Any plans for bridging old 32bit plugs?

cotdagoo

Any plans for bridging old 32bit plugs?

Post by cotdagoo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:09 pm

I've got a few VSTs that for whatever reason will not get 64bit updates but are essential to me and my process.

Are there any plans to support 32bit VSTs via wrapper or bridge in the 64bit versions of Live?

cheers

Angstrom

Re: Any plans for bridging old 32bit plugs?

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:11 pm

http://www.ableton.com/articles/can-i-u ... rsion-live

not a direct answer, but perhaps a solution
All 64-bit plug-ins can be used in the 64-bit version. 32-bit plug-ins cannot be used directly in the 64-bit version, but there are third-party tools (such as jBridge) that will allow 32-bit VST plug-ins to be used within the 64-bit version.
http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:13 pm

Yes.. I own jbridge as it was my solution for 64bit plugs until this point. Just wondering if an official "Ableton" solution is in the works at all, or whether we will have to rely on 3rd party developers to make the jump in the future.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:23 pm

This was always going to be an issue. Pretty much every 64 bit DAW provider has the difficulty of trying to bridge bits EG: Logic ... https://logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=83516

I mentioned that this might be a problem for 32 bit plugin users in the giant 64 bit thread, and that all the 64 bit complainants needed to be sure they could actually make the jump with their existing workflow if this day ever came.

I thought this response was telling
TabSel wrote:of course I can.
Cubase has VSTBridge, which doesn't work, so I use jBridge, which works pretty well.
Sonar X1 has its Bitbridge, which works pretty well and also supports jBridge builtin.
Reaper has its Bridge technology, which also works pretty well, I might use jBridge, too.
FL Studio has its Bridging technology, which somehow doesn't work so well with some plugs,
I'd take that reponse as "no DAWs manage bit bridging well", and probably that jBridge is your best option.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:55 pm

Apologies for also posting this question in main forum but...

Apaty from the jBridge beta, are there any another alternatives for Mac?

And if not, Abes: are you not thinking of implementing a bridge?

Add relatedly, 8.4 will be 64 bit but will there be a 32 bit? Or does 8.4 _only_ add 64 bit and no other features/updates?

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:56 pm

Angstrom wrote: I thought this response was telling
Cubase has VSTBridge, which doesn't work, so I use jBridge, which works pretty well.
Sonar X1 has its Bitbridge, which works pretty well and also supports jBridge builtin.
Reaper has its Bridge technology, which also works pretty well, I might use jBridge, too.
FL Studio has its Bridging technology, which somehow doesn't work so well with some plugs,
I'd take that reponse as "no DAWs manage bit bridging well", and probably that jBridge is your best option.
Certainly missed that post, and don't use the other DAWs with bridges to realize how poor the implementation is from host to host.

But still feel it would be nice to have a supported/built in tool to make the changeover a bit easier for the hordes of users that will surely jump on the 64bit bandwagon with only a collection of 32bit VSTs.

It's just going to take a bit of effort to even open a large project I was working on to see if 64bit Live handles things any better ;)

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:36 pm

Only 32bit plugins I use now are Soundtoys native and Eventide Blackhole. Soundtoys are working on 64bit versions of all their plugs. Jbridge worked fine with Soundtoys allowing them to work in Studio One 2 64bit.

rhythmhead

Post by rhythmhead » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:10 pm

Thank guys I didn't know about JBridge. Thankfully they just released a Mac Version! Gonna give it a try in Logic but their bridge has been pretty stable for me so far. I have been playing the waiting game with my UAD plugins, they promised 64bit in 2012, clock is ticking. God i can't wait till we all get over this 64bit hump and i can finally really use this 64bit machine i have had for 3 years now ;)

Early 2009 MacPro Pro, 6 GB RAM, 2 x 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Xeon
Mac OSX Lion 10.6.8
Ableton Live 8.3.2 + Max for Live
UAD Neve Quad
Native Instruments Komplete
Motu Ultralitemk3, Akai APC40

Lumix

Post by Lumix » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:27 pm

Angstrom wrote:This was always going to be an issue. Pretty much every 64 bit DAW provider has the difficulty of trying to bridge bits EG: Logic ... https://logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=83516

I mentioned that this might be a problem for 32 bit plugin users in the giant 64 bit thread, and that all the 64 bit complainants needed to be sure they could actually make the jump with their existing workflow if this day ever came.

I thought this response was telling
the only good working brigde option has Imageline in FL studio - it supports VST3, x64 and its pretty stable as i can tell.

well i hope Ableton will implement it - cos i have a few very old outdated vsts which are still handy and usefull.
The Davile Insaide Teh Mashihne.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:33 pm

Using Jbridge got all my 32bit plugins working in Live 64bit. Every plugin worked for me:)

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:43 pm

XSIMan wrote:Using Jbridge got all my 32bit plugins working in Live 64bit. Every plugin worked for me:)
Same.. :) was just curious if an internal solution was planned.. or maybe Jbridge integration in the future? :D

How much support will be provided with a 3rd party wrapper if something doesn't work right?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:08 am

I'm pretty sure that Ableton will tell us exactly what they plan to do in future for bit-bridging, because that's how they usually ...

ah, no, wait
;)

Gnuus

Post by Gnuus » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:10 am

rhythmhead wrote:Thank guys I didn't know about JBridge. Thankfully they just released a Mac Version!
Didn't know this either....., it's working great!
http://myspace.com/aftronics
Live 10 Intro | iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16 GB Ram | Samaon Graphite 49 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | iPad air | ZOOM TAC-2 | Roland TD11

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:05 am

just tried the Jbridge demo version, it works pretty well.
For about 15€ it is nice for perfectly doing its task

Jrel

Post by Jrel » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:29 pm

Ableton should not be relying on 3rd-party apps. They should either license the technology or develop a solution to allow 32-bit plugins to work like other DAWs have done.