Effects on single notes

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
DJGreedy

Effects on single notes

Post by DJGreedy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:51 am

Hi all! First post on this website. Anyways, just wondering if I could place a single audio effect on an individual note within a clip/loop in ableton 8 and not have it affect my entire loop? Thanks ----Kurt

ian_halsall

Re: Effects on single notes

Post by ian_halsall » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:58 am

if it's midi then you can just duplicate the track and edit both midi parts and remove all notes except 1 from 1 track and do the opposite on the other

add the effect to the track with just 1 note

if it's audio you will have to try and isolate the note in the audio editor and then copy that out into another audio track and add the effect there.

it's most likey going to sound horrible though unless there's silence around it - you will get crackles and clicks and bits of other notes.

good luck

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:48 am

put your effect on a return track and use a clip envelope, or automation, to control the send level so that only that note is sent to the effect.

of course if there is more than one note sounding at the same time then they will all be effected.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

DJGreedy

Post by DJGreedy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:03 pm

Thank you!! More than I hoped for :)

murcalumis

Post by murcalumis » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:55 pm

3 editions and years late, but if you have Push2...hold the note in note view layout (sequencer so you can see the note in question to hold it), while pressed change the effect if they are already there (usually reverb and delay are there at minimum, but you could add fx too)

airportpeople

Post by airportpeople » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:07 pm

Also a bunch of editions and years late, but if you're trying to have different effects for percussive sounds, you can make a new drum rack, add in the same instrument across different notes, and adjust the chain (I-O) settings so that Receive and Play are as you like. Then, individual notes will have their own place for different effects.