Dual core vs. quad core - how will I notice the difference?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
digid

Dual core vs. quad core - how will I notice the difference?

Post by digid » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:58 pm

Ok, I *know* I will probably notice the difference somehow, but how will it be obvious in terms of music making? Will I notice it in Ableton Live (more plug-ins?)? Will I notice it if I run several applications at once? etc.

The reason I ask, is that I want to upgrade from my two year old MacBook Pro.

I am considering the 13" MBP with 2.9GHz (dual core), or the 15" 2.3GHz MBP (quad core). I really like the smaller form factor and weight of the 13", but, of course, I have seen the Geekbench benchmarks for the 15" (about 11.000, vs. the 8.000 of the 13" MBP).

There is also a price difference - 13" is quite a bit cheaper. I already have a very nice Crucial M4 SSD, which will be transferred from my old Mac to the new Mac, so that will take care of disk speeds.

Any input?
Listen to my lovely electroacoustics on Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/digidada

scrondle

Re: Dual core vs. quad core - how will I notice the difference?

Post by scrondle » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:19 am

You'll be able to use more cpu-intensive instruments and/or effects.

If you like to load huge projects with many instruments/effects, you'd be wise to get the quad, but the 13" is still very powerful.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:22 am

quad core is blazing fast, specially with snow leopard running Ableton.
Handles my crazy large sets with multiple VST's and native instruments and FX very easily.

13" will choke for me.

I bought a refurbished one.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:48 am

In looking the Live 8 perfomance thread, almost seems like the architecture of the iMac, Mac Pro, and 15" Macbooks make more of a difference than processor details.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:09 am

everything will run a little better. mostly you'll be able to run more stuff at once.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:02 am

digid wrote:Ok, I *know* I will probably notice the difference somehow, but how will it be obvious in terms of music making? Will I notice it in Ableton Live (more plug-ins?)? Will I notice it if I run several applications at once? etc.

The reason I ask, is that I want to upgrade from my two year old MacBook Pro.

I am considering the 13" MBP with 2.9GHz (dual core), or the 15" 2.3GHz MBP (quad core). I really like the smaller form factor and weight of the 13", but, of course, I have seen the Geekbench benchmarks for the 15" (about 11.000, vs. the 8.000 of the 13" MBP).

There is also a price difference - 13" is quite a bit cheaper. I already have a very nice Crucial M4 SSD, which will be transferred from my old Mac to the new Mac, so that will take care of disk speeds.

Any input?
Faced same dilemma a month ago. Decided for 15` and sort of regret it. Farewell portability, in all aspects not just that it is too heavy to "not to leave home without" as it was case with my 13`. Even at home, studio it is sort of bulky, not so nice to handle. Bigger screen? There is no notebook to match decent external monitor so no difference really since I use external for any serious work. Great notebook, but must confess I am disappointed.
Some computer expert can explain it properly but for some stuff the dual in turbo mode can be actually faster, I dont remember what test it was exactly but was surprised to see that the 2.9 13`performed better then 15`.
Naturally I am pleased with rendering speed, specially compared to my previous MBP (2010) but will probably sell this one as soon as there appears retina 13`.
Examine you priorities, if you care about portability forget 15`. My advice wait a bit (might be just September) for 13`update. I did not go for that2.9 13`for 2 reasons - obsolete resolution of 1280 and absence of real graphic card. The next release might fix it.

digid

Post by digid » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:43 am

Very nice to hear from someone who has one of the machines in question, rikhyray!

And you make some excellent points. I've noticed that I never bring along my old MBP 15" anywhere because of its size, and when I use it at home, I use it with a 24" screen. Screen estate is a non-issue in that sense. Thanks for your input!
Listen to my lovely electroacoustics on Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/digidada

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:33 pm

I miss having MBP with me at all times. Sometimes could be a good idea or solution and then just sit anywhere and execute it right away. Of course I am making notes on iPhone all the time (listening to my mixes walking, riding shopping etc) but it is not the same, doing it later. Never know when inspiration strikes. Of course nowadays I carry at least iPad but that is nothing, I dont care for some toy, crippled pseudo DAWs. Nanostudio is great for sure, have it and will probably never use it. No graphics and unsatisfactory resolution, yet, after a month of real life use, 13`would have been better choice for me.