Midi sync issues, ableton not in sync with machines

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
craig11

Midi sync issues, ableton not in sync with machines

Post by craig11 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:13 am

I have an emu drum machine which I know is running at the correct BPM. When I run it through an audio channel of live and the the tempos of live and the machine are set to the same value. If I listen to the metronome of live it is a good 20 BPM slower than the metronome of the drum machine. Anyone know why this might be?

yoda

Re: Midi sync issues, ableton not in sync with machines

Post by yoda » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:16 am

Hello Craig11,

1. Is the drum machine hooked up to your computer via MIDI as well as Audio ??

2. Is your drum machine capable of sending MTC (Midi Time Code) ?

3. Ableton "Likes" to be the slave, rather than being the master. That means you would need set up your drum machine as the Master. That means, when you press play on the drum machine, Ableton will start recording a couple of seconds later. Make sure you set up at least 2 empty bars at the beginning of the sequence in the drum machine. ALL machines need about 2 seconds to recognize and react to the incoming timing signal. If the "sound" starts at Bar 1 - Beat 1, the first couple of seconds wont get recorded.

4. Make sure BOTH are set to the SAME FRAME RATE. Most commonly used for audio is 30fps (frames per second). If they are set to different frame rates, they will drift apart.

Basically, BOTH Ableton (computer) and your drum machine MUST BE working from the same timing clock. If your drum machine is the Master, Ableton will lock to the "Time Code" coming from the drum machine. This is Digitally Syncing two machines to ONE TIMING CLOCK. If two machines are NOT DIGITALLY SYNCED, they will drift apart, because each machine is running on its own internal timing clock. One clock . . . One time.

Your original post is very vague. My guess is that they are not synced together. Give us more detail of how they are hooked together so more people can help.

Hope this will point you in the right direction.

Ed
"Producer Yoda"
Producer/Engineer/Owner
Point Conception Studio
Santa Barbara CA