Bouncing Virus TI to Audio

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
trance4life

Bouncing Virus TI to Audio

Post by trance4life » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:46 pm

I am wondering what other producers thoughts are on this. I feel as if I lose the actual quality of the synth patches when I bounce my Virus TI to audio. The patches just dont sound like they have the same power and beauty as when they come straight from the synth itself. Any thought :?: s or suggestions :?:
LIVE 8 on PC W/ Windows 7, 8GB Ram, Motu Track 16 Audio Interface, Virus TI Desktop, Akai MPK49, Several Soft Synths and many other VST goodies!

JMFOne

Re: Bouncing Virus TI to Audio

Post by JMFOne » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:27 pm

Yeah totally agree. I miss being able to alter the automation in arrange view too.
15" Apple Macbook Pro, mid 2012, 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD, Ableton Live 9.2, Virus TI Polar

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:37 pm

I don't know. I record all knob movements live to audio, no automation. I don't understand how automation works. I also don't use the TI part of the Virus TI, again...too confusing. I'm all midi with the Virus and Live's External Instrument
Ableton | Elektron

Music

JMFOne

Post by JMFOne » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:29 pm

djadonis206 wrote:I don't know. I record all knob movements live to audio, no automation. I don't understand how automation works. I also don't use the TI part of the Virus TI, again...too confusing. I'm all midi with the Virus and Live's External Instrument
How are you using the external instrument?

Automating is not easy but I've found the 3 best ways to do it:

1.) Go to remote section and assign some parameters you want to automate to the quick knobs on the easy page-from there you will see them in the ableton automation envelopes.

2.) Put Virus in a drum rack and assign parameters to the macro knobs (my prefered option)

3.) Go to matrix section and assign parameters to mod wheel etc-the easiest method but most limiting.
15" Apple Macbook Pro, mid 2012, 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD, Ableton Live 9.2, Virus TI Polar

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:42 am

Hi fellow Virus users.

I use Ext Instrument on 3 midi tracks and have the Virus Ti on a 4th midi track.

My input/output configuration on Virus is 3 outs/ 1 input, with each virus sound going out to it's own usb channel. ie Channel 1 goes to usb 1 L&R, channel 2 to usb 2 L&R, channel 3 to usb 3 L&R.
You could break this down even further by only using usb L or R, but 3 outputs is plenty for me at one time.

This gives me three tracks only,( + 1 input ) but I feel this is quite enough to work with, as it also doesn't push the Ti out of it's cpu range. If I want more sound from Virus, I just record audio out into session clips, or in arrangement, then move ahead.

This method allows you to use Live's or 3rd party processing/FX on each separate ti sound/track etc in real time.

The audio from the 3 Ext Instrument tracks go to their own audio track, so it's quick to record audio clips in session view with any automation & fx.

Automation can be programmed easily on the Virus Ti track (the 4th midi track ) in midi clips for all 3 channels or alternatively be recorded in arrangement view. Record automation in session view, Live 9, will be a great feature upgrade.

Recording out to audio,.... mostly it is fine, but on occasions, I do notice a slight change in recorded sound. This, i think, has more to do with Live, that the Virus, as I find it happens sometimes with Vsts as well. I could be wrong, but this is my experience.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:47 am

JMFOne wrote:
djadonis206 wrote:I don't know. I record all knob movements live to audio, no automation. I don't understand how automation works. I also don't use the TI part of the Virus TI, again...too confusing. I'm all midi with the Virus and Live's External Instrument
How are you using the external instrument?

Automating is not easy but I've found the 3 best ways to do it:

1.) Go to remote section and assign some parameters you want to automate to the quick knobs on the easy page-from there you will see them in the ableton automation envelopes.

2.) Put Virus in a drum rack and assign parameters to the macro knobs (my prefered option)

3.) Go to matrix section and assign parameters to mod wheel etc-the easiest method but most limiting.
Thanks, I tried my hand at the Virus again today and uploaded a new track to my sound cloud
Ableton | Elektron

Music

trance4life

Post by trance4life » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:26 am

Cool...thanks for the replies. I actually have the TI Desktop. I bought it not knowing that I really did not need all of the channels it provides. Not complaining though because i love it. Automation wise I love it too. With the TI as a audio track and setting up midi tracks to feed from the TI is the best route for me. Then when I need to automate something I just click on that part of the Virus and it shows up right under the main TI Audio track for that channel and patch. I normally lay out the whole midi portion for the track and then bounce that. I like the filters in the Virus as opposed to using any of the EQ or Filters from Live.
LIVE 8 on PC W/ Windows 7, 8GB Ram, Motu Track 16 Audio Interface, Virus TI Desktop, Akai MPK49, Several Soft Synths and many other VST goodies!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:51 am

That's how I always did it too, I just recorded the audio outs from the TI as I played and tweaked in real time. The TI part of the synth I only really used for librarian duties.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:11 am

trance4life wrote:I feel as if I lose the actual quality of the synth patches when I bounce my Virus TI to audio.
Placebo

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:30 am

pencilrocket wrote: Placebo

please elucidate?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:09 pm

I'd actually like to hear thoughts on the original post. I have noticed the same thing on my Virus (an old KC). Not a problem with automation, but with sound quality. It sounds very dead and clouded when it's been recorded in.

I use an Edirol FA 101 sound card, balanced cables. So as far as I know the sound should be clear and good.

Messing with the levels ( gain on the Virus, recording sensitivity on the soundcard) makes no difference.

h4nc0

Post by h4nc0 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:38 pm

I think timing is also an issue when using Ti mode. It's just whack.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:44 pm

After 40 years of working with various analog and digital recorders all I will say is that nothing sounds the same after recording when compared to the "live" sound. Nothing.

When A-B comparing two sounds they must be at precisely the same volume level (no compressors, EQs and other FX on the track!). Otherwise our brains almost always prefer the louder of the two.

When I still owned my Snow, I used it in Live the same way Sibanger does.

DJTIVA

Post by DJTIVA » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:48 pm

I am also using the Virus set up as Sibanger described it. There are no problems using it this way and automation works well.
The problem with the recorded not sounding the same as when streaming directly out of the synth seems to be with all machines.
I have this feeling with all of my hardware snynths but in the end when volumes are set newly things match up again.