Live 9 Pricing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

How satisfied are you with the launch of 9 and the pricing offered

Highly satisfied, good effort.
14%
Satisfied, its worth it
20%
Meh Don't care (aka not a starving musician)
11%
Disappointed, come on Ableton
45%
Pissed off, suck it
9%

Total votes: 44

jayron

Live 9 Pricing

Post by jayron » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:39 pm

So how is it that I've paid for 8 Suite two years ago and don't get an upgrade to suite for free? It's completely unfair when someone who just upgraded to Suite 8 two weeks ago gets 9 for free. To add injury to insult you give us ONE WEEK to use this "discount". Why this is so hard for Ableton to fix is beyond me. $249 is 249% more than 0. These newcomers get this product without having to scrounge around for more cash for the upgrade. You give them a chance and for what? Because they could have bought 8 just weeks before the announcement of the release of 9? How long have have you guys know about the release of 9? I suspect more than a year ago. People don't get a free 2014 model car because they just bought the 2013. I have been a loyal customer and an advocate for Ableton since I bought it. Not just as a product but as a company. Until your announcement of Live 9 and the release of your pricing on your website I LOVED the customer support and really thought you guys had this figured out.

*UPDATE The poll is doing ok vote and be heard!!! :P

**UPDATE To ease my sour mood about not having my hands on Live 9 today I was doing a google search on the live 9 beta and came across this link which is not in plain sight on the website. It vexes me that its not clearly visible but at least I found it. https://www.ableton.com/en/trial/ again COME ON ABLETON!!!
Last edited by jayron on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by 102455 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:43 pm

jayron wrote:People don't get a free 2014 model car because they just bought the 2013.
But you think you should get a free car because you bought one in 2011?

dysanfel

Post by dysanfel » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:45 pm

I am not happy about having to upgrade to L9 and then buying Push later because I can't afford it now. Then, having to sell an extra license of L9 Intro that I don't need or want.
Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.13.x, Presonus FS, Live 10.x
Home Rig - i9 eight-core Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlett 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 10.x

jayron

Post by jayron » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:50 pm

102455 wrote:
jayron wrote:People don't get a free 2014 model car because they just bought the 2013.
But you think you should get a free car because you bought one in 2011?
Buying a new year model should be the same price for everyone no matter when you bought the old model.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:00 pm

I don't get your beef to be honest? If they do not offer a free upgrade to live 8 users why would anyone even buy live 8 after the announcement of live 9? Ableton are a business & are trying to attract new users by offering a good deal, all these new users will have to pay the upgrade cost to live 10.

jayron

Post by jayron » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:01 pm

My overall displeasure comes with the fact that the discount period is one week. The people who bought Live 8 and upgraded to Suite had a discount period of four months. I believe it is worth it and still have a lot of hope for the possibilities that Ableton can bring to the music community but, at the same time I'm disappointed with the Ableton's lack of recognition for customer loyalty.

nonnus

Post by nonnus » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:10 pm

in all fairness, the most ridiculous is that regular upgrade price of 299 usd for suite 8 + m4l owners, what are they smoking in berlin these days? must be good stuff :P

199 usd tops as regular price is my opinion, anything above that is just being greedy

ps: i tried to control myself not to mention that you buy the full logic pro these days with that kind of money, but who really cares about logic around here...

jayron

Post by jayron » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Rosko wrote:I don't get your beef to be honest? If they do not offer a free upgrade to live 8 users why would anyone even buy live 8 after the announcement of live 9? Ableton are a business & are trying to attract new users by offering a good deal, all these new users will have to pay the upgrade cost to live 10.

Consider Apple and the release of new iPhones or whatever products they release. When something new is announced people have the option of waiting for the new one or buying the current model. What they are selling is an improvement on the old product. It is essentially the same phone but with new features. The people that want the new features included will wait and buy the new product. The people who just need a phone don't care and will just buy the new one and pay to upgrade to the next model later but they still pay the same price as everyone else. Apple still makes money on old models even after the announcement of new product. Sales may be down but only for a limited period of time. Why would Ableton want users to use old products in the first place? In terms of software it is always better for everyone to use the same product. It makes it easier for the company to commit its resources to the new product in terms of support if everyone is on the same page.

jayron

Post by jayron » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:23 pm

nonnus wrote:in all fairness, the most ridiculous is that regular upgrade price of 299 usd for suite 8 + m4l owners, what are they smoking in berlin these days? must be good stuff :P

199 usd tops as regular price is my opinion, anything above that is just being greedy

ps: i tried to control myself not to mention that you buy the full logic pro these days with that kind of money, but who really cares about logic around here...
I feel that 199 is just. That's the price for Live 9 but only if you buy Push with it, without its 249. If it was a one week $50 discount from that everything would be perfect.

Post by 102455 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:27 pm

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:29 pm

I'm pissed because I wanted to buy Live 9 Suite for students today instead of yesterday. It seemed less complicated to me to just buy Live 9 instead of "Live 8 with free upgrade to Live 9" but BAM, despite the education discount 40% still being valid (supposedly) it suddenly costs 30 € more.

Now I feel like an idiot. I'd REALLY feel like an idiot for buying it at today's price. Come on it's not even been 24 hours. I obviously would have gotten it yesterday if I knew this...

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:33 pm

Surely it is too ealry to tell?

I am going to road test live for a bit before I make up my mind.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:35 pm

the car analogy is a bad one. with a car you're getting a whole new piece of metal (plastic in some cases). anyway...

considering the new features and all the new library stuff, the price i paid for the upgrade from v7 to v9 Standard is generous, $108

hell, i paid that much and more for one plugin on many occasions

WTF with all the bitching???!!!

evangelink

Post by evangelink » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:41 pm

jayron wrote:So how is it that I've paid for 8 Suite two years ago and don't get an upgrade to suite for free? It's completely unfair when someone who just upgraded to Suite 8 two weeks ago gets 9 for free. To add injury to insult you give us ONE WEEK to use this "discount". Why this is so hard for Ableton to fix is beyond me. $249 is 249% more than 0. These newcomers get this product without having to scrounge around for more cash for the upgrade. You give them a chance and for what? Because they could have bought 8 just weeks before the announcement of the release of 9? How long have have you guys know about the release of 9? I suspect more than a year ago. People don't get a free 2014 model car because they just bought the 2013. I have been a loyal customer and an advocate for Ableton since I bought it. Not just as a product but as a company. Until your announcement of Live 9 and the release of your pricing on your website I LOVED the customer support and really thought you guys had this figured out.
It's called business pal.

Or you can just wait three months before the release of Live 10, then you can laugh at everyone who's paid to upgrade now.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:47 pm

jayron wrote:So how is it that I've paid for 8 Suite two years ago and don't get an upgrade to suite for free? It's completely unfair when someone who just upgraded to Suite 8 two weeks ago gets 9 for free. To add injury to insult you give us ONE WEEK to use this "discount". Why this is so hard for Ableton to fix is beyond me. $249 is 249% more than 0. These newcomers get this product without having to scrounge around for more cash for the upgrade. You give them a chance and for what? Because they could have bought 8 just weeks before the announcement of the release of 9? How long have have you guys know about the release of 9? I suspect more than a year ago. People don't get a free 2014 model car because they just bought the 2013. I have been a loyal customer and an advocate for Ableton since I bought it. Not just as a product but as a company. Until your announcement of Live 9 and the release of your pricing on your website I LOVED the customer support and really thought you guys had this figured out.
You completely forgot that you also had two years to use Live 8 Suite to have fun and produce music while the people just getting it got nothing at all (or 2 weeks of Live 8, yay!).

People tend to consider boxed, "unlimited" duration licence software to be products that you own but in fact they're MUCH more like a service. You paid more because you had A LOT more time to use the service. Think of paid upgrades like some sort of membership fee and it all makes sense. You don't HAVE to pay but the fact that your software will completely stop to be updated, supported and eventually obsolete is a pretty strong incentive...