(42474187) Disable "Ableton Index" possible?

Please join the new beta forum at https://ableton.centercode.com/login.html
soundsliketree

(42474187) Disable "Ableton Index" possible?

Post by soundsliketree » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:47 pm

In Live 9 there is now a process that runs intermittently to scan all of one's "places" in the browser. If you open activity monitor (on a mac) you can see it running - and it often registers in the 90%s in the CPU column. Well, I don't want that happening when I'm performing - I like to eliminate all extraneous processes and variable where possible. But is it possible to turn off Live's indexing? Or at least know when it happens so I can do my best to avoid it happening on stage?

Is anyone else frustrated or nervous about this?

infernal.machine

Re: Disable "Ableton Index" possible?

Post by infernal.machine » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:49 pm

Join one of the 5 million other threads about this.

soundsliketree

Post by soundsliketree » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:04 pm

I did a quick search before posting and didn't see another thread where anyone specifically asked (or answered) whether it's somehow possible to disable the function (at least temporarily). My bad if I missed it. If you could point me to a relevant thread then I'd be grateful.

If it isn't possible to switch it from *auto update* to *manual* then I'll certainly clamor for that in the "feature wishlist" section. That seems like a no brainer to me.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:07 pm

You cannot disable it.

Read complaints here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190475

soundsliketree

Post by soundsliketree » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:31 pm

Thanks for the link. Indeed it is full of many passionate opinions about various aspects of the browser experience.

I actually don't have a problem with the browser in general. For instance, I LOVE the CMD-F/name/RTN/RTN (i.e. mouseless) plug-in instantiation procedure.

However, I do think not giving the option to turn off automatic indexing is bafflingly short-sighted.

(And simple bookmarks were nice - can we have those back?)

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:57 am

Hi,

Disabling the indexer would in many cases leave you with a Database and itemlist unsynced - meaning dead links in the browser or new items not added. There are still improvements tracked for the browser experience, what you mention here is tracked.

Concerning the simple bookmarks, you can drop folders into places (the user lib) and configure your own simple bookmarks.

Cheers
Mads

Post by 102455 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:07 pm

[mal] wrote:Disabling the indexer would in many cases leave you with a Database and itemlist unsynced
The solution is NOT TO USE THE DATABASE!

To put it simply, revert to the Live 8 browser method.

This is what many Ableton customers have been asking for.

They have also asked for the ability to visit a folder "on the fly", without needing to add it to the database (which requires scanning) first - as it used to be in the Live 8 browser with the three folder icons.

Do Ableton really want customers to stick with Live 8 simply because they dislike the browser in 9?