Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rod Underleaf

Re: Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge

Post by Rod Underleaf » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:29 am

Mod Edit: let’s please keep posts here to actual tidbits of Live knowledge.

FurkanTopal

Post by FurkanTopal » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:19 am

When you hold option/alt and click rescan, it scans your whole hard drive, not only the selected folders below.

NIELS ON

Post by NIELS ON » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:44 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:28 pm
TheWholeDamnZoo wrote:This is probably common knowledge to most here, but it took me forever to figure it out so I'm posting it in case anyone here is like me...

To record automation without deleting a clip's contents (and without needing to record from session view to arrangement view) - un-arm the track you want to record the automation into and then hit the record button.
Actually a very insightful aspect of overdubbing, that is easily overlooked. I didn't remember it now, so had to check. Great one!

I have an addition to this one. You are also able to unarm a selected track even with a Push connected. If you want to record automations without affecting any existing MIDI clips or without creating new clips, simply select the "Session" button on the Push (above the Octave buttons) and you will be able to unarm / and arm completely independent from the selected track.
Push will only Auto-Arm if the "Note" Layout is selected, not when "Session" is selected.

I saw recently a YouTuber who was exited about his workaround, which is pretty unnecessary because all you need is to press Session" on your Push.
He created a blank midi track he can ARM with CMD click while the track selection remains on the track with the devices he wanted to record automations, the comment section showed that there are many Push users not knowing about this behavior, nobody seemed to know that there is no workaround needed, so even if its not obscure knowledge, its not as known as it should be.

Btw. to just protect your midi notes while recording automations it is enough to enable the plus (MIDI Arrangement Overdub) you don't need to unarm.
But it doesn't look beautiful because you will have a lot small new clips when you record automations for multiple individual parts in different takes and this can also destroy a single note here and there, so unarm is recommended anyway for automation only recordings.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:56 am

I am he who is that which is, and there is no other.

but besides that-- using Utility on a track as the last effect in a chain allows you to map level control separately from the mixer view's fader. This also allows you to mono-ify tracks if that is desirable, and deactivating it with a mapped button push allows you to pop faded tracks back in qne out of audible existence.

Your friend,
Utenzil
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:20 pm

To add new sub-tags to the Live 12 browser, such as

Drums ▼
- Snare
└ Rim
└ Side Stick
└ Snare Articulation
└ Snare Hit

Click the "+ Add tag ..." and type the name of the parent category then a pipe symbol "|" then the name of your new category.

and type "Snare | Side Stick"

This will generate a new tag sub-category underneath an existing factory category

Only one level of nesting is allowed. So three levels deep such as "Snare | Side Stick | Click" is not allowed