Ableton Live vs. Logic Pro 9....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fifedawg

Ableton Live vs. Logic Pro 9....

Post by fifedawg » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:09 pm

As an Every-Man/DJ/Music enthusiast/40-something noob to the DAW production thing, I must confess that I was humbled when I first stepped to Live 8 early in 2011. Totall lost and confused. But I never gave up, and after alot of Youtube vids and pestering the guys at Guitar Center, I've made some headway. My background was all analog with MPC's, vinyl and CDJ turntables; Ableton has taken my enjoyment of music to a whole new level.

But in this post, I'm comparing sampling/chopping in Live and Logic Pro, which I also own. In short, the process to chop a song in logic requires slicing, pasting, moving, et al...like 2-4 steps. And the exs24 sampler in logic is not the easiest to deal with.

After an 45-60 mins of working with logic, i slid over to Live 8, and loaded a song, sliced it, chopped it, and was playing the sample in literally 8 minutes. Now, I'm not dissing logic; I'm sure its fine for those who love it. But, with sampling/slicing, session and arrangement views, effects, etc...Live is the most intuitive DAW i've used. Along w/ Logic Pro, I also own Maschine...which I'm quite fond of because it plays well w/ Live also.

Again, I am a Newbie...but this is my 2 cents. Ableton has made music more fun than ever. And when Live 9 drops w/ AUDIO TO MIDI>>>>THE GAME WILL NEVER B THE SAME.

Peace

djadonis206

Re: Ableton Live vs. Logic Pro 9....

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:08 pm

Yeah, Live's pretty cool. However, Logic's got a lot to offer and is a little easier to navigate when you get into arrangement. The thing with Logic is learning the key commands, which takes a while to master. But once you do, it's a pretty solid program.

I agree, the EXS24 needs an overhaul. Just that extra step of saving a new instrument is frustrating. This frustration stems from the ease of Ableton's simpler device. I need a kick, drop it in simpler and be about it, easy.

Personally, I use and love both. And depending on my mood either or get's fired up after I get home from work. The end products are the same.
Last edited by djadonis206 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:16 pm

Logic's arrange editing options are a bit long in the tooth IMO, it's one of my biggest complaints about the program. Not a huge deal, but prgrams like Studio One get it right in so many ways, I haven't even bothered using Logic in months.

Live would be the clear winner for me if we had better (more) key commands, having to rely on the mouse for so many things slows me down.

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:23 pm

I was on Logic (7, then 8) for a few years before trying out Live properly. My first thoughts on Live were "what the fuck is this arrangement shit?" Then I was like "derp".

Haven't looked back since.

I'd be curious to see what Logic X can bring to the table, but afaiac, it had better open up the workflow to more innovative ejaculations and creative fuckery.
Last edited by d.reamonn on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:08 am

I think it's comparing apple and oranges.

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:19 am

kitekrazy wrote:I think it's comparing apple and oranges.
I prefer apples.
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:28 am

logic is old. why not get Live?

poonti

Post by poonti » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:04 am

It's illogical for me to vote for logic, because I use PC's, so Live wins!

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:24 am

Tarekith wrote:Logic's arrange editing options are a bit long in the tooth IMO, it's one of my biggest complaints about the program. Not a huge deal, but prgrams like Studio One get it right in so many ways, I haven't even bothered using Logic in months.

Live would be the clear winner for me if we had better (more) key commands, having to rely on the mouse for so many things slows me down.
Could you elaborate on a few of the ways that Studio One shines in this regard?

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:47 am

I recently switched back from live to logic, to try to jump start creativity. I love logic, but switching back has made me realize how "money" live actually is. the thing about live though, it's super easy to get stuck in session view. (IMO)
I think I will probably be switching back to live, pretty soon.
It's been a fun experiment though, messing with logic, now that I know a little bit more than when I first started out on it.

About logic, I wonder if there will be a logic 10? I know the latest version of final cut is supposed to be the last, I wonder if logic will be the same way?
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:44 am

funken wrote:
eddiex wrote:the thing about live though, it's super easy to get stuck in session view.
You can make a complete song in Session View, that plays through from start to finish, with global automation in Arrange at the same time. You launch one scene after another via follow actions. You can have fills and crashes etc either in Arrange or Session at the same time. You just have to know how to do it. This way you have the best of both worlds, the flexibility of Session but turned into a linear structure. I've done a tutorial on it.
ive been using live for a few years now,i know how to do it :wink: but thanks anyways.
I agree having session and arrange gives you a lot of flexibility. there is just something about having ONLY a linear timeline, that makes me work differently, especially when it comes to arranging. I feel, It backs me into a corner. It forces me to think about a song as whole vs. separate parts. That (IMO) helps me write better.
:lol: Not that I'm writing anything amazing, but to me, there is a noticeable difference (not necessarily for the better) in the way I work, post ableton.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:10 am

fifedawg wrote:As an Every-Man/DJ/Music enthusiast/40-something noob to the DAW production thing, I must confess that I was humbled when I first stepped to Live 8 early in 2011. Totall lost and confused. But I never gave up, and after alot of Youtube vids and pestering the guys at Guitar Center, I've made some headway. My background was all analog with MPC's, vinyl and CDJ turntables; Ableton has taken my enjoyment of music to a whole new level.

But in this post, I'm comparing sampling/chopping in Live and Logic Pro, which I also own. In short, the process to chop a song in logic requires slicing, pasting, moving, et al...like 2-4 steps. And the exs24 sampler in logic is not the easiest to deal with.

After an 45-60 mins of working with logic, i slid over to Live 8, and loaded a song, sliced it, chopped it, and was playing the sample in literally 8 minutes. Now, I'm not dissing logic; I'm sure its fine for those who love it. But, with sampling/slicing, session and arrangement views, effects, etc...Live is the most intuitive DAW i've used. Along w/ Logic Pro, I also own Maschine...which I'm quite fond of because it plays well w/ Live also.

Again, I am a Newbie...but this is my 2 cents. Ableton has made music more fun than ever. And when Live 9 drops w/ AUDIO TO MIDI>>>>THE GAME WILL NEVER B THE SAME.

Peace
just out of curiosity, you aren't, A TRIBE CALLED QUEST Phife Dawg, are you? :D if you are, your stuff rules! I just bought "the low end theory" on vinyl last week.
Last edited by eddiex on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:33 pm

nowtime wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Logic's arrange editing options are a bit long in the tooth IMO, it's one of my biggest complaints about the program. Not a huge deal, but prgrams like Studio One get it right in so many ways, I haven't even bothered using Logic in months.

Could you elaborate on a few of the ways that Studio One shines in this regard?
Just useful things like being able to quickly zoom one track, zoom out all tracks (vertically & horizontally), bounce in place, toggle automation view, things like that. When you know the key commands, moving around the arrange screen is SO much faster.

fifedawg

Post by fifedawg » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:18 am

eddiex wrote:
fifedawg wrote:As an Every-Man/DJ/Music enthusiast/40-something noob to the DAW production thing, I must confess that I was humbled when I first stepped to Live 8 early in 2011. Totall lost and confused. But I never gave up, and after alot of Youtube vids and pestering the guys at Guitar Center, I've made some headway. My background was all analog with MPC's, vinyl and CDJ turntables; Ableton has taken my enjoyment of music to a whole new level.

Peace
just out of curiosity, you aren't, A TRIBE CALLED QUEST Phife Dawg, are you? :D if you are, your stuff rules! I just bought "the low end theory" on vinyl last week.

Wish I was, but not quite (he spells his "Phifedawg")......but you're right: Their music RULES!!! I highly recommend you get their entire catalog. Low End certainly is a classic, but "Midnight Marauder's" may be their most pivotal work. The Documentary is dope, as well!!! Peace!!

scottie b

Post by scottie b » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:14 am

funken wrote:
eddiex wrote:the thing about live though, it's super easy to get stuck in session view.
You can make a complete song in Session View, that plays through from start to finish, with global automation in Arrange at the same time. You launch one scene after another via follow actions. You can have fills and crashes etc either in Arrange or Session at the same time. You just have to know how to do it. This way you have the best of both worlds, the flexibility of Session but turned into a linear structure. I've done a tutorial on it.
is it possible that u upload the tutorial?
thx in advance either way