How many hours you work a week?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Tarekith

Re: How many hours you work a week?

Post by Tarekith » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:23 pm

To do what, just random audio work while they chase the actual jobs? I guess so, maybe for film or something like that, games perhaps. But that's still a ton of work just trying to get your foot in the door too, there's schools like Full Sail pumping out thousands of kids a year for jobs like that.

Meh, find a strength and go solo gets my vote.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:34 am

Tarekith wrote:To do what, just random audio work while they chase the actual jobs? I guess so, maybe for film or something like that, games perhaps. But that's still a ton of work just trying to get your foot in the door too, there's schools like Full Sail pumping out thousands of kids a year for jobs like that.

Well if you love music there’s a lot worse jobs you could have out there.

But I have to say that in my couple years of working in somebody else’s studio there’s a huge amount of monotony that happens, listening to the same thing over and Over and OVER. I don’t think the general public gives it much thought when they hear it took a year to record a 10 track album, spending a year on what results in maybe 50 minutes of audio. Mind numbing.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:12 am

beats me wrote:
Tarekith wrote:To do what, just random audio work while they chase the actual jobs? I guess so, maybe for film or something like that, games perhaps. But that's still a ton of work just trying to get your foot in the door too, there's schools like Full Sail pumping out thousands of kids a year for jobs like that.

Well if you love music there’s a lot worse jobs you could have out there.

But I have to say that in my couple years of working in somebody else’s studio there’s a huge amount of monotony that happens, listening to the same thing over and Over and OVER. I don’t think the general public gives it much thought when they hear it took a year to record a 10 track album, spending a year on what results in maybe 50 minutes of audio. Mind numbing.
yeah, it can make you hate it. I don't know if it's that, or getting older, or not smoking weed or what, but I don't even listen to that much music these days, let alone make it!

It's a sad state of affairs. :roll:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:58 am

So...umm.... smoke more weed?

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:36 am

Tarekith wrote:So...umm.... smoke more weed?
ain't legal in my state just yet! ;-)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:50 am

I don't smoke weed and I listen to plenty of music. So it's possible guys !

Unfortunately it's not all that possible when I'm "working" because any sort of musical complexity will put me off coding. Any words, or interesting complex musical ideas either make me forget what I was meant to be doing, or make me open Live and start noodling.

so it's dirge-like ambient all the way during office hours.
Which as I mentioned run from 2:30 to 2:43 pm.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:44 am

I'm the same way, I can't listen to music and work without ignoring one of the two. Really dig Drone Zone or Space Station on SomaFM.com for those moments.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:40 am

I still listen to a lot of music but a lot of my time that was once music listening time has now been replaced by talk podcast listening time. Shit, talk podcasts sometimes replace what was once social time. I'll pour myself a tall one, slap in my earbuds, and sit on the balcony listening like I'm hanging out with friends. That may seem sad but it's also cheap, safe, and I don't have to apologize to anybody the next morning.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:20 am

i do audio visual work and i do about 35-40 hours a week i reckon. takes me about 20-30 mins to cycle in, depending on where i'm based for the day. when it's quiet (like at the moment) i twat about on my laptop with ableton

Sage

Post by Sage » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:30 pm

eddiex wrote:one thing ive noticed about the recession, it has made companies realize they can do the same amount of work, and be more profitable with less people (who end up killing themselves to pick up the slack, like they are messing up for not being able to do the work of two people) its a disturbing trend. i think 40 hours is reasonable. with overtime here and there. but 10-12 hours everyday...is disgusting.
Thats only a short term solution. One person doing the work of two will very quickly burn out. Doctor then signs them off work for extended period of time, which means the employee can't be sacked, then the company will have to pay for a temp who can't do the work of two people. Even just doing overtime for a week, people end up working slower, so there's not much net gain to it. But most companies are full of short sighted morons.

Quiggers

Post by Quiggers » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:27 pm

I work as an electronic engineer, for a large company who treat me fairly. I make money off of them, they make money off of me. Symbiotic relationship, what's good for me is good for them, and visa versa. I suppose it helps that i find the work stimulating, I worked as a sales man before i went back to collage, 38 hr week decent money but hated the work, co-workers were great people but i needed job satisfaction. I'm happier now.

tkarmakid

Post by tkarmakid » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:02 am

I just started my own business in september. I remember thinking a while back while I was working for some a$$ that if I started my own business, I could work half the time for twice the pay. Wrong! Not yet anyway. Its been non stop for less pay just trying to get this thing going. Just when I thought I knew the value of a dollar, I had to re-learn. I didnt know that you cant know the true value of money until you get out there and try and earn it independantly. I was so hoping to get some more time for music. well, gotta go... :arrow:

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:14 am

I work from 12- 25 hours a week and go to classes maybe 8 hours a week.
I was working 55 plus hours but realized I am way too lazy for that and, would be better off living off student loans until I can find a job that suits my laziness.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Quiggers

Post by Quiggers » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:45 pm

@tkarmakid being your own boss is tricky, no independent union mitigation when you feel you are being worked too hard

best of luck with it

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:43 pm

Quiggers wrote:@tkarmakid being your own boss is tricky, no independent union mitigation when you feel you are being worked too hard

best of luck with it
My boss follows me home and hassles me about work, then he gets in my dreams and creates elaborate nightmares about deadlines and scope creep. He's even there on Hollidays taunting me.
If there are jobs to do outside my remit - I must do them, and if i make a mistake he reminds me of it endlessly. If a hidden cost arises in a job it comes straight out of my wages. Also, he's fucking my girlfriend.