Machine - worth it? (yawn...)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dazzer

Machine - worth it? (yawn...)

Post by dazzer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:09 am

I know this is a horrendously noob-ish question but i got a good offer on buying Machine.

Thinking of two obvious things here - the chance to use it standalone for something a bit different to normal and the chance to integrate in Live.

Feel free to ignore/post tuts/insult the laziness of this post.

Fish!

starving student

Re: Machine - worth it? (yawn...)

Post by starving student » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:23 am

depends on what you want to do with it…exactly
for instance many people get one to replace hardware samplers but maschine and every other hardware sampler are quite different.
that's a bad reason to get one.
make sure you read the feature list of what it can do, imho that's key

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:46 am

^ Cheers, yes I kind of know what it does from reading over the years and i'm starting to explore tuts too. I'll re-read all NI's info on it too.

I don't want it to replace anything, it's for the idea of doing some stuff OTB, using pads as opposed to keys for a change, hoping to also use it as some kind of controller for Live... just for a change of focus more than anything. As i said, the price is currently right so it's now or never.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:41 am

You don't need it, but it can make your workflow much more fun, I imagine.

I wish I had the money to buy one :P

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:08 pm

^ I bever considered it before but as I said, great offer on ATM so considering it. Still going thru vids to see if my old set-in-its-ways brain could make sense of it.

Machine users - much of a learning curve?

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:37 pm

no it's not much of a learning curve at all, live is much more of a curve

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:11 pm

Its not a matter of money to me. I simply dont have anymore studio desk space. So looks like those hard earned are going towards Traktor software with F1 and X1 instead, seing they would work much better for me live then Ableton Live.

But Live and APC 40 is the setup in the studio of cource, for a long time to come.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:42 pm

I don't fancy an APC at all - if I was gonna do stuff live it'd be a different story.

While just going thru Maschine's YouTube channel I started off with a nonplussed expression but 30 mins later had a big smile on. First of all I think beats this way'd be a huge plus, even if I was step-sequencing rather than jamming, use it as a VST with separate tracks for each drum part and my usual transient and compression VSTs on each track/bus. Man I'm tempted...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:55 pm

http://tarekith.com/maschine/

Just some of my thoughts on it.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:12 pm

Thanx Tarekith, interesting read.

A bit like was said before, I don't _need_ it but I think I could certainly find it a positive contribution to my workflow. But not sure if the contribution was worth the price. But , mmmm, the price _is_ sweet I can get.

GAS I think,

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:13 pm

If you can get a good price on it, you can always sell it for little loss if you don't get on with it. That's basically what I did.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:44 pm

at the right price I would get one again just to use as a controller. I like the pads a lot.
didn't care much for the software.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:51 pm

^ http://jrrshop.com/catalog/native-instr ... -8301.html

Plus, if you look on KVR theres a code for extra 15% off (not sure if the extra off is still valid).

I don't live in the States but a local shop can match it on price, just not with the additional discount

UltimateOutsider

Post by UltimateOutsider » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:09 pm

I own one. Love the hardware (nice pads, intuitive controls, has never crashed or gone weird with USB) and feel the software's quite nice and fun to use.

The thing is, it's so fun to use and has so many nice sounds and kits- especially if you go for the expansion packs- that I keep wanting to do more with it than it's designed for, and I end up getting frustrated. It also works a lot better as a VST for me in Cubase than it does in Live. I don't really know why, but the ROI on figuring it out probably wouldn't be worth the time.

Anyway, I think it's truly great for what it is, but I like it and keep wanting to use it so much that I'm frequently reminded of what it isn't.

Chingy

Post by Chingy » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:29 pm

I am thinking about this very thing these days being an existing Maschine Mikro user and a new Live user. I just got a Launchpad and nativeKontrol's LPC, and to be honest, I'm struggling to find a use for Maschine now...LPC lets you do so much with the Launchpad (step sequencing, all recording functions, navigation, etc.). If you really want to be able to load sounds / instruments via the hardware, that seems to be the only thing Maschine has going for it...and velocity sensitive pads (although LPC has a velocity mode which makes it really easy to add some variances). Also, with midiKatapult, you can use the Launchpad pretty nicely with something like Geist or other software (that I was using the Mikro as a controller with previously).

My 2 cents so far.