Making beats with Push

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

Making beats with Push

Post by sporkles » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:21 pm

http://youtu.be/1xxWdvotAlo

I'm not quite sold. It's probably going to be awesome if you're really into step sequencing and pad-banging a la MPC, but it's really not for me.

agent314

Re: Making beats with Push

Post by agent314 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:38 pm

Man, that looks so friggin' sweet

I want it nooooowwwwwwww

agent314

Post by agent314 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:39 pm

I'm not quite sold. It's probably going to be awesome if you're really into step sequencing and pad-banging a la MPC, but it's really not for me.
Out of curiosity, what would it take to make it for you? Like, what features are missing that would take it from dealbreaker to dealmaker?

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:56 pm

That's a tough question. I guess I'm just not one of those people who need to pretend they're not making music on a computer. Besides; that thing is not going to be cheap. I've spent so much money on controllers by now that it's time to simply calm down. I do have my eyes on a QuNeo, though. Sooner or later, I WILL get one.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:10 pm

i'm with you sporkles...i love the idea of push, and especially the step sequencer. but i feel, my workflow is efficient enough (for me) to not have to spend all that money on the push. im comfortable. also those pads seem really small, and too close together to be bangin' out some beats....i need some room. i think that little drum pad area, is not going to be enough for some people to get rid of their mpd's or maschines. in my eyes, that would be the only reason to buy push, to consolidate some controllers. all that being said, if i had the disposable income, i would probably snatch one of those up. but its not going to kill me, to not have it.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

Goseba

Post by Goseba » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:20 pm

No idea if this has been asked elsewhere, but will the stepsequencer work on a Launchpad does anyone know?

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Goseba wrote:No idea if this has been asked elsewhere, but will the stepsequencer work on a Launchpad does anyone know?
oh i was just referring to the step sequencer on push, which i believe, just represents the step sequencer that is already in live...i don't own a launchpad, but i believe there is a way to turn it into a step sequencer.

Goseba

Post by Goseba » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:16 pm

eddiex wrote:
Goseba wrote:No idea if this has been asked elsewhere, but will the stepsequencer work on a Launchpad does anyone know?
oh i was just referring to the step sequencer on push, which i believe, just represents the step sequencer that is already in live...i don't own a launchpad, but i believe there is a way to turn it into a step sequencer.
If it's an existing m4l stepsequencer than I look forward to getting my L9 upgrade with m4l.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:49 pm

i don't think you are understanding. you already have a step sequencer in live as is, it has nothing to do with M4L or live 9. its called "midi editor" or (piano roll) when you click a midi clip, the grid that comes up, is live's "step sequencer" what push or launchpad does is represents that grid with the pads there on the controller. its nothing fancy that live 9 or max for live does...you already have that capability. now i am not sure whether or not you have to program launchpad to act as a step sequencer. but that has more to do with the launchpad than it does with live.

Goseba

Post by Goseba » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:59 pm

I'll investigate further when I get a chance. I already have a lot of ideas I want to try out when time allows.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:17 pm

with m4l the launchpad already has a couple of step sequencers. I'm more interested in how dials on push can move notes around, and the fill function, and the set clip length. either they're api stuff which should be hackable or provided with max. or its magic.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:11 am

This controller has unique qualities.

1. Creating tracks and pulling up instruments from the controller.

2. Control of last-selected slot in drum racks.

And then a few other things that smooth it out. (Changing clip settings? Deleting and duplicating clips? APC doesn't do that)

The performance pads and step sequencer are really nice extras.

Anddd I'm probably leaning more towards excitement over the melodic play modes (mmmmmm). I jam on my Launchpad all the time. I jam on Maschine in chromatic mode all the time. This controller's scale settings and broad range 8x8 combined with visual cues just beats the shit out of them both.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:37 am

Can experienced finger drumming player play with those smaller pad?...

tigali

Post by tigali » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:02 pm

I am totally sold. Can't wait to get one. Anybody want to buy some midi controllers? 'cause I'm getting rid of all of mine now.

J0n35y

Post by J0n35y » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:41 pm

I've said this a couple of times but - horses for courses! I'm not sold myself. Despite being honking on my keyboard I still feel a little bit like a music snob when looking at Push in its chromatic mode - it's making it almost too easy!

The step sequencer looks fantastic and very intuitive but I rarely use step sequencers at all so that functionality is lost on me.

I don't think it is really fair to compare Push with Maschine. Part of Maschines usefulness and appeal is that pretty much everything can be done from the hardware. Push doesnt seem anywhere near as hardware only focussed. Not a criticism but these controllers are sufficiently different that both could perform a role in a set up.

It will be handy to be able to control and browse presets and the likes but I never find using mouse and keyboard in Live to be a hindrance to work flow as it is in other pieces of software.

Personally I'll be sticking with Maschine. Im happy enough with it in midi mode for bashing out ideas in Live but, crucially, when Im in a bit of a creative rut I can fire it up in standalone mode and get that immediate, focussed work flow back.