The hand flip when pushing buttons in electronic music...

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
glitchrock-buddha

The hand flip when pushing buttons in electronic music...

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:18 am

Why do people feel the need to flip their hands upside down quickly after pressing a button during an electronic music performance?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bxYmltP ... r_embedded

This is the duck face of live electronic music videos.
Post 'em here. ;)
Professional Shark Jumper.

nathannn

Re: The hand flip when pushing buttons in electronic music...

Post by nathannn » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:11 am

acai1314520 wrote:This video post is actually enormous, the noise feature coach coupon codes and the picture feature of this tape post is actually remarkable.
that's what i was thinking also 8O
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:49 am

why?

1) because electronic artists feel the need to amplify their gesture so as the public not to think they're doing nothing less than "actual" musicians who play "real" instruments on stage...

2) besides, it's a kind of gesture "plus", that seems here to emphatise on the actual link between the gesture (the button press i.e) and the musical event that is triggered.

3) and it's cool... not in a fashion way, even when you're playing alone in your studio... it's still a kind of emphatised gestures that seem to come naturally (tell me any artist that DO NOT MOVE or emphatise its play when on stage or even when at home or in the studio...)

I got no problem with that... I do it all the time.

Do you also have a problem with a guitar player making useless gestures? (headbanging, running here and there, playing while rolling on to the floor?) A singer dancing, or moving his body particularly when he sings this or that part of his show??

There IS a problem in electronic music when this is fake gestures, only here to mimic an actual interaction between the artist (not in this case) and the pre-rendered music....

anyway Nathann, do you play electronic music live?? do you really never do this?? I'm skeptical...

cheers!

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:06 pm

nathannn wrote:
acai1314520 wrote:This video post is actually enormous, the noise feature coach coupon codes and the picture feature of this tape post is actually remarkable.
that's what i was thinking also 8O
Sadly, I just deleted that account. I know, I know - now we'll never know where to get cheap knockoff coach bags or whether acai berries can help us to grow wings.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:29 pm

Master of the hand flip: Jeff Mills
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHCVd2dFlE8

:P

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:14 pm

I demand that all Ableton Live users who perform in the 'button pressing' style should develop ever more weird and exaggerated hand movements.
I think each button press should be coupled with swiftly turning the hand palm up wards and pointing toward the ceiling during the snap-back phase. So a button press, snap back and twist up and point at the ceiling.

A Full marks score requires that the hand reaches at least shoulder height on the up-pointing snap-back.

jbodango

Post by jbodango » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:17 pm

progressive suggestion, but forward thinking/next generation "button pressers" should add an "eleventh" finger.

it's akin to that part in spinal tap where the amps go to eleven.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:57 pm

It makes the music more expressive.

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:46 pm

I realize the Lounge is all sarcasm & tongue-in-cheek, but I need to side w/ supamonsta on this one. I've been doing my fair share of rocking the odd button-controller these days, and as soon as I'm amped up my hands tend to leap from the controller with each button push. This is with no audience in sight, so I'm led to conclude that it's a natural response.

Of course, the wobbles, dub sirens, hoovers, and 808 bass tend to have my pupils rattling around my head so perhaps the hand leaping is just my body rejecting the god-awful music I'm into these days... :cry:
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:14 pm

I usually grab the controller off its stand and slam it repeatedly against my shiny red codpiece while emitting animal screams of pure musical ecstasy. The music is imbued with raw passionate bleeps and bloops.

The neighbours keep telling me to stop, but its my garden, I can do what I like.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:19 pm

It's the combination of "I need to make sure you're pushed" and "at exactly this time".
I agree with Supamonsta, and forced enthusiasm is obvious and desperate looking.
Also, when you're launch quantization is likely to be 1/2 a bar or longer, it's even less impressive.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:57 pm

How are we with complex arpeggiated sounds? Is it cool if we fake play every note when it’s in fact a single note triggering all of it?

:x

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:34 pm

What you do is hold the note down but with the other hand gesture each notes pitch like a robot conductor.
ImageImage

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:40 pm

beats wrote: Is it cool if we fake play every note when it’s in fact a single note triggering all of it?
yes it is, but only if you do it in perfect sync, so as no one can tell, even you, if it's real fake or fake fake. If you manage to fool yourself doing this and actually believe you're playing the arp, then I think it's indeed cool.
And it will involve lots of work... in fact, being able to perfectly mimic something is like being able to do it for real... but then... why not doing it for real? :lol:

funny thoughts

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:45 pm

pete townsend's windmill

a spastic orchestra conductor

a drummer twirling his sticks

jimi burning his guitar with lighter fluid

see what i mean?