Ableton Live 9. First Impressions??? what do you think?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
geometrygod

Re: Ableton Live 9. First Impressions??? what do you think?

Post by geometrygod » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:36 pm

Drum rack is awesome! No need to adjust Velocity/Release anymore. Feels like the MPC when I hit pads after importing sounds. Two thumbs up!

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:56 pm

quiet_ou wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:
quiet_ou wrote:the preview function on the new browser is fabulous. What I have been wanting all along
Have you noticed yet that it's only for factory content? Save a preset -> no preview.
Well that seems obvious. There can only be previews if someone took the trouble to generate and record a sample. And I don't need it for my own presets - I know what they sound like, coz I made them :)
Can you actually do this yourself? Create preview files for your own instrument presets. Like you can create custom remote scripts, your own clips, Set templates and pretty much anything else...

I'd do it when I'm bored. It shouldn't take too long and would actually be pretty cool and make the User Library much more useful.

geometrygod

Post by geometrygod » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:32 pm

Convolution reverb pro in M4L is AWESOME.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:35 pm

BoddAH wrote:
Have you noticed yet that it's only for factory content? Save a preset -> no preview.

Can you actually do this yourself? Create preview files for your own instrument presets. Like you can create custom remote scripts, your own clips, Set templates and pretty much anything else...

I'd do it when I'm bored. It shouldn't take too long and would actually be pretty cool and make the User Library much more useful.
No.
I tried a few basic tests and couldn't get a preview for my own content. Note: if you tweak a parameter of a factory preset and hit save that's the same, no preview.

coax

Post by coax » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:00 am

Generally cool update, but I don't like how the browser folders close when I open a different folder. I used to have my favorite effects open and all the others closed, now there is a ton of clicking just to do the same thing, and I can't find an option to revert to the old 'saved open states' of live 8. Maybe there is one?

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:08 am

but wait im really missing are the brown skins - the skins which are included are all to bright to work here.
any ideas on how to reskin it?
You can change the brightness/hue/intensity in the Look and Feel section of Preferences

Hue will let you change any of the skins to be whatever color you want

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:08 am

Generally cool update, but I don't like how the browser folders close when I open a different folder. I used to have my favorite effects open and all the others closed, now there is a ton of clicking just to do the same thing, and I can't find an option to revert to the old 'saved open states' of live 8. Maybe there is one?
Drag the old folder to be in your Places section now, and you'll always have one-click access to it

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:16 am

I am liking how you can trigger a drum rack sound, and have instant control of its parameters :D

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:52 am

I've run the beta to check it for bugs I had with L8 until one of the most recent betas, and those of L9 also seemed to fix it. But I never had all the packs etc and proper library installed with beta 9 so never tried any 'proper' tunes with it. I'm currently downloading, but also using this new Live opportunity for reassembing my library from scratch, so while getting the new browser with it, a bit more sound/sample/clip organisation is a hopeful side-effect!

I'm looking forward a lot to Max as I never had it for L8 Suite as I could never quite justify the extra cost, but that's one of the biggest things I'm really looking forward to experimenting with as a nice bonus on top of buying the other general improvements. TBH there aren't really any new instruments as such, other than that, but it's a whole added avenue of exploration. There's still a lot of little things I'd like improved, even as simple as the red rectangle for an APC40 in arrange, not just the current session view only, but in general from what I've seen I'm relatively happy they've at least got a seemingly stable upgrade with some nice improvements, if not overly ecstatic as if all my hopes and great ideas for it were fully fulfilled. Session automation is also something I never pined for particularly for the kinda music I write, but know will probably make me spend longer experimenting in session view with synth parts to the general benefit of my tracks and songwriting, and make the "jamming ideas" part of Live get pushed further into the "full song" part of writing/playing.
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:02 am

P.S. From the beta I very much liked "seeing" what I was doing with the new compression and seemed to get better sounds quicker when I could see the effect of it too. EQ8 expanded view is damn handy as well. Those 2 tweaks could be a lot more important to me long term than some of the more immediate 'new' things. It's the daily usage improvements that really count more getting the sound you hear in your head out and recorded, than the fancy new toys thing. The DAW is effectively the OS of your music world, if the system doesn't run nicely the apps, or synths/plugins/music in this case, will feel shitty to use..

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:29 am

Finally running my legit copy & looking at the download packs.

That is a shitload of content

8O 8O 8O

8) 8) 8)

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

K1D1M35N

Post by K1D1M35N » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:47 am

Absolutely no buy for me atm, as I already own the Glue, a Conv Rev and a FF EQ, so basically there's nothing much left (do not need that Audio to Midi toys even if they might be fun).

When I go enought money (and time) to throw myself into Push, then maybe....

h3rtz

Post by h3rtz » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:56 pm

I had the first crash after 2 min and now can't even start anymore...

Edit: live just went up again after 10 min of recovering the demo song lol

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:44 pm

The new audio effects, with the wav displayed in the effect, are most, most awesome.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:36 pm

geometrygod wrote:Drum rack is awesome! No need to adjust Velocity/Release anymore. Feels like the MPC when I hit pads after importing sounds. Two thumbs up!
whatcha talkin about?
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software