Seen the front page? Live 9 is here :o

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
puzzlefactory

Re: Seen the front page? Live 9 is here :o

Post by puzzlefactory » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:05 pm

Sarrova-Q wrote:Agreed, the price is questionable (a bit less would be a lot more friendly) but people being upset for needing to pay for an upgrade I just don't understand ......

Live 9 took a lot of work, and people who work like to get paid - I suppose everyone likes that no?
So paying something for an upgrade is only fair, altough you're right it's maybe a bit too much right now (especially for the PUSH combo like Matt mentioned).

Yeah the push combo is what i'm most interested in. I'm a bit unsatisfied with Maschine and am very tempted to switch to Push (especially as i mostly use Maschine as a pluggin anyway). But the upgrade price for me for that is £602 (¢749) including Suite 9. That's quite a serious dent in my wallet... (i suppose selling Maschine might help ;))

One thing i would like to know (and will probably be the deal breaker for me switching from Maschine to Push) is how easy it is to browse patches and instruments and pluggins from third parties in both Live and Push. From the video's, it looks very easy to browse stuff from the Live 9 library but i mostly use my own sounds from Massive and Razor etc etc, i would like to be able to browse these patches from the Push controller.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:06 pm

so it costs less for me to upgrade from live 4 to live 9 suite than from live 8 suite to live 9 suite? uh no thanks ableton, get that one sorted.

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:06 pm

I'm actually quite impressed there are no Live 10 threads yet...
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

merges

Post by merges » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:14 pm

Just a note to Ableton to say thanks for working on Live 9. :)

h3rtz

Post by h3rtz » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:16 pm

Matt_Quinn wrote:So how much will it be to upgrade to Suite 9 and get the Push? I have Suite 8.

Also, prepare for a god damn blizzard of APC40s to hit the for sale board.

I don't think so. push is attacking maschine, not replacing the apc40.

sad thing - i just got suite 4 moths ago. guess there won't be a grace period til spring 2013... naaarghh!

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:21 pm

Did anyone else think "Uh... Is there still an Arrangement View in Live 9?" after going through the info?

All in all, Live 9 seems like an upgrade to keep current users on board. If I were a new user and saw the "session view automation" feature, I'd probably be underwhelmed (what is a session view automation anyway, right?)

Max for Live integrated is huge.
Push looks ridiculously awesome. I can't help but wonder, though, what the price would be if they'd gone to Novation instead...

Buuuuut... What about Arrangement view? Any changes at all? And what about dual monitor support? He's sitting there, with two monitors, FFS! One empty, one with Live. Hell-o-ooooh?

I'm still really excited, though.

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:22 pm

Yeah, after watching more Push videos, not entirely sure I'm going to need it. I'm not into step sequencing so much, and I like the APC's 4x4 knob layout for rack control better than the 8 in line on the Push. Although it would be super nice using those knobs for track volume control, no more mismatch between what you see on screen & where the physical faders are. And I guess it can be a clip launcher, which is great. I wonder if the pad colors will be able to reflect the colors of the clips they represent, that would be super slick.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

Sarrova-Q

Post by Sarrova-Q » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:25 pm

sporkles wrote:Did anyone else think "Uh... Is there still an Arrangement View in Live 9?" after going through the info?

Push looks ridiculously awesome. I can't help but wonder, though, what the price would be if they'd gone to Novation instead...
Arrangement view is still there, watch the vids!
They're talking about automation in clips also being available directly when you drag to arrangement and so on ...

I'm VERY happy they didn't go to Novation instead.
Ever compared Novations rotary encoders of the SL series to the APC40's? Well I did and there just is NO comparison.
Akai feels professional, rugged, trustable - Novation feels plastic, flimsy and too low quality ... (mind you, I'm talking about the encoders - the other Novation knobs feel okay, faders is again less great)

owensands

Post by owensands » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:28 pm

Rotter3 wrote:Bitwig - where is your God now??
bitwig still looks better on paper then this sorry.

Where is all the bug fixes like automation timing?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:30 pm

owensands wrote:
Rotter3 wrote:Bitwig - where is your God now??
bitwig still looks better on paper then this sorry.

Where is all the bug fixes like automation timing?
tell me your experience with BitWig's automation timing. I'm curious how much better it is.

subsynth

Post by subsynth » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:39 pm

This issue for me isn't paying to upgrade, I expected that. But I've apparantly gotten the highest quote so far at 399 USD.

I had live 8 and then I updated to suite last year or so when they ran the 33% off sale, looks like they took those "savings" and tacked them on to my updrade to 9 price.

I'd be willing to be 200 - 300 for the upgrade, but 400 seems like I'm buying the software all over again.

Broomptish

Post by Broomptish » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:40 pm

Read the whole thread and been through the site loads of times and still dont understand. LOL Im being quoted 412 euros for upgrade to suite 8 and free upgrade to suite 9 when it comes out, im logged in and I already have suite 8 and everything with it inc maxforlive, do I get it free or not??? :?

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:48 pm

joewalch wrote:No ability to separate arrangement and session view and no mention of 64 bit support (if there was support they would say!). The controller price point is too high as well (although that will drop). Quite disappointing.

https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/live-9-faqs/ wrote:Why is the feature I wished for not included in Live 9?
We decided to focus on some of the most often wished features in Live 9, such as Session Automation recording, Automation curves, 64-bit support and a better MIDI editor. Some other features couldn't be implemented at this point, but rest assured, we keep track of them in our internal wishlist.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

Labalaia

Post by Labalaia » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:48 pm

3 Years for that...........audio to midi, couple of new plugs, a controller umm..automation curves in clips..new browser....3 Years???

don´t know..i was very happy for a moment...but after thinking about it and beeing frustated by the upgrade pricing...and beeing frustrated by waiting since 3 years..and..mmmhh.. actually i´m not happy no anymore

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:48 pm

Sarrova-Q wrote:Of course you need to pay! The free upgrade is only there so that new users don't have to wait several months to buy Live software.
Otherwise they would pay now for Live 8 and be very upset when they'll need to pay again for the upgrade.

If you already own Live 8 for - let's say - a couple of years (like I do) it's only normal to pay for an upgrade imho.
tbh, considering the clusterfuck that was L8, previous suite owners should get a free update.