Battery 2 Multi-Channels in Live 4.1

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
DividedByDirt

Battery 2 Multi-Channels in Live 4.1

Post by DividedByDirt » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:53 pm

Hi,
I probably sound like a complete amateur as I'm sure my problem is fairly simple to sort.
Basically, I've routed battery 2 (E.G. snare, kick hat, tom...) across various midi channels so I can add different midi effects i.e. velocity, however for the life of me can't work out how to apply audio effects to these same channels.
For example, I've got a nice hat pattern going and would like to add a touch of delay to it, how could I route this just to the hats midi channel without it effecting any other channels?

Cheers,
Jake.

TekMonki

Post by TekMonki » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:56 pm

Battery has an option to route (out) different audio channels. Then it's just a matter of telling Live which channels to receive on which track.

DividedByDirt

Cheers.

Post by DividedByDirt » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:04 pm

Apologies tekmonki,
could you just explain briefly how do this?
I'm not totally familiar with the workings of battery just yet.

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers,
Jake.

TekMonki

Post by TekMonki » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:07 pm

It's been a while, but it's in "setup" or "options" in the Battery interface. One of those buttons over on the right hand side (going from memory). It'll give a pop up where you can config how many outs and such. From there you select a pad/slice/drumhit and then you should see an option down in the lower right where you can say route to output 1/2 or 3/4 or etc.

DividedByDirt

Nice.

Post by DividedByDirt » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:19 pm

Thanks ever so much, you have just sorted my problem. I had already tried this, but had forgotten to monitor so had no idea it was working.
Once again, thanks.

Jake.

TekMonki

Post by TekMonki » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm

np

lizardman

Post by lizardman » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:11 am

Hi,
The battery side of this is clear to me but how do you configure it in Live to have the battery channels routed to their own channels?
Sorry, I'm very new to Live and haven'T an idea how this all works so I got a few questions about this ...
Is it possible to use only one Battery instance on several tracks in Live?
And is it possible to have the drum note display (like with the Impulse) with Battery instead of the piano roll?

willum

Post by willum » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:37 pm

When you insert a multi-out VSTi, Live should "see" the outputs, hence they will be available for routing to audio tracks. So once you've inserted Battery, assign the pads to the desired outputs, insert new Live audio tracks and set the routing for each to a Battery output.

lizardman

Post by lizardman » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:09 am

Thanks for the info! Have found out that it works by dedicating one track for the instrument.

Is it possible to switch to the drum editor for such drum tracks, instead using the piano roll or is the drum editor only available when using Impulse (wouldn't make much sense IMHO but you never know)?

supster

Post by supster » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:40 am

lizardman wrote:Thanks for the info! Have found out that it works by dedicating one track for the instrument.

Is it possible to switch to the drum editor for such drum tracks, instead using the piano roll or is the drum editor only available when using Impulse (wouldn't make much sense IMHO but you never know)?
it would be nice, but no

I route it like this:

- Put B2 in a MIDI channel

- Kit setup: plan it so the top row of pads in Battery starts with C1 - then each pad in that row triggers with the next chromatic note up. So octave C1 is your first row

This row is for Kicks and Snares.

So make your first few pads in that row kicks. Set them to mono channel 17. Set your Snares to 18 or stereo 3/4 or whatever makes sense to you

Next row down, hihats and shakers. Start with C2 .. set thes to out 5/6

Next row, hi accents (woodblocks, clicky sounds) .. start with C3 .. stereo 7/8

go down that way and make a row for congas (mid accents) one for toms (lo accents) ..one for special effects

- Now make an audio channel for each instrument. ie Kicks gets an audio channel - Snare gets one - Hi Accents - Congas etc etc all get thier own audio channel

- Then .. for each one of these, make a MIDI channel

Route the audio from each MIDI channel to its correspoding audio channel.

And route the MIDI from each MIDI of these channels to Battery 2's MIDI channel

Now - to do your Kick pattern, know that your kicks will always start at C1. Snares will trigger a few notes up D1 or E1. But they still get thier own dedicated MIDI channel

Hihats and shakers and rides will trigger starting on C2 ... etc etc

it sounds a bit complex, but you get amazing flexibility, you always know where your samples are in the kit ...

... my routing uses even more subgroups, and I have a dedicated template for this .. I record the whole rythm sections seperate from the main audio project ... then swap back and forth between them
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com