What is your main 'view' ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

What is your main working space?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:14 am

Session view
45%
Arrangement view
31%
None; I bounce my results to another sequencer (/DAW)
No votes
Session view to make up the Arrangement (view)
14%
You smell funny...
10%

Total votes: 29

3dot...

Re: What is your main 'view' ?

Post by 3dot... » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:29 pm

session.. definitly..
if I were to pick between arrangers Live would not be my first choice..
right now... session view is what's floating the Ableton boat..
aside from that the advantages of using Live are next to none...

chrissobo13

Post by chrissobo13 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:41 pm

3dot... wrote:session.. definitly..
if I were to pick between arrangers Live would not be my first choice..
right now... session view is what's floating the Ableton boat..
I agree with that, its really convenient to go from arrangement to session view. If I had a mac I'd probably be on logic. But I use arrangement to write new stuff, and I use session to experiment and work on live performance issues.

timday

Post by timday » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:06 pm

Arrange for arranging, session for performing.

What I like about arrange is that it is fast. Logic or Sonar have more MIDI capabilities but I think Ableton's workflow is faster than either (haven't really used Cubase so can't comment). I appreciate YMMV on this but if I'm writing a tune it's really important to me that the software is transparent, that is that it puts as little as possible between me and the actual writing.

Oh yes, and Drum Racks. Wouldn't use anything else for my drums now.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:39 pm

funken wrote:
3dot... wrote:
What about groups, racks, warping, loops auditioning in the browser at the right tempo, hot swap?

To answer the question, Session is my main View. I use it even more now I got a Launchpad. I have global effects and two tracks for fills and crashes etc in Arrange and the rest in Session. You can finish a song there. But you retain a flexibility Arrange doesn't give on it's own.
session view is a big part of live..
the hot-swapping is available in most other DAWs ...auditioning loops quantized to the clock is not a thing I need really...
groups are more developed in other DAWs and racks also not unique to Live..

the only things right now unique to Live are ...session view (with it's relation to arrangement view)... and the m4l api ...
alls I'm saying is that the arranger in live is 'under-developed' comparing to others..
it's really simple to record your session shenanigans to arrangement..
but real cumbersome for anything more than simple editing tasks...

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:43 pm

reaper pro tools logic ...fruity loops.... vegas...
NI Kore can be used as racks in many hosts... and there are other "rack" vst hosts..like Usine...

racks and grouping are simply routing and mixer options presented in a graphically minimized way...

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:52 pm

i was always in session, but with a new way of working, more recording and working full tracks at once, ive been 95% in arrange

session is awesome though, so much fun, and quick to go in there and start mashing stuff together

merges

Post by merges » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:28 pm

3dot... wrote:alls I'm saying is that the arranger in live is 'under-developed' comparing to others..
it's really simple to record your session shenanigans to arrangement..
but real cumbersome for anything more than simple editing tasks...
Agreed about Live's arrangement workflow being limited compared to "the others guys." But, in addition to session view and the definite usability perks of racks, I personally think that Ableton have done the best at building in the concrete nuts and bolts of UI. Generally speaking, option-dragging, pressing Escape, using the arrow keys, etc. etc. do what I want, and that, along with consistent use of UI widgetry, are priceless usability enhancements. Even with great attention to Logic over many years, Apple has only barely managed to move it out of the bucket of software that makes you learn its own, highly idiomatic language.

Live is the most musical DAW I've seen, even though it doesn't have the same flexibility in terms of engineering that others have. But, there's still time for Live 9, and time for others to try to get more musical. :D

/IMHO

P.S. I use arrangement because I tend to work on "full tracks."

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:49 pm

I work mainly in arrangement, with Session as my scratchpad.
However the reason I don't arrange in another more powerful DAW is because I need the non linearity of the session to try ideas out. No other daw has this.
I've tried switching and the lack of non linearity in the creation phase always brings me back. The Live arrangement is very limited and the tools are very weirdly implemented, often left seemingly half finished - but I need that scratch pad . So I'm stuck with it.