Just got ableton running on surface pro

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
skatr2

Just got ableton running on surface pro

Post by skatr2 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:49 pm

Going through the motions so far, but as of yet it severely doesn't meet expectations. Touch screen environment is great for selecting specific things (fader position, etc), but can't drag faders up and down or pots either. Actually pots just jump to the top volume automatically. Same thing happens with mouse drag from the attachable keyboard. Can select the pot though and microadjust from the directional arrows. Better than nothing I guess. Loads up quick so far though. Gonna put it through the ableton test set in the other thread in as sec.

skatr2

Re: Just got ableton running on surface pro

Post by skatr2 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:57 pm

Sitting around 28% with spikes up to 40%. Not too shabby given the size and portability, and for basic song writing/drafting. Not something for heavily involved sets though like DJ usage. Haven't gotten komplete on it though...no external DVD yet.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:12 pm

Did you try using the Options.txt method for the absolute draw mode, or something like that? It uses different pointer behavior for faders and knobs.

Also, how is automation drawing?

Guillermo Barrancos

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Surface Pro has decent specs tho.

Core i5 CPU, 4GB RAM, flash disc and USB 3.0 port, so you can connect a very fast external drive if you want too.

PS. The Pro comes with a pen, so why not use that for more precise touch handling? ;)

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:21 pm

Pen has the same effect. Any attempt to scroll knobs in ableton causes it to max out and not move. Mind you I haven't upped to live 9 yet. Cant say for sure what's changed for that. Hopefully a LOT.

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:22 pm

options.txt method seemed to do nothing too

Moosebear

Post by Moosebear » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:37 pm

Thanks for posting about this. Early days for touch screen and music, but I suspect one day we'll all be doing music on a super-touch sensitive screen or surface of some kind. The Push might dominate for a time, but a surface that can look like *anything* might ultimately make a more flexible interface. Like a drum-head that is also a computer-screen, that's what I want.

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:55 pm

All graphic places seem to be moving fine (eq8, etc). I can drag instruments to their slots easily...but cant scroll left and right across open instruments (only select across from the overview pane at the bottom). also all scrolling within windows needs to be done with the scroll bars. If you scroll inside a window (clips or instrument lists), it highlights.

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:34 pm

Envelopes work well inside draw mode. Outside of drawmode, they do the typical scroll function by going straight to max. Another thing I noticed was the attachable mouse/keyboard has the same problem when dragging knobs, faders, or envelopes. Most of this will be mitigated once my push comes in, but until then I will be fumbling a bit.

hps909

Post by hps909 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:04 am

yeah the touch interface on win 8 tablets is rubbish for ableton .. actually win 8 in general is rubbish on something the size of a tablet .. it's a desktop OS as much as they say it's touch optimised.. opening an app designed to use with a full scale interface on a 10" screen is like masturbating with a cheese grater ...slightly amusing but mostly painful
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:27 am

so far as far as touch functionality outside of abes, its really not as bad as some people make it out to be. Its done everything I want out of it. But its more in ableton's court to make the program more responsive to touch. What works well is clip selection and overall navigation around ableton. Combined with push, all you really need a touch screen for is that overall navigation as you use push for your music making. Will be cool to give live 9 the paces, but will have to wait on that.

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:11 pm

Impulse 49 works like a champ so far. Was able to throw on a USB mouse and had the same problems as with touch screen and the surface mouse. Everything in Live 8 on Surface Pro jumps to the highest level when you attempt to drag. Also when I grabbed a note on the left side, it pulled the length of the note to the beginning of the clip. leftclicking to the right side of the note insta-dragged the note to its beginning. I did figure out why things weren't recording on the fly though. Had overdub deselected <,<. At least there's some on the fly recording. I did address it with ableton tech support and asked if Live 9 had some updates to it.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:09 pm

AFAIK, when we use multitouch the software need to support multitouch.
hps909 wrote:yeah the touch interface on win 8 tablets is rubbish for ableton .. actually win 8 in general is rubbish on something the size of a tablet .. it's a desktop OS as much as they say it's touch optimised.. opening an app designed to use with a full scale interface on a 10" screen is like masturbating with a cheese grater ...slightly amusing but mostly painful
Yea but sadly it's still 10x better than shit OSX10.8.

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:38 pm

normally I would understand the multitouch scenario. But the hiccups are actually progressing to normal mouse.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:51 am

contact Ableton support.. they might have a solution for touchscreen devices