apc40's TERRIBLE build. breaks easily????

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BlackLotusLuke

apc40's TERRIBLE build. breaks easily????

Post by BlackLotusLuke » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:45 pm

im super pissed off cos i really like what this controller does. but the quality is soooo bad. the crossfader gets wonky so easily. the faders stop working. the knobs fall off. i mean seriously? couldnt akai make the build of this thing better? all my friends experience the same problems as i do. im almost getting sick of it and wanna buy something else. does anybody else also have a flimsy apc?

skatr2

Re: apc40's TERRIBLE build. breaks easily????

Post by skatr2 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:07 pm

Mine was pretty rock solid...and I had mine in a messenger bag all the time going through the motions. The small caps on the knobs fell off...but nothing to lose my sanity over. Never had a fader issue...those parts fall off the best mixers if you aren't careful.

nonnus

Post by nonnus » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:17 pm

faulty couple of faders and knobs here, despite having been so lightly used that all thr knob caps are still in place...
(i suppose it could have been lousy protection while traveling with it applying too much pressure, not sure)

currently deciding if i shall try to fix them myself,
i saw some site with replacement parts but not sure they had the potentiometer for the knobs :/

if anyone has any recomendations about european source for apc parts it would be very welcome :)

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:25 pm

I feel ya man. My channel 2 fader is messed up. If I move it the software fader jumps around un-controllably. I've confirmed it's hard-ware problem because I tested it on Traktor and it does the same thing. I love my APC40 and I am also deciding if I should order a replacement fader and fix it myself but I have no soldering experience or anything like that so I'm not sure.

The one thing I LOVE about the APC40 is how the knobs auto-map to devices and macro's in Live. Are there any other controllers that do that?

BlackLotusLuke

Post by BlackLotusLuke » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:26 pm

Theo Void wrote:I feel ya man. My channel 2 fader is messed up. If I move it the software fader jumps around un-controllably. I've confirmed it's hard-ware problem because I tested it on Traktor and it does the same thing. I love my APC40 and I am also deciding if I should order a replacement fader and fix it myself but I have no soldering experience or anything like that so I'm not sure.

The one thing I LOVE about the APC40 is how the knobs auto-map to devices and macro's in Live. Are there any other controllers that do that?
forgot to mention that in the middle of a gig my master fader started going up and down rapidly and uncontrollably. had to take it in to get fixed luckily still under warranty

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:40 am

Theo Void wrote:I feel ya man. My channel 2 fader is messed up. If I move it the software fader jumps around un-controllably. I've confirmed it's hard-ware problem because I tested it on Traktor and it does the same thing. I love my APC40 and I am also deciding if I should order a replacement fader and fix it myself but I have no soldering experience or anything like that so I'm not sure.

Lots do that, including mine (Novation SL-25 MKII) but i don't of any that you can switch from clips to devices without touching the mouse like you can on the APC40. Which is why I really want one. I'll probably buy one very soon and then get Push in about 6 months. Used APC40's are <$200 these days.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:45 am

You can get replacement faders from MPCStuff, but the stems on the faders are a bit shorter than the originals.
I saw someone post where to get proper faders somewhere, but I forget where that is.
However, the hardest part about replacing them is dismantling the APC40, especially if you have never opened yours before.
Actually replacing the faders on the board is pretty easy.
Make sure you get a little soldering vacuum tool thingy to help remove the solder cleanly.

But yeah, APC40's average about 1 1/2 years before they start fucking up, especially the faders.

BlackLotusLuke

Post by BlackLotusLuke » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:45 am

thats fucking bullshit. this thing is supposed to be a tool used for live frequently. yet its so week. and im in south africa. its such a hassle to order spare parts all the time. has anyone use the livid ohm64?

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:46 pm

Personally part of the reason I like the APC40 is because they are so cheap and accessible. But I guess that depends on where you live and all that. Yeah the ohm64 is great but the thing is pricey. What, 3 times the price now? I have a Livid Code and ill tell you what, if that thing broke id be really pissed. Compared to my APC, id still be upset about it but its much cheaper and easier to find a replacement. Seems like with the APC it more a matter of time, first a fader starts going and then its a cascading affect. It can be such a staple for live performance though, with heavy use in a live situation $200 every few years is kind of a drop in the bucket for the functionality it provides.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:00 pm

I don't think one should have to replace a piece of hard-ware every few years. That's really shitty. It doesn't really matter how much it costs, a company like AKAI should be putting out better stuff than that.
That said, I'll admit that I beat the shit outta my APC40. I had it all mapped out to Traktor and carried it around to a bunch of gigs for about 6 months. I mix a lot w/ the channel faders (rather than the crossfader) and so I was slamming the faders(mostly 1 and 2) up and down. But still, this is a performance controller and performing is what it's built for, so performing shouldn't render the thing use=less.
If my S2 did that I'd be pissed!!!
I still love to use my APC for producing though and the channel 2 fader really just fucks it all up. I'll probably try and fix it.

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:57 pm

Theo Void wrote:I don't think one should have to replace a piece of hard-ware every few years. That's really shitty. It doesn't really matter how much it costs, a company like AKAI should be putting out better stuff than that.
That said, I'll admit that I beat the shit outta my APC40. I had it all mapped out to Traktor and carried it around to a bunch of gigs for about 6 months. I mix a lot w/ the channel faders (rather than the crossfader) and so I was slamming the faders(mostly 1 and 2) up and down. But still, this is a performance controller and performing is what it's built for, so performing shouldn't render the thing use=less.
If my S2 did that I'd be pissed!!!
I still love to use my APC for producing though and the channel 2 fader really just fucks it all up. I'll probably try and fix it.
actually hardware replacement for a midi controller every few years is probably not too bad. Its not like its an inherent musical instrument. Its a construction of buttons, pots, and faders that is made to be used and handled. Synthesizers that spend their life in studios should last long periods. pieces like the APC are at least somewhat intentionally left to be disposable. You use it, it will break overtime. You use it in performance, its bound to break a lot sooner.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:57 pm

It's a really easy fix, and the replacement faders are inexpensive.

tebers

Post by tebers » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:09 pm

someone posted the link in another thread. I bookmarked it as i Thought can be handy if i need it in future .

http://es.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ALPS ... U4a1m7VH8C

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:53 pm

That's, mouser has the right height on the fader stems, I think. MPCstuff.com sent me some that are a wee bit short, still works though

h3rtz

Post by h3rtz » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:27 am

any ideas on encoders? i had a faulty one on mine. getting it replaced took almost 4 (!) months and 60 euros! if another one fails, i need a better plan.