KRK Rokit RP8 G2 vs Yamaha HS80M What i should use in studio

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
barezi6

KRK Rokit RP8 G2 vs Yamaha HS80M What i should use in studio

Post by barezi6 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi everyone.

i am new from music production, and i will buy the monitors to my studio, i want to produce house,dance,progressive, dubstep, (electronic music).

the monitors will stay in a room that is not too small or too large, is a normal room.

I dont know really what is really important in the speakers, i know about the low,end,mid frequencies etc, but others aspects about the caractheristics of the colum or other thing i really dont know.

If anyone can give me some help to choose my monitors, will be great, it is really a very important decision for me.

Thanks community

darkenedsoul

Re: KRK Rokit RP8 G2 vs Yamaha HS80M What i should use in studio

Post by darkenedsoul » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:23 pm

Looks like price-wise the Yamaha's are about $350 PER monitor = ~$700/pair. They are also 120w powered.

KRK makes some decent gear and like the fact they have 3 input types (RCA, 1/4" balanced/unbalanced) or XLR and not sure on total watts.

But you are also forgetting M-Audio BX8a (D2 deluxe model newest) 130w powered studio reference monitors as well. And they go for $499 for a pair. I scooped my older ones for $350 on a managers special at local (now defunct) Daddy's Junky Music stores.

I listen to metal/blues/extreme metal/ambient music on them as they're my DAW (Live) speakers and I am sharing them between 2 desktops (1 via 1/4" II cables via MOTU 828Mk and other via 1/8" to XLR Male connectors from main pc's mobo connector and works well enough. They are also right at ear level when seated in chair in front of my studio desk (gotten from Guitar Center - nice one too for 5' long and can rack gear in center area).

So you have a 3rd option. IMHO all three are worthy opponents. Depends on how much you want to spend, how much power you want, how many inputs you want, and brand recognition if you care.
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

Fat_Stanley

Post by Fat_Stanley » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:55 pm

I went undertook a very similar decision recently and went with the Yamahas. I'd really recommend searching for threads about these speakers over on gearslutz.com - you'll find absolutely loads of opinions and recommendations.

It'd also be wise, if possible, to get yourself to a retailer where you can hear each model playing some reference material relevant to your musical preferences, so that you can hear which speakers are best suited to your ears.

barezi6

Post by barezi6 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:13 pm

Fat_Stanley wrote:I went undertook a very similar decision recently and went with the Yamahas. I'd really recommend searching for threads about these speakers over on gearslutz.com - you'll find absolutely loads of opinions and recommendations.

It'd also be wise, if possible, to get yourself to a retailer where you can hear each model playing some reference material relevant to your musical preferences, so that you can hear which speakers are best suited to your ears.

Yeh i am searching a lot see reviews etc about both of monitors and now i will go to Yamaha HS80m it seems very nice monitors to produce,mix etc. the reviews of mids and lows tells that it is great on yamaha hs80m. For me accoustics is very important and yamaha seems very nice for it.