPC + the Launchpad is a great solution as well, but with this custom template now, Mikro can do everything I need it to do plus more (Geist template, can use Maschine still, etc.).

If anybody would like to try my Mikro template, let me know.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:54 pm

The maschine is made for velocity sensitive note input, the launchpad is primarily for clip launching, I know with LPC you get all those options for playing in drums and scale/chord options, but I've never used that for anything more than rough sketches. I'd say hang onto the maschine if you like playing in beats, because that is not the launchpads strong suit.