Loop mode for not warped clips and automation

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
lalo

Loop mode for not warped clips and automation

Post by lalo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:21 am

Loop mode for non warped clips.
Start and end point automation for warped and not warped clips

ian_halsall

Re: Loop mode for not warped clips and automation

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:55 am

Can't you this with Simpler?

Export your audio from the warp as a file and drag it into a Simpler or drag it into a clip and then slice it???

lalo

Post by lalo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:07 am

did you try it to do it in a live improvised session on stage? is it called Live or not? :)
If i am at home composing tracks there is no problem. If i want to quick record stuff while i am improvising in alive session and i want that material to be looped without a precise tempo/meter this would be the only solution ( well i did a M4L looper for this but i cant havethat material displayed in the clip seesion paradigm ).

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:12 am

That's true - it's not quick.

I think if you want it in automation you will be waiting for Live 10 - if ever...

lalo

Post by lalo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:23 am

it seems to me more and more that i have to adbandon the live boat ...and i am sad given the amount of money i've invested hoping for a reliable and complete and flexible live improvisation enviroment.
The only solutions seems to me Usine ( but i would miss the Max MSP interaction ), or move to ppooll or try to build something in MaxMSP that really fit my needs.
So i can say that given what we know now Live 9 is a good move for studio geeks and djs but not for improvisors ( well i guess we are a very few among the Live user base ). I'll think if spend the money to upgrade my Live Suite 8 hoping for future things in Live 9.x or 10 or sadly just adbandon the boat.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:46 am

I think M4l is the only way.

I started doing some stuff with m4l that was going to do something similar to what you are looking for and I got so far and then I went back to being a studio geek.

It was taking ALL of my time and I wasn't making any music - just computer programming in a backward language.

I am a computer programmer by day and I don't want to do it in my 'spare' time as well...

lalo

Post by lalo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:42 am

i understand you.
but music is my main job.
my income is made up with live concerts, recording sessions etc.
What i need is a truly flexible improvising engine.
Ableton Live is very close to it but miss some fundamental features to be a seriuos improvising machine.
As it is now is mainly to play some pre-made clips re-arrange the timeline on the fly, tweak some effect and play some instruments.
Mainly a live dj tool.
Not an improvising machine.
It's a great piece of software but i'm realizing that does not fit completely my needs.
I guess i rapresent a very little market section.
So i understand why Ableton is not open for my kind of feature request.

I wish more integration with M4L, more flexible clip managing and automation, more flexible midi learn editing, OSC learn, automatable pre/post switch for send levels, loop and start and stop and playing direction for clips ( warped and unwarped ), etc. etc.

I guess they won't never come :-(

bigboz

Post by bigboz » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:43 pm

I made the same request a few days ago :

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=186194

I'm using Ableton for live gigs too (guitar/fiddle/keys).
It's unbelievable that Ableton didn't implement this years ago.

You're right in saying that Live is a bit of a misnomer - there isn't much attention to people using instruments to play live gigs.The updates in 9 aren't much good for live musicians.

There's a bit of a gap in the market unless Ableton get it together,and I'm thinking that more people will be using computers for gigging in the near-ish future.

If all clips were like LOOPER,or even if LOOPER was properly integrated,it would be a huge improvement.
(I nearly said "bonus" - but really something callin itself "LIVE" should have these as standard).

There's another product that could mesh beautifully with Ableton if it was developed further - LoopyHd for iPad.

The guy who wrote the app mentioned briefly that it would be nice to do a VST version.

I know nothing about programming or porting - but if LoopyHd could be used to control Ableton it would be a huge improvement.

It has the functions (or mostly) for live looping that Ableton lacks :

*Great GUI (obviously touch control) with 12 illuminated "discs" which have a bright cursor to tell you where you are in the loop.

*Set loop length before you start or as you go (X2..X4...X8 (or divide by2 etc).

*Dial backward on a loop to adjust volume

*Dial forward and tap once for either delete or re-record or cancel

*One touch mute,touch again to come in when the start comes around (without having a confusing global quantization)

*Overdub

*Touch an empty loop and it will begin to record NEXT TIME ROUND (gives you time to hit the ground running) and it will automatically close the loop or overdub.

*Drag any loop/s onto any others to create layers and free up an empty loop

*Set screen to pulse brighter on the beat

*Full midi support for pedals (and bluetooth)

It's a pity that something like this doesn't already exist to interface with Ableton.

The drawback with using it solely as an iPad app is you dont have the computing power,and can't run your existing VSTis unless you re-route from a DAW.Also,once the loops are in Loopy you can't route them individually through effects (that's coming though).

Linking it with Ableton would be ideal - as you could use Ableton's SCENES and processing capabilities.

It would be a game changer to have such an intuitive GUI and controls linked to Ableton.
Where are all the smart functions that would make live looping less techy?
The ideas are out there - hopefully someone with programming knowledge will join the dots!

ALL THIS NEEDS is for someone to realise the potential and make it hook up with Ableton!!!

BTW - I have no connection with this app,apart from I bought it.
I also have Lemur up and running,but for looping it comes nowhere near LoopyHd.

FWIW - I'm using an APC40,Softstep,iPad,Novation Impulse - and that's before I even pick up an instrument :?